U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM

30,988 posts, read 13,558,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Pretty crazy, I agree. I have a semi-classic Mercedes coupé on non-op for the past six or seven years now. Not sure exactly. It's sitting in the garage awaiting it's freedom when I move out of state in the Spring. If I remember correctly, I only had to pay the non-op fee that first year. I think the second year I had to confirm that I wanted to continue the non-op status, but after that, nothing.

Maybe it "fell through the cracks"? No sense rocking the boat. Was tempted to drive it the other year when the color of the yearly stickers rolled around, but the car wasn't insured, so I passed.
PNO (planned non-operation) is a one time fee, you don't need to do anything until you are ready to drive it, at which time you pay the current year registration fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 04:46 PM

26,587 posts, read 52,247,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Pretty crazy, I agree. I have a semi-classic Mercedes coupé on non-op for the past six or seven years now. Not sure exactly. It's sitting in the garage awaiting it's freedom when I move out of state in the Spring. If I remember correctly, I only had to pay the non-op fee that first year. I think the second year I had to confirm that I wanted to continue the non-op status, but after that, nothing.

Maybe it "fell through the cracks"? No sense rocking the boat. Was tempted to drive it the other year when the color of the yearly stickers rolled around, but the car wasn't insured, so I passed.

Normally you will receive an annual statement with current fees and smog requirement if applicable... you need to do nothing if the status remains unchanged... of course if you are cited for having on the street or operating with a non-op status it can get expensive...

I know someone that sent in the fees for a car show outing and got stopped... he still got a ticket that was quashed when the DMV processed the renewal... his cancelled check was the same Friday he was cited.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 PM

26,587 posts, read 52,247,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So many reasons not only to 86 the idea of *living* in Cali, but even of *visiting* there. Particularly for an old car enthusiast.
I had really hoped Washington would be the promised land until I found out I could only bring two vehicles with me without paying taxes for additional... I have owned some of these cars 30+ years so I will not be paying tax just to get a Washington Title... of course my friends in Oregon don't have this problem.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:55 PM

4,962 posts, read 6,362,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We have decided to go check out Laguna Woods!
Have a nice trip and I hope it fits.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

234 posts, read 176,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Ok, when you say there is NO natural beauty in Texas, I've got to wonder if you lived in Amarillo!? The Texas Hill Country, the coast south of Corpus Christi, the Piney Woods that cover much of the eastern third of the state (with many lakes) are areas many natives and visitors would point out as attractive.
Lived in San Antonio and Plano for 30 years. Corpus Christi? Are you serious? Can you honestly compare Texas to California? The Hill Country? Meh. The Santa Monica Mountains put those to shame.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,369,420 times
That 25 cents per square-foot is just for our house. Our home sits on 150 acres of forest with riverfrontage, our land is taxed at $1.05 per acre.

Most towns in Maine are rural, spending is very conservative. We do not get any outside sourced subsidies to help with things.

The bigger cities here have gotten addicted to operating on Federal and State subsidy money. Subsidies help pay for municipal services that their budgets can not afford. Previous governors have been going along with 'revenue sharing' from the state, to prop-up the bigger cities. Rural taxes have been subsidizing the cities. Our current governor is cutting down on this 'revenue sharing', subsidies going to the cities are dwindling, and my property taxes have been dropping. City people cry a lot about how un-fair it is.

Metro-bus service can be nice, but when fare-payers only cover 1/3 of the operating cost of those buses, property taxes cover the rest.

Portland has it's own passenger rail service to Boston. The last time I looked, passengers pay less than 1/4 of it's operating cost. Our taxes pay the rest, and it only benefits one city, 1% of the land mass of the state.[/quote]

Interesting points you make and I am happy when folks find their little slice of heaven. It is sad though when the Metro areas place some of their burdens on the rural folks. Someday, subsidies must come to an end and all must pay for what they take or consume. It seems only neighborly.

One thing I do wonder about is how a transplanted West Coast person can thrive on the chilly weather of the East Coast? I would assume those winters can be brutal. We were visiting up in the Great Lakes area and it was down in the 'teens' at night and the cold cut right thru our coats that generally can stand a Tahoe Ski season. Different kind of cold no doubt.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:46 PM

14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I had really hoped Washington would be the promised land until I found out I could only bring two vehicles with me without paying taxes for additional... I have owned some of these cars 30+ years so I will not be paying tax just to get a Washington Title... of course my friends in Oregon don't have this problem.
There is an article in Sports Car Market, written by a lawyer, about temporarily storing and using Cali cars at an Oregon address in order to "launder" them. You have to do more than a selfie at a rest stop - find the back issue and read the article.

I brought 3 cars and 3 motorcycles in to WA in 1991 and don't remember having to pay any exorbitant fees. I remember some grousing by DOL people, but that normally just means they are breathing anyway.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Default Anyone move to CA for retirement?

No, but we know many Californians like ourselves who have moved elsewhere.

Let's face it, California has much that entices others to move there and with good reason. Think of those of us who have moved out as simply and considerately making space for newcomers.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 PM

219 posts, read 123,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
BTW, everyone touts OR on here, but did you know that income tax starts at 9%? I know, I know no sales tax but it didn't balance out, at least not for us.
The Oregon tax rates for 9% starts at very low taxable amounts - over 8,400 for singles and over 16,800 for joint but there are two other lower tax rates at 5% and 7%. California marginal 9.3% tax rates start at over 50k for single filers and 101K for joint filers, so people making close to the median income would pay more state income tax in Oregon than California.

Oregon Income Tax Rates for 2016
California Income Tax Rates for 2016

Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,440,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
The Oregon tax rates for 9% starts at very low taxable amounts - over 8,400 for singles and over 16,800 for joint but there are two other lower tax rates at 5% and 7%. California marginal 9.3% tax rates start at over 50k for single filers and 101K for joint filers, so people making close to the median income would pay more state income tax in Oregon than California.

Oregon Income Tax Rates for 2016
California Income Tax Rates for 2016
Move to Washington state and problem solved...no state income tax. When wife and I moved from Portland to Seattle our total income went up about 37% and we paid no state income tax. It's a no-brainer if you have a 6 figure income, better to be in a no state income tax state. I now work internationally and can have my state of residence wherever I like and with my income last year, I would have had to pay about $40K in state income taxes in Oregon and slightly less than that in Cali. No thanks.

If you're concerned about income taxes, move to Nevada or Washington state. I will admit though, with the climate and things to do in Cali, it's still a good deal if you have the bank account to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement