Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:38 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Agreed. I would like to know what is included in the medical costs. That look very reasonable.
I agree that overall the costs look reasonable for a single like myself in a Studio. I also wonder what is included in the medical costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 03:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I read in Erickson literature that the buy-in allows them to pay for the building of the facilities in the first place, plus in some CCRCs, the fee does not go up dramatically for increased levels of care.

I could see living in a CCRC if unable to drive anymore. But the buy-in could present a problem, although I should be in fine shape for monthly fees. I don't care about leaving an estate, but that is one issue with the large buy-in.

I just want an indoor pool and someone to cook for me!
There are models designed for folks with income and not cash for the buy in

Old 11-22-2016, 03:26 PM

We got the invite yesterday for the Xmas Party at the CCRC we have become a friend of. That means gone on their list for future purposes. Get to hobnob with the 80 ish year old crowd.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,777 times
Have lots of fun, TuborgP

Old 11-22-2016, 05:39 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We got the invite yesterday for the Xmas Party at the CCRC we have become a friend of. That means gone on their list for future purposes. Get to hobnob with the 80 ish year old crowd.
Let us know your impressions, and the activity relationship between the current residents and yourself. We are keeping an eye on this type of facility ourselves. Age 60 now, anticipating going on a wait list in ~10 years, maybe move in at around age 73 based on current wait list durations.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Let us know your impressions, and the activity relationship between the current residents and yourself. We are keeping an eye on this type of facility ourselves. Age 60 now, anticipating going on a wait list in ~10 years, maybe move in at around age 73 based on current wait list durations.
We went to a function this summer and sat with a couple in their mid 70s and had a nice conversation with the wife. The husband had medical issues and it was obvious. Nice guy but serious memory loss from Chemo. Part of becoming affiliated with and going to meetings is that we are hoping over time to ease our way into the flow of things and judge the cultural tolerance. At the summer festival folks had a great time as in great time. Entertainment dancing and the men were in seventh heaven. Great food and entertainment and the place is new and beautiful. Really obvious that folks look out for each other. The woman we chatted with says her husband wanders about and she isn't worried as someone is always watching him and makes sure he finds his way home. Evidently folks (woman especially) love to gather in the hallway for happy hour before heading down for dinner. Got the impression the wine flow freely.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:43 AM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I think that a lot of changes happening in society will help to make CCRC's unnecessary for many. If you can't drive, we now have Uber and I'm sure there will be other similar services, in addition to the paratransit and other senior van services. If you can't/don't want to cook, there are now many grocery/meal delivery services that ship directly to your door, and there are local people/companies who will do in-home cooking of meals which are then frozen for the week. Cleaning services, lawn services, visiting nurses, etc are available to help people stay in their homes. Of course these all cost money, but so do the CCRC's. The only real issue that would be very difficult to handle is the issue of mental decline. When dementia starts it can be hidden for a while, probably long past the time when assistance is needed.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think that a lot of changes happening in society will help to make CCRC's unnecessary for many. If you can't drive, we now have Uber and I'm sure there will be other similar services, in addition to the paratransit and other senior van services. If you can't/don't want to cook, there are now many grocery/meal delivery services that ship directly to your door, and there are local people/companies who will do in-home cooking of meals which are then frozen for the week. Cleaning services, lawn services, visiting nurses, etc are available to help people stay in their homes. Of course these all cost money, but so do the CCRC's. The only real issue that would be very difficult to handle is the issue of mental decline. When dementia starts it can be hidden for a while, probably long past the time when assistance is needed.
One of the strengths of many CCRC's is their sense of community and mutual support of each other. That was evident in our visiting our first social event

Old 11-23-2016, 03:48 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the strengths of many CCRC's is their sense of community and mutual support of each other. That was evident in our visiting our first social event
My Mom is afraid to be alone in the house since Dad died and she also has dementia but doesn't need full medical care yet.. The CCRC had a buy in of $20,000 and a monthly rate or $4,000 and a daily rate which isn't significantly higher for a single. It doesn't include doctor visits and we opted for an RN checking her twice a week and referring to a doctor when necessary. This is in central Indiana which is a low COL. The facility is beautiful with six levels of care for Mom and also has garden apartment/condos on the campus with many activities and people around.

She needs someone 24/7 and and with the nearest sibling living two hours away we weren't comfortable with hiring someone from an agency to come in for two reasons: much higher cost and too much social isolation, but more importantly the chance of abuse from a caregiver would be easier in an in-home situation with no one near by to check in on a regular basis. We also worried about no one showing up for a shift, Mom wouldn't know what to do. In the end, the CCRC seemed the best choice and is close to my sister and niece. Thank goodness it is an option for her and us.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
And the $64(0)K question ... which has the greater total cost, the ala carte approach you have depicted, or, the CCRC?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement