U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,783,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I bought myself a Porsche on my 55th birthday.

Now that is one COOL ride! ENVY! I had to settle for a Mustang GT convertible a week after I retired at 56 but was not unhappy with it.

The gods are fickle - after a careful break-in drill, I fired it up in the boonies, hit 3 digits and BOOM!!! - darn turkey buzzard feeding on a dead deer roadside went the wrong way. Wiped out the windshield but no other damage - I suspect the gods were telling me not to push my luck.

Hope you're still enjoying the Porsche - magnificent cars - just out of my economic class.

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 AM

1,971 posts, read 1,376,800 times
For my 75th birthday my wife gave me a walking cane and my son gave me an AR15 and I will pickup my new AMG C63 S in two weeks.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:58 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,038,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Make something on his bucket list happen.

What we would do is largely irrelevant, as it more than likely is not something HE would want to do!.

^^^^^^^^^ Exactly Big Anniversary # and big Birthday number a week apart I took my wife to an area she had always talked about. It was a trip to remember for her.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,839 posts, read 54,521,132 times
For my 40th, my wife organized a surprise picnic birthday party at a local lake. Even got me to make the potato salad, under false pretenses and I fell for it. Lots of family and friends, black balloons and ribbon.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,837,917 times
Like most here, I have been giving my DH experiences. At our age we have enough stuff and appreciate those more. So far he has had certificates for a tandem skydive, bi-plane ride, hot air balloon ride and next up is a glider ride.

I am hoping to talk him into renting a RV and taking a couple of his plane loving buddies to the Oshkosh air show. Also talking about rafting on the Colorado River.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,973,675 times
On a Thursday, several months prior to my "milestone" 60th birthday, I was getting ready for work when a random thought occurred to me: what would I do if I had $500.00 to "just blow?" I decided I would get my passport renewed, which had just expired, so if the opportunity for me to go to the Holy Land came up, I would be ready. I would buy beautiful flowers to adorn the alter at church since it is not only my birthday but the anniversary that I was blessed with my house. I would......what?

At church on Sunday, a member came up to me and asked if Gizmo (my recently deceased Boston Terrier, she didn't know I had had to put him down) and I would want to come stay at her house for a week while she and her husband went on vacation to stay with their two dogs and she would pay me $300.00! I don't believe in coincidence. $300.00 was a blessing to me!

So I did, she paid, and I spent it on the following: I tithed 10%, got my passport renewed, bought the beautiful alter flowers, took my daughter to brunch at a fancy restaurant (I wanted a Mimosa, mmmmm), then took her to the fancy theatre to be part of the traveling version of "The Price is Right". Although neither of us was chosen, my neighbor was! Cool! He didn't win his game, though. :-(

A footnote: 22 years earlier, in 1992 when she was 15 and I much younger, we went to California (first and only time). I sent for free tickets to "The Price is Right" and was sooooooo excited to receive them. I then read the fine print.....anyone in the auditorium had to be 16 years or older. :-( She was 15 but could have passed for older, but they said they checked ID! I have a photo of my hand on the steering wheel with CBS Television Studio in the background as we drove past it, me "whining" all the way. So, I was so blessed for this "milestone" birthday.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 AM

21,919 posts, read 14,406,502 times
For my 70th birthday, I was treated to a restaurant meal with my immediate family and concert tickets to a performance of my choice, with taxi service provided. At the meal I was presented with cards, some handmade by the grands. These are still on my fridge door today.

For my DH's 70th birthday, he was given a subscription to the Wall Street Journal. He is into investments and his philosophy meshes with the WSJ. Our family was at a disadvantage then as we were all still scattered.

For our kids' 40th birthdays we have been buying them a nice present instead giving the normal $50 check. We found an Amazon tablet for one of our kids, and for another we bought a component for a media setup which he told us he wanted beforehand!

If you have kids, have them write something nice to him. If they are willing you could all go together to buy something. You could brainstorm together. If it will be only you, then, I think I'd insist on taking him someplace he would like to go, even if it is only a hour away. He might enjoy some time with you, without the distractions of everyday life.

