U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 04:51 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,028,155 times

Advertisements

I have always believed a 'tithe' is on gross. Net is different for everyone.

The Bible says:
"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"

"2 take some of the firstfruits of all that you produce from the soil of the land the Lord your God is giving you

"12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce....."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...Deuteronomy+26
Further, to nitpick on SS - has everyone forgotten the employer contributed equally to that benefit and on which we were not taxed? Therefore, SS is 100% income and first fruits, imo. For me, any conversation on "net" is rationalization.

That said, it IS really HARD to honestly tithe. That 10% does hurt and I don't believe I've ever met the true goal of 10% on gross with the exception of a few years - probably closer to 5-8% of gross, even when I worked. Now in retirement, I'm still in the area of 5-6% of gross. Most goes to my church, with the balance to various local charities, disaster relief, etc., with moderate increases each year.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:17 PM

56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Tithing is going to be in big trouble down the road as quite a large percentage of the Millennials have no ties to a specific church or faith group. I don't know if the Evangelicals will keep it up, but many mainstream churches are already hurting.

My MIL's church now shares a pastor with 4 other churches. They have shut down their preschool, among other things. Pretty soon they will lose the church building that used to have hundreds of families and now are down to double digits.

The young people I know are much more interested in giving to charities or organizations they are personally in tune with, not churches. Just my observation.
That's something many churches are facing. I was visiting my sister a couple of months ago, and there were two church buildings for sale within a mile of each other in her little town.

Churches are just not the social centers they once were, when there was some activity or other going on every night for someone in the family.

Once many of the older people whose lives revolved around the church are gone, many more will shut down. It doesn't mean the faith will disappear, it means how people live it will change.

On topic: My mother's childhood church is now a county Senior Citizens Center.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
...There are many more reasons why folks were unable to save enough for retirement than what we often accuse them of.
Yup, this is a GREAT forum / home for the 'accusers!'

Far be it for any of the 'accused' to have 'forgot' / were unable... to save for retirement while they were busy being benevolent (while working, volunteering, teaching, growing farms and families) for the last several generations

Glad we are not ALL stamped out of the same 'CLONE' Dangerous! (but embraced / encouraged as 'the-norm')

and so the story repeats... generation after (boring) generation.

Thank goodness we don't ALL have to drink THAT lemonade!.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 PM

718 posts, read 603,886 times
I have been tithing for many years and have gotten immeasurable benefit from it. I tithe on the gross, sometimes it's been harder than others...on those times if I can't release my tithe with a joyous heart I don't do it. I know my thinking isn't in the right place for the tithe, I'm begrudging it.

I've done lots of things over the years to get my mind in the right place, I mail in my tithes so for many years the envelopes were an artistic wonderland with the drawings and stickers!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,286,872 times
Quote:
Thought: Am I a steward of what I have been GIVEN?, or am I DESERVING of what I have acquired?
(emphasis mine)

That is indeed something I should spend more time thinking about….
Thank you.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 634,392 times
I could never understand tithing, but then again I could never understand religion..

Old 11-18-2016, 05:19 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I could never understand tithing, but then again I could never understand religion..
Do you understand that folks saving for retirement are humans with a range of emotions, values and beliefs that make them unique. This can create situations that others may not understand but might want to denigrate them for. That is all we can reasonably hope for is understanding of the wide range of human experiences.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:23 AM

10,300 posts, read 4,875,305 times
Yesterday my office had to do some financial business for 3 pastors that needed what is called "key man" insurance. One was making $144,500 a year, the other $100,000 and the low man on the totem pole was bringing in $84,000 a year. I'm sorry but I would rather pay my tithe to a homeless shelter than to help clergy live better than 90% of their congregation.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Frankly, unless you are reasonably well to do, tithing is going to be difficult to afford while checking all the other personal financial boxes we're supposed to check. People are going to have wide latitude in how they allocate what they bring in.

Median household income here is about $35,000. Half are below this number. How is that bottom half going to maintain a reasonable lifestyle, save for retirement, children's college, and tithe? They can't, and the truth is they probably aren't doing any of those particularly well.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM

13,921 posts, read 7,416,674 times
I live in a blue state. 25% of the state budget goes to Medicaid and close to 50% goes to various safety net programs. I pay big state income tax and sales tax. I don't have children. 3/4 of the property tax I pay funds K-12 public education. I'll ignore Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes since that is an entitlement where I will benefit some day though I'm high income so I'm not going to break even on the program. My total tax burden is a bit more than 35% of my gross income when I factor in all the taxes I pay other than Medicare/FICA. Even if I believed in god and belonged to a church, why should I tithe to some religious organization when the government is already doing it for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement