U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,945,378 times

Advertisements

I think you could get just as many brownie points with Jesus leaving to the appropriate recipient(s) what's left over in your will. Until then, you're living in a real world where increasingly, every year, more and more people have their hands out for your dough. Remember, Jesus (his dad, particularly) made this world what it is. Think accordingly.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:52 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,745,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I think you could get just as many brownie points with Jesus leaving to the appropriate recipient(s) what's left over in your will.
Tithing is not about leftovers... and Jesus doesn't do brownie points.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:02 PM

56,350 posts, read 54,783,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I think you could get just as many brownie points with Jesus leaving to the appropriate recipient(s) what's left over in your will. Until then, you're living in a real world where increasingly, every year, more and more people have their hands out for your dough. Remember, Jesus (his dad, particularly) made this world what it is. Think accordingly.
Humans have made this world what it is. And in this real world, I who have struggled financially in the past can now afford to give a little to people who don't have enough money for the basics for whatever reason. I don't give to score points because no one is keeping score. I give because it makes me feel good to be able to do so. Perhaps that can be viewed as a selfish reason; if it is, so be it.

My "appropriate recipient" is my only child, who is in school going for her doctorate. I help her, too. I would rather be able to do that now than when I am dead.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yesterday my office had to do some financial business for 3 pastors that needed what is called "key man" insurance. One was making $144,500 a year, the other $100,000 and the low man on the totem pole was bringing in $84,000 a year. I'm sorry but I would rather pay my tithe to a homeless shelter than to help clergy live better than 90% of their congregation.
So would I, but my clergy (a part-time Episcopal priest) doesn't make half what your low man does. The entire annual church budget is lower than $84k!

Old 11-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I live in a blue state. 25% of the state budget goes to Medicaid and close to 50% goes to various safety net programs. I pay big state income tax and sales tax. I don't have children. 3/4 of the property tax I pay funds K-12 public education. I'll ignore Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes since that is an entitlement where I will benefit some day though I'm high income so I'm not going to break even on the program. My total tax burden is a bit more than 35% of my gross income when I factor in all the taxes I pay other than Medicare/FICA. Even if I believed in god and belonged to a church, why should I tithe to some religious organization when the government is already doing it for me?
Going with the presumption that you actually want an answer to your question, you tithe (or give whatever you give) to the religious organization because it is an important part of your life and you want it to continue. I personally would not give to or attend a church where the pastor drives a BMW or has a plane or a big mansion. I WILL, however, give to my little church where anyone is welcome and where we are all there because we have formed and sustained a community of caring, nonjudgmental human beings who take care of and will stand up for one another, and reach out to help others we see around us.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:37 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,126,312 times
A lot of people are getting taken for a ride with tithing. The churches I attended over the years should be investigated on where the money goes. I do recall that the different pastors were definitely living high on the hog: top lines cars, lots of jewelry, mansions, etc, etc. Why the collections weren't used to help the poor is a good question.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:39 PM

17,760 posts, read 4,123,119 times
Hi everybody.I am in the process of planning and saving for retirement.I am debt-free.I am religious and attend church weekly.I believe in giving to church but I do not tithe.My church does not ask members to tithe.

Last edited by C24L; 11-18-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
A lot of people are getting taken for a ride with tithing. The churches I attended over the years should be investigated on where the money goes. I do recall that the different pastors were definitely living high on the hog: top lines cars, lots of jewelry, mansions, etc, etc. Why the collections weren't used to help the poor is a good question.
What made you attend churches like that? Honestly curious.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,126,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What made you attend churches like that? Honestly curious.
I don't know what you mean "like that." I have attended churches in different states over the years. Small or large, the pastors always look like high maintenance people. One of the reasons I stop attending church is that I really feel that parishioners/congregations are being taken for a ride.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:14 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,745,246 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean "like that"
Like this...

Quote:
the different pastors were definitely living high on the hog: top lines cars, lots of jewelry, mansions, etc, etc. Why the collections weren't used to help the poor is a good question.
I have yet to attend one "like that"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement