U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 05:50 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,014 times

Advertisements

When I was working I used online grocery delivery for all my pantry items and a local produce store and meat market for fresh items.
Now that I'm retired I go to the grocery store whenever I need something no matter what day of the week it is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:00 PM

11,086 posts, read 12,470,641 times
Saturday here is like being in a Black Friday time warp. No thank you. I do my shopping Tuesday mornings around 9am and not on the first, that's when old people shop. Oh wait...

Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,056,653 times
I shop when I need something. Today, Sunday, we went to CVS, the supermarket, a sporting goods store and out for pizza. Why? Was I supposed to stay home?

Old 11-13-2016, 07:34 PM

12,585 posts, read 15,054,657 times
We usually avoid crowds (malls and stores) on the weekend. Tuesday or Wednesday are the best shopping days.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 PM

783 posts, read 893,614 times
We buy our groceries online and have them delivered as needed.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:38 PM

4,937 posts, read 2,281,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, your grocery store must be different than where I shop. While I do frequently see, what I assume are, young married couples and older retired couples I rarely see any couples in the 30s to 60s range.

I do often see a child or two with a mom or dad just after school gets out but I can't even remember the last time that I saw a "whole-family-grocery-shopping-adventure", as you described it, in the stores where I shop.
Wow; that IS almost a total flip-flop from where I am at. I checked our local demographics to see if we were way out there compared to national averages & I think from what I've read we are higher than the national average: Family Households=65.2%, Non-family Households= 34.8%.

But maybe it boils down to a perspective thing ...Like when I'm driving through town with my dog in the car; it seems like I see so many people with dogs. Or when I'm pregnant it seems like everyone is pregnant!

Maybe I tend to be more aware of others "like me".

(my quote function is not working properly)

Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM

566 posts, read 662,164 times
We have a Sam's Club early membership. Normally get there at 830 am on a Tuesday or Wednesday and its never crowded and now they have the self checkout on your smart phone so your never in a checkout line. We also buy our gas at the Sam's Club station in front and we're back on the highway at 915 am and home by 945 am The Costco we were going to didn't open till 1000am so we feel we're way ahead of the shopping game

Old 11-14-2016, 09:19 AM

14,697 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Sounds like someone is inconvenienced by the question. I happen to live in an area with many seasonal snowbird retirees. I love the tax dollars they bring in.

It's not a single person I am talking about, it is the fact that the weekends are the busiest time in general. Again, everyone has the right to shop when they want. But many busy parents are rushing about to get things done. Shopping is going to be more relaxed M-F. How many working people are likely shopping at Costco on Wednesdays at 2pm?

My local Costco is one of the busiest in the country, and Saturdays and Sundays the busiest of the week by far. The weekdays see less than 50% of the weekend traffic.
Ugh. Don't get me started on Costco. Oh, wait. Here I go. My wife is addicted to that store and I think it's very overrated. I do think there is a place for it; specifically large families who need to buy things in bulk. The prices on some items are good, but many people fall prey to the misguided belief that "Because it's at Costco, it must be a good deal," which is false. And we don't qualify for the ideal bulk buyers. There are only two of us, and it takes us a long time to go through, well, anything. I dread it so much she never tells me in advance when we're going. She just pulls up to the parking lot and promises it won't take long.

Of course we went yesterday to buy toilet paper. Picture Costco on a Sunday in Houston, Texas. She surprised me again, I groaned, and in we went after searching for a parking space for 10 minutes. That should have been an omen, because we looked around a little until I pointed out the lines, which were about 15 deep. We left once again without buying anything.

As for grocery shopping, my wife and I have a flexible schedule even though we work, and I agree with OP. We like to shop on weekdays. I don't like crowds. They make me anxious and frustrated, and 10:00 AM is my golden hour. It's after people head to work and before people make a quick trip on their lunch break, so it's usually fast.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I shop when I need something. Today, Sunday, we went to CVS, the supermarket, a sporting goods store and out for pizza. Why? Was I supposed to stay home?
If you don't mind lines of people. Suit yourself. Not everyone has to go out right away unless it's an emergency need. 20+ yrs in the Army. I grew tired of lines, and I usually ended up in the back of the chow line......

Old 11-14-2016, 09:30 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,154,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
For those who are retired I am curious about something.

As every day is essentially a weekend for you, why do your grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday when families are also doing the same?

It's a free world so of course you can shop whenever you like but I'm curious why. Wouldn't say Tuesday at 10 be less stressful and crowded for you?
markjames68,

While working, I did my shopping on the way home from work. Now in retirement, I LOVE to shop on weekends for many reasons.

First, I am quite bored and lonely. I no longer have co-workers to chat or to argue with. My only daughter lives thousand miles away. She is not married so we don't have any grandchildren to dote on. What's better way to meet people and to interact with kids than being in a store filled with families on weekends?

Secondly, we are living on a 'literal' shoestring right now with no more paychecks, delaying collecting SS (based on the advice of many wise people here like mathjak and perryinva ;-)) and paying our Cobra insurance through the nose! So we had to cut cost by cancelling satellite TV. I need to replace my reality TV & Tabloid talk shows by doing my weekend shopping at Walmart, Kmart, Target, Dollar stores etc. Sometimes it is more entertaining to watch shoppers at those stores, the way they dress and interact with each other than to watch Geraldo or Jerry Springer shows.

Thirdly, what makes you think that retirees want to avoid stress? Now that I am retired, there are no more horrible bosses, backstabbing/credit stealing co-workers, dreaded meetings, deadlines, monthly project reports and annual reviews. There are nothing to stress me out. I no longer have my daily doses of adrenaline, cortisol and norepinephrine to make me feel wired and worked up. Going to a crowded stores on weekend to experience shopping cart blockage in every aisle, long check out lines, waiting forever for help at the self-check out counter etc. IS the only way to stimulate my circulation system, to get my blood boiled and my heart beat counts way up! Heart exercise once a week is better than nothing. Come to think of it, maybe I should also go to the stores during weekdays say between 5:30pm and 6:30pm ;-).

Lastly, I also have way too much free time in retirement. What's better way to spend my time than being at the checkout counter slowly checking all my pockets and wallet compartments to find my coupons, getting rid of my piles of pennies to pay for my loaf of bread, a quart of milk and a bottle of prune juice ahead of dozens of customers with their overloaded shopping carts. Young people nowadays have no patience. I love to give them a lesson or two!

Now you know why us retirees LOVE to shop on weekends ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement