U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:10 AM

219 posts, read 123,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Move to Washington state and problem solved...no state income tax. When wife and I moved from Portland to Seattle our total income went up about 37% and we paid no state income tax. It's a no-brainer if you have a 6 figure income, better to be in a no state income tax state. I now work internationally and can have my state of residence wherever I like and with my income last year, I would have had to pay about $40K in state income taxes in Oregon and slightly less than that in Cali. No thanks.
Property taxes are fairly high in WA as they are in some other no income tax states, but wouldn't make up for the difference in the state income tax when compared to OR on your income. As a constitutional conservative, I am not looking to retire anywhere on the west coast due to political reasons. Plan to move to AZ which has a fairly low state income tax rate and lower than average property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:42 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Property taxes are fairly high in WA as they are in some other no income tax states, but wouldn't make up for the difference in the state income tax when compared to OR on your income. As a constitutional conservative, I am not looking to retire anywhere on the west coast due to political reasons. Plan to move to AZ which has a fairly low state income tax rate and lower than average property taxes.
We have property there that we had planned to use when we retire and we still might. Wife was on board until our grandson was born in Seattle....right now, she doesn't want to go far from Seattle and I understand. But Arizona is a great state and I still may/want to move there in the future. About Washington being a Liberal state, it hasn't bothered me in the least especially since there's no state income tax to pay. If the 'Progressives' get too oppressive at some point in this state, we'll probably make the move to Zona.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:02 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Washington State has to be taken as at least two parts - the I-5 corridor over on that side of the Cascades, and 509 land over here on the dry side.

I find the dry side of WA provides a lot of the climate benefits of Cali, at a much lower price point and with less hassle.

It is irritating that at a State level, WA is damn near as liberal as Cali, but for the most part the wet-side loons don't push too much of that into our dry-side faces. Maybe they figure we'll quit shipping them wine if they tick us off.

To me it's not just no state income tax to pay, it's that I don't even need to fill out a form.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,047,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
You must not get out much.

I registered a vehicle in TN for $24. That is the cost for ANY vehicle, no matter what the value.
You also must not get out much. My truck in Nashville cost about $150.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:16 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,560,729 times
Default Moved from CA after 35 years when I retired...

I live in the SF Bay Area for 35 years and retired Oct. 1 of last year and moved to my home state of South Dakota...Sioux Falls. Happy with my move. Especially saving about 30k a year by moving when you consider real estate cost, no state income tax, plus everything else is cheaper.

I can visit Ca for 4 months a year if I want and still be wayyy ahead.

Have fun. I also couldn't stand being surrounded by a bunch of whiny, entitled, liberals, but thank them for my nice pension.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,038,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You also must not get out much. My truck in Nashville cost about $150.
See post #140--Rural areas charge less, in general, that counties with major cities. You are in a major city! I do get out, that is why I chose the rural county I did

Also you must have been ripped off! According to the Tennessee webpage, this is what your registration should have been:

Davidson County Clerk
700 2nd Avenue South
P.O. Box 196333
Nashville, TN* 37219-6333
Fees
County Privilege Tax:* $55
Postage & Handling:* $2
Total:* $81

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/article/renew-by-mail

My rural county did charge an extra $10 for the plate when I first registered. I got a plain one with no additional charges for future years. ---maybe you have an expensive "donation" plate?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 590,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
You can look at Laguna Hills and Laguna Woods for townhouses/condos/mobile homes in that price range. Laguna Beach has mobile homes in that price range. If you specifically wanted the 55+ community likely the post was referring to Laguna Woods with the 55+ requirement plus golf, tennis, swimming, 7 club houses, over 200 active clubs, 2 gyms, library, horse stables and a free bus system.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:22 AM

406 posts, read 370,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
My relatives in California made less in another state than in CA, however the CA state income tax is so high that their take-home pay is far less. Then there is the high gasoline rates, and overall high COL. Plus, rents are very high and to purchase even a decent condo in their area would be minimally $750K. Even if they could afford the mortgage the property tax and maintenance fees would be a deal breaker. So, they are planning to move out of state soon. They are native Californians, but the cost to live there is just too high and there is no way they would be able to retire there. If they move to a more affordable state now, they will be able to purchase a home and pay off the mortgage before they retire. There is no chance of doing that in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement