U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,100,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Being that the average age is 85, it will take me about 30 more years before I fit in there. Maybe I will like it better then.
Wow, yes, I'd say that you were probably well under the age of their target market! Try looking at some "active senior" communities that are for 55+ rather than the CCRC type of community now -- the turnover in good ones is usually lightening fast. You could be in a good senior community for 20 years before you needed the kind of services of a CCRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 02:50 PM

5,961 posts, read 5,312,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
-- the turnover in good ones is usually lightening fast.
We always joke if they say no vacancy in the morning you should still call back in the afternoon.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:59 PM

29,784 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Thank you, TuborgP. I hadn't yet given thought to the fact that it might be difficult to fill the CCRC in the future. Also, if most seniors are looking at the newly built CCRC because of average age of residents, that makes the older CCRC harder to fill too. There is also the issue that 30 years into the future (at a time I might be moving into a CCRC) the things people are interested in doing or capable of doing may be very changed due to advances in medicine or technology. So there is also the question of whether or not the older CCRC buildings will be able to accommodate those advances.

And, for me and my peers, any CCRC being built now will be an old CCRC by the time we are ready to move in.

I would so much prefer not to be this up in the air regarding my future.
You are not really that much in the air. You have a plane that is designed and looking for a place to eventually land. Keep it well fueled and navigating in the direction you want to head and one day that landing spot will jump at you and say me, me me.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:11 AM

5,791 posts, read 4,846,494 times
I've just lived through the process of finding my MIL an independent living facility and then over the years we have had to move her to assisted living. I looked at many places. MIL did not have the money for a CCRC with a buy-in, and we wouldn't have gone with that if she did. I don't see how the buy-in plus the monthly costs are justified. In addition it would have locked her into a location that wouldn't have worked for us in our own retirement, or if we decided to move at a later date. We couldn't dream of not having her near to us, so we could help her in whatever she needs. We're her health care proxies, and have her POA. She trusts us, but not many other people. In addition we are her only living relatives except for distant nieces who really don't give a damn.

She previously lived in a small 55+ community in Palm Desert. They rented there, and really loved it until Pop died, when she was 79. Then she rented a home closer to us. Eventually she wanted IL, as solo living was lonely for her, and she moved into a very nice one in the Sonoma, CA area, where she was already living. The costs for IL there were from $3500 to $4000 and they had an AL wing which cost more. After we all moved to TN, we found her an IL place, with no buy-in (except a non-refundable $1500 "community fee") at about $2100/month. Now, at 89, she requires someone to administer her meds, due to memory loss, and she has trouble with any sort of appliances or technology, so having help available at any time is perfect for her. We moved her to an AL place 10 minutes from us. She currently pays $2500/month, with a 5% per year increase. They have a memory care unit which she may progress to, at an additional cost. There was no buy-in and the lease is month-to-month.

My point is CCRC is not necessary really, and seems to me to be a waste of money when facilities that are similar are available without the buy-in. It can also eliminate the possibility of moving to a different community if your support system moves away.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-15-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've just lived through the process of finding my MIL an independent living facility and then over the years we have had to move her to assisted living. I looked at many places. MIL did not have the money for a CCRC with a buy-in, and we wouldn't have gone with that if she did. I don't see how the buy-in plus the monthly costs are justified. In addition it would have locked her into a location that wouldn't have worked for us in our own retirement, or if we decided to move at a later date. We couldn't dream of not having her near to us, so we could help her in whatever she needs. We're her health care proxies, and have her POA. She trusts us, but not many other people. In addition we are her only living relatives except for distant nieces who really don't give a damn.

She previously lived in a small 55+ community in Palm Desert. They rented there, and really loved it until Pop died, when she was 79. Then she rented a home closer to us. Eventually she wanted IL, as solo living was lonely for her, and she moved into a very nice one in the Sonoma, CA area, where she was already living. The costs for IL there were from $3500 to $4000 and they had an AL wing which cost more. After we all moved to TN, we found her an IL place, with no buy-in (except a non-refundable $1500 "community fee") at about $2100/month. Now, at 89, she requires someone to administer her meds, due to memory loss, and she has trouble with any sort of appliances or technology, so having help available at any time is perfect for her. We moved her to an AL place 10 minutes from us. She currently pays $2500/month, with a 5% per year increase. They have a memory care unit which she may progress to, at an additional cost. There was no buy-in and the lease is month-to-month.

My point is CCRC is not necessary really, and seems to me to be a waste of money when facilities that are similar are available without the buy-in. It can also eliminate the possibility of moving to a different community if your support system moves away.
I bolded the above. What would MIL have done without your help?

For those considering CCRCs, there's often one overriding factor: we don't want to burden our children with decisions like the above. In many cases, there are no children to assume the burden.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:31 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I bolded the above. What would MIL have done without your help?

For those considering CCRCs, there's often one overriding factor: we don't want to burden our children with decisions like the above. In many cases, there are no children to assume the burden.
Or to assume the role of helper

Old 11-15-2016, 09:36 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,261,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Or to assume the role of helper
Exactly

Old 11-15-2016, 01:40 PM

3,587 posts, read 4,935,108 times
I read the article in the AARP magazine, too. Very interesting. The Villages in Florida sounds nice, and my friend's father lives there. The thing that turned me off was that it was almost 100% white and very conservative. I wonder what kind of welcome my partner and I would have as a gay couple moving there. I'm sure there must be others, since more than 100,000 people live there. And as more boomers retire, they're bound to be getting more same-sex couples retiring to places like that. I just don't want homophobic graffiti popping up on my front door.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:54 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,582,652 times
Many gay people live in the Villages

All welcome

A lot of untruths about acceptance there

Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM

3,587 posts, read 4,935,108 times
That's good to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement