U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 09:02 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,804,165 times

Advertisements

let your friends and neighbors know to be very careful, especially this time of year.

Warning: The package delivery scam is back! | Clark Howard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 AM

2,601 posts, read 5,298,864 times
It's not back, it never left. I get these every few weeks.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM

6,074 posts, read 9,538,346 times
This is one I'd not seen or heard about, so I appreciate the heads-up.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 AM

17,062 posts, read 17,382,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
let your friends and neighbors know to be very careful, especially this time of year.

Warning: The package delivery scam is back! | Clark Howard
The thing that was interesting to me was that the very first time that I had ever ordered something from Amazon in my lifetime, coincided with the very first time that I ever received a "fake delivery scam" email. Hmmm.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:38 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,154,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The thing that was interesting to me was that the very first time that I had ever ordered something from Amazon in my lifetime, coincided with the very first time that I ever received a "fake delivery scam" email. Hmmm.
From what I can tell, nearly every major commercial dot.com has been hit by cyber war and data theft.

Putin worked with Robotron and the Stasi when he was in the KGB, and his specialty was stealing Western IP, most especially in the areas of wireless and the emerging internet. You can bet that those thefts were only the beginning, and that the SVR/GRU hackers can get way down in the stack based on their intimate knowledge of the core design concepts which we have built the dot.com and mobile worlds on.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:22 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,673,946 times
I clear out my junk mail box every few days and there are always scams for either FedEx, Google, Facebook, UPS etc., and all with dire titles warning of deliveries that can't be made or urgent messages waiting or me. These keep company with former friends or acquaintances endless streams of political chain emails or cute memes.
Every once in a while one will make it past the filters and land in my inbox. I click on the senders address to find incredibly stupid email addresses or rarely a very clever close look-alike one. They all get moved to junk and deleted. I haven't seen a recent increase, just the relentless never-ending stream of con artists hoping to get lucky.

There's always a new angle. This week I received an advertisement that came into my phone calendar as an event, with an alarm no less. Off to settings I went to close that back door. Damn all those never ending entrepreneurial/scam people that want my money and aren't getting it, so far, but are very successful in stealing moments of time from me.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-18-2016 at 04:57 AM..

Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Often that is because you already had an internet search toolbar (like a best price from someone other than the major engines) monitoring you, but they wait until you use a commerce site to be able to sell you address on a qualified list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement