U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:42 AM

674 posts, read 840,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ACA = AFFORDABLE CARE ACT .

key word , being -affordable . it is only affordable to those getting tax payer money .. the plans are not any more affordable when you are paying the whole thing on your own .
Couldn't have said it better. I am, thankfully, healthy right now, but all too aware things can change within the hour. But, I did have to spend one day in the hospital (severe allergic reaction) My cost so far is $2000. I offered the hospital to pay it all off for a small reduction, say 10-20%. They agreed, UNTIL, they realized I had the ACA. They can't work any deal with someone that has that plan. Government rule. But, they did tell me if I had no insurance they'd write it off.

Affordable??? We get no subsidy. It's far, far from affordable. There is only one carrier where I live and the major hospital in my state where everyone goes for cancer treatment is not available to me. There is only one Gastro group for our entire county. It needs major tweaking.

One can only look at their own situations and base their opinions on that. For those with pre-existing conditions and no income, you're thrilled. I thankfully do not have any health issues and have just enough income that we don't qualify for subsidies. I keep telling my husband to stop consulting. It's not worth it. And that's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 07:31 AM

71,690 posts, read 71,801,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Of course, depending on your insurance. You're assuming ACA or something similar. Just like pensions, there are still companies that offer excellent medical benefits to retirees untill 65.
i am shopping now , as i go off my aca cobra small business plan in january . non aca plans for individuals's are just about out of the question here in nyc . they are priced well beyond any aca plan if you want better coverage . they are way way way more once you get away form the high deductibles and big out of pockets . they also do not have to accept you if you have anything they don't like while aca plans take everyone .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-19-2016 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 AM

14,262 posts, read 24,004,620 times
^^

Agreed.

There is one ACA option in Arizona, The other 15 who used to participate have ceased selling medical insurance in the taste under the ACA.

The only remaining carrier offers almost no service in my area and does not allow me to keep any of my doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or