Another thought if he likes sports: buy him a sports package for his favorite sport.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM

13,265 posts, read 6,351,451 times
Oh I forgot, for my husband's 65th birthday, I gave him 4 months in Europe as a birthday gift. If it were me, I would spend 3 weeks most.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM

17,063 posts, read 17,382,869 times
Now, I will tell you what I planned for my aunt's 80th birthday. I called & emailed as many of her friends and relatives and neighbors as I could find and asked them to "spread the word".
I asked them to please send her a birthday card and, if possible, 80 of something to help celebrate her birthday. She was having pretty severe financial difficulties at that time (as she had just had to stop working. yes, she was forced to work until just before her 80th birthday) so I knew that anything would help.

She received over 80 cards and gifts. The gifts ranged from 80 postage stamps to 80 quarters to an $80 gift card to the grocery store to a box of 80 various supplies (pencils, pens, erasers, markers, glue sticks, note books, post-it notes) to an $80 check made out to the electric company to 80 shiny new pennies to $80 worth of groceries & other supplies (several people did this) and many, many more things. One big spender even gave her 80 ten dollar bills to help her pay her property taxes.

My aunt talked about this birthday surprise for years. I know that it helped her significantly with her finances at that time. And, it also showed how much everyone loved her.

-----

I am glad that everyone had such great birthday presents. Many of them sound absolutely amazing! But, I hope that you do realize and appreciate how truly blessed you are.

-----

Well, I personally have had some pretty sad milestone birthdays and no memorable gifts. I don't even recall getting any presents at all on these birthdays (although, I assume that my children & hubby gave me cards and probably a cake and maybe we went to restaurant).

Here is my response to a thread that asked "Tell us about your great party for your 40th birthday" (or something like that).

I was going to have a party for my 40th but then my mother passed away and I became seriously depressed for quite some time.

Then I was going to have a party for my 50th but my husband had lost his job (due to the beginning of his disability) and was unemployed for two years.

Then I was going to have a party for my 55th but my husband had cancer and nearly died at several points over a period of an entire year.

I planned on having a party for my 60th but my husband had recently became totally disabled and he had no job, no income, no savings so it was not a great time for a party.

I did have a party for my "26 + 26 + 9 + 1/2 birthday". As I figured that if I waited until I turned 65 who know what would happen. (BTW, I'm glad that I did not wait as my husband fell down a flight of stairs, suffered a Traumatic
Brain Injury and now needs full time care).

So, you can tell that I really don't feel that milestone birthday celebrations are that important.

What is important, is your health and your loved ones.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-17-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 11:00 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,157,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For our kids' 40th birthdays we have been buying them a nice present instead giving the normal $50 check.
We also enjoy giving special birthday gifts to our beloved daughter. One year, I gave her a Yamaha Digital Piano after learning of her renewed interest in music after half a dozen years. She stopped piano lessons on her 16th birthday at the chagrin of her teacher who wished that she had the interest to go with her talent. This led her into joining a Vet school band as a keyboardist. They cut two albums and won first place in several university band contests.

The year before last, we invited her for a national park vacation with my brother's family in the Olympic Peninsula. It was wonderful to spend the day hiking and the evening at a very nice restaurant celebrating her birthday.

This year, after hearing her expressed regrets that we wanted to sell our BMW convertible (which she absolutely loved) to make room for a Subaru Outback, we decided to give the car to her on her birthday. We drove the car 3000 miles from NY to Idaho with the backseat and the trunk loaded with our 'downsizing' stuffs which she agreed to take (a china dinnerware set, crystal wine glasses, bakeware set, and her extensive childhood collectibles: figurines, fossils and minerals).

Nothing is more enjoyable than to sing happy birthday to our daughter in person, and to give her birthday gifts which have special meanings. I am looking forward to visiting her often in the near future when we move west to see her enjoying the family 'mementos',and to take many hiking trips with her and her boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement