U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:46 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,415,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
The peace and quiet of nature would be like death to you? Or is there something else about it?
I think I would be lonely in a house not close to neighbors; we are happiest living in a dense area but having access to nature hiking.

I love that you have found your happy place on earth that is also affordable for you. It always strikes me as so wrong for people who live in high COL areas that stretch their budgets beyond reasonable and they don't make a change but actually suffer daily with staying there.

I don't like snow, so I seek areas with little to no serious winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:04 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,462,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I think I would be lonely in a house not close to neighbors; we are happiest living in a dense area but having access to nature hiking.
[snip]
I don't like snow, so I seek areas with little to no serious winters.
Totally understand what you are saying. Having property out in the boonies might be something worthwhile, but since I'll be by myself, I understand that I need to be near others, even if I don't establish some type in intimate/emotional connection with them. On the other hand, I don't want to be in the middle of the herd either.

So, my retirement home will be in a 55+ complex on the edge of a smaller town, but about 4-5 miles from a much larger city, and about a half-hour from a 'huge', sprawling city. And to top it off, all surrounded by tree covered mountains and enough lakes for a lifetime of exploring. Best of all worlds, (for me).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-19-2016, 11:45 AM

9,572 posts, read 10,920,803 times
I live over a half mile from my nearest neighbor. I never hear screaming children or any other noise. I consider it to be paradise. I don't mind at all if I don't see another human for a week or more. In fact, it pleases me very much.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:26 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
jgustav was stating what you are stating ... that people MOVING to California will pay a higher property tax rate than those who have been in a like house/neighborhood for 20 years. That is the part of Prop. 13 that is relevant to anyone thinking about moving there (the topic of this thread).
Why do you consider that a problem? If you remain in your home in California you will reap the same benefit. At least in California you don't have seniors priced out of their homes.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:41 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,522,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I live over a half mile from my nearest neighbor. I never hear screaming children or any other noise. I consider it to be paradise. I don't mind at all if I don't see another human for a week or more. In fact, it pleases me very much.
Yes, but there won't be any neighbors to hear you scream either. That's a scary thought for us single, female city slickers. I know, I watch too many crime shows.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Yes, that is true, but in planning a move someone will need to keep in mind the property tax is based on what they pay for a home and due to higher than average home prices in CA it may be higher than another state in a similar home. Just something to budget for and can be a negative for CA. You need to check this by individual state, but AZ has fairly low property tax and significantly lower marginal state income tax rates versus CA.
In every state that I am aware of property tax is either based on appraised value or sales price, there is usually very little if any difference between the two and I don't know of any state that does not reassess the value of the home at the time of sale, do you? Can you buy a $300,000 home in Arizona and pay property tax based on what the house was worth in 2009?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,748,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We love the Santa Cruz area and my brother lives there. Each time we consider CA, I back off because of the cost of real estate and the taxes. It especially concerns me that income I get for rental properties would be taxed if I lived in CA. But over time I start thinking perhaps I should reconsider. Soooo....if you left a cheaper State and retired to California I'd love to hear your story and how its going.
If I ever retire in CA it will be with a sleeping bag and a sign.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:09 PM

22 posts, read 17,087 times
I realize this is about taxes but thought I'd offer a bit on retiring and buying property in Santa Cruz as I lived there for several years recently considering it for retirement as well and decided not to purchase there. The traffic has gotten very intense in the past five years - you can sit on route 1 for an hour and move a few miles in the summer especially. Then the drugs started becoming a bigger (I believe they have always had drug issues in Santa Cruz, it's just gotten worse) issue after new regulations in Oct 2014. Renting a $2000+ per month tiny house in a neighborhood with multi-million dollar homes our neighbors started cooking meth (and we believe distributing due to the people we saw going in and out). The police tell you straight out in Santa Cruz they don't deal with it unless 'something blows up' and calling the sheriff did no good for us so if you are purchasing, I'd really check on the neighborhood and know that you never know who your neighbors will be. If I were to purchase in Santa Cruz, I'd be extremely cautious of where to purchase. My dear friends purchased a 1 million dollar tiny home in Capitola and got flooded the first year (common in Capitola) and then the house next store became an Airbnb rental and they are miserable from the noise and partying going on. Aptos, Soquel, La Selva and the Freedom area might be options for you as they are a bit older but still, drugs are heavier in that area that one expects and there is little to no assistance should you end up with an issue there. One other thing to consider, due to the weather and location, skunks are a huge issue in some areas. My friends are having a hard time renting out their cottage in la selva because skunks keep moving in underneath it. While money is one reason to buy or not to buy, I chose to live there a while and I'm glad I did. I had rose-colored glasses my first two years, then started to see the challenges in Santa Cruz. I still love to visit!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,748,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Yes, but there won't be any neighbors to hear you scream either. That's a scary thought for us single, female city slickers. I know, I watch too many crime shows.
Horror movies never take place in the City. Just saying.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:15 PM

219 posts, read 123,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In every state that I am aware of property tax is either based on appraised value or sales price, there is usually very little if any difference between the two and I don't know of any state that does not reassess the value of the home at the time of sale, do you? Can you buy a $300,000 home in Arizona and pay property tax based on what the house was worth in 2009?
Sure why not? Just kidding. You are the only one in the thread that is interpreting my posts incorrectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement