U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:21 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,081,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Wow that's a long time to keep my fingers crossed! If you do manage to come this way, we'll have to break PhoenixBarb's arm and get a meeting set up with her too!

I've got the futon and a rollaway bed so there's always room for company. I'll keep the lights on for you
BREAK MY ARM !!! Please no. I will gladly come to see you gals but need both arms to drive !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
probably safe to meet at Quartzite (even better for the frugal / shoestring retirees / shoppers / campers).

Surely many of us have met before

Better meet BEFORE your 10th C-D anniversary, as we are ALL getting a tad older than when we started... My 10 yr is next month, I was but a wee child and newly 'retired' (1.5 yrs)...

Quartzite...RV city in the winter. lol Been there tons of times but mostly just passing through to other places. Unless you're interested in crafts and gems it's pretty blah...to me.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Wow that's a long time to keep my fingers crossed! If you do manage to come this way, we'll have to break PhoenixBarb's arm and get a meeting set up with her too!

I've got the futon and a rollaway bed so there's always room for company. I'll keep the lights on for you

LOL...okay, I won't hold you to the fingers crossed thing. I'd love to stop and visit with Barb on my way down and I'm sure that can be arranged at some point.

Things are changing a bit here but won't make my 'escape' happen any sooner, unfortunately. I have taken on a room mate and it should only be for a few months. I know this gal from work and her life has been in a bit of an upheaval the last couple of weeks. First, her room mate's boyfriend got out of jail and moved in with them. Then she started having stuff come up 'missing', including $250 she had squirreled away. She mentioned it to the room mate who got mad and when my friend got home from work that night all her stuff was out on the front porch! She was able to stay with another friend but it's a crowded house and they were charging her $25 night to sleep on the couch. Sooooo...I offered her my guest room.

To make matters worse her boyfriend was killed in an auto accident a week ago. He was the nephew of my next door neighbor, who is also the manager of McDonald's in our store, and another nephew was driving the car AND next door neighbor's son was also in it. A three car smashup. Very bad. And the fault of neighbor's nephew driving. All three also worked at McDonald's so everybody knows them. Anyway, it's been a rough time for all and I hope I'm helping a little. I'm not charging her rent because I want her to save up her money and get her life in order. She'll be paying half of the electric, gas and water and buying food. Fine by me. She also needs to get a car. She's a good kid. Been with Walmart less than a year and already had two promotions and pay raises. She's from a fairly well off family in Boston and wants to go back, eventually, but in the meantime is building up her job experience, resume and money. So, when the time comes, and maybe even before, I'll be able to take off without worrying about anything at home. I do want to spend some time with cousins (over the mountain) so that'll make it easier.

And that's the latest from the 'homestead'.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
BREAK MY ARM !!! Please no. I will gladly come to see you gals but need both arms to drive !

Nope, no arm breaking here but I DO want to get to meet you at some point. We'll make it happen eventually!!!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Quartzite...RV city in the winter. lol Been there tons of times but mostly just passing through to other places. Unless you're interested in crafts and gems it's pretty blah...to me.
oh yes, very blah, so more time to 'network' with potential internet axe murderers. Add excitement to the desert / miles of JUNK stores.

+ you can ESCAPE into the crowd if you start getting stalked by your new internet 'buddies'.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:01 PM

6,315 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Nope, no arm breaking here but I DO want to get to meet you at some point. We'll make it happen eventually!!!
That is so nice that you are helping out that young lady!! You are awesome!!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That is so nice that you are helping out that young lady!! You are awesome!!

No, I'm not. I just think she could use a hand up. She's easy to get along with and quiet, like me, and she needed a quiet, peaceful and stress free place to be. She is supposed to meet her boyfriend's family tonight. They are from Oregon but they've talked on the phone, etc.. They still don't know when the funeral will be. She's nervous but she'll be okay.

We work at the same place and same dept. but our hours will rarely be the same. I'm pretty much strictly 7 AM to 3 PM now and she will have varying hours. So we won't always be home at the same time. And we won't have the same days off unless one of hers just happens to fall on one of mine. Hers, like her hours, will vary and mine are set. She has no car but the bus runs by the house a gazillion times a day. I'll pick her up when she gets off after dark especially now that it's so cold. The busses don't run that late and it's only 2.5 miles away.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Oh no! I wouldn't break your arm, just gently twist it until you came along for the ride this time

Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
Quote:
No, I'm not. I just think she could use a hand up. She's easy to get along with and quiet, like me, and she needed a quiet, peaceful and stress free place to be. She is supposed to meet her boyfriend's family tonight. They are from Oregon but they've talked on the phone, etc.. They still don't know when the funeral will be. She's nervous but she'll be okay.

We work at the same place and same dept. but our hours will rarely be the same. I'm pretty much strictly 7 AM to 3 PM now and she will have varying hours. So we won't always be home at the same time. And we won't have the same days off unless one of hers just happens to fall on one of mine. Hers, like her hours, will vary and mine are set. She has no car but the bus runs by the house a gazillion times a day. I'll pick her up when she gets off after dark especially now that it's so cold. The busses don't run that late and it's only 2.5 miles away.
It's nice that you've found someone to live with you even if it's only for a short time. You had talked about finding a roommate quite awhile ago. I'm sure you'll need a good, long break from work after the Holidays and do hope you and Barb can work out coming down my way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or