U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 02:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,456,960 times

Advertisements

Haven't been in a grocery store for 10 years. Strictly grocery delivery by delivery truck or large van from online grocery delivery systems of 5 local large grocery stores/chains in two major cities in which I've lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 02:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Haven't been in a grocery store for 10 years. Strictly grocery delivery by delivery truck or large van from online grocery delivery systems of 5 local large grocery stores/chains in two major cities in which I've lived.
Interesting. Knew about the service, but didn't know anybody that used it. You should start a thread about that - probably a lot of retirees would be interested.

As for weekend shopping, I try to stay away from the worker-bees and their shopping on weekends.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:41 PM

6,219 posts, read 2,879,696 times
My relative relies on the kindness of family to get out and about for errands. Staying independent in choosing their foods and paying for it keeps them happy. I've no qualms with taking them when my schedule permits. Most often weekends. Although prescriptions are certain dates of the month due to when they get the docs fax'd in.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:46 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For those who are retired I am curious about something.

As every day is essentially a weekend for you, why do your grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday when families are also doing the same?

It's a free world so of course you can shop whenever you like but I'm curious why. Wouldn't say Tuesday at 10 be less stressful and crowded for you?
So now has your curiosity been satisfied? Many good reasons have been given here as to why retirees shop on weekends.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:03 PM

Nov3, your relative(s) could receive their prescriptions with free home mail delivery in the U.S. mail by going to https://www.walmart.com and choosing Pharmacy from the menu. Physicians fax or electronically send the prescriptions of your relatives to Walmart.com (or your relative faxes or mails the prescriptions) and the prescriptions arrive easily, with complete reliability, and efficiently in the U.S. mail.

Other medical providers such as Humana have free home mail delivery of prescriptions - such as https://www.humanapharmacy.com.

Using walmart.com (or other home mail delivery systems) saves tons of time, and saves needing to run around monthly to pick up prescriptions. No waiting in line either.

I've received my prescriptions with free home mail delivery from walmart.com for at least 12 or 15 years. And I've used Humana's too - as Humana has one of the very least expensive Part D Medicare medication insurance coverages ($18.75 per month) and mail delivery pharmacies in the U.S. (Walmart's has some very inexpensive prices too)

(and yes, I'm aware some people cannot use home delivery from Walmart.com due to needing an unavailable specific drug; those people can often use a different home delivery system thru their Part D medication insurance coverage such as Humana)

Last edited by matisse12; 11-13-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 PM

BucFan, in the past, I've contributed to threads in the Retirement Forum about online grocery shopping and home delivery by local grocery store chains via delivery truck/van. It's a topic which comes up occasionally. I haven't done a search recently to pull up threads & comments on the topic.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-13-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 05:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
BucFan, in the past, I've contributed to threads in the Retirement Forum about online grocery shopping and home delivery by local grocery store chains via delivery truck/van. It's a topic which comes up occasionally. I haven't done a search recently to pull up threads & comments on the topic.
I scan the boards for the topic. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 PM

21,923 posts, read 14,414,141 times
Maybe the retired person who irritated you by being in the grocery store on a weekend just needed stuff. Maybe he got back from a trip recently. Maybe he just got out of the hospital. Maybe he just ran out of milk.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:44 PM

350 posts, read 258,573 times
DH and I are now retired. We wouldn't even think to go anywhere near Costco on a weekend. Now we have a choice to go during the week when a lot of people are working. It's less crowded and works for us!

We also like to go out to dinner during the week and tend to eat home on the weekends. Why face the crowds?

When we were both working, we had no choice. But now that we're retired we preferred to do our shopping and eating out during less crowded times.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:44 PM

BucFan, I've contributed to the Retirement Forum only (no other forums) on the topic of online grocery shopping with local grocery store chains in one's city.

(such as all of these local grocery stores: Safeway.com, Giant (Peapod.com), Byerlys.com, Instacart.com which does multiple grocery stores in each city, Cobornsdelivers.com) All deliver fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, fresh meat)

Amazon.com and Walmart.com both have groceries thru U.S. mail (or UPS & FedEx) -

but my comments pertain to the great service of online grocery shopping with local grocery stores in one's city (which includes delivery of fresh vegetables and fruits, fresh meat, etc) with delivery by van/delivery truck, not U.S. mail & not UPS nor FedEx.

(although Amazon has just instituted online grocery delivery of fresh items & regular grocery items all done locally in some of the larger cities such as New York City and Los Angeles & others)

Last edited by matisse12; 11-13-2016 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement