U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:54 PM

9,600 posts, read 10,964,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Yes, but there won't be any neighbors to hear you scream either. That's a scary thought for us single, female city slickers. I know, I watch too many crime shows.
We don't allow crime where I live.

A few years ago I awoke suddenly at 3:22 A.M. to the sound of a puppy going, "Yap, yap, yap.'' under my bedroom window. A couple of seconds later my dogs exploded in violent barking. The puppy was invading their sanctum sanctorum. I realized that the puppy was a little coyote looking for playmates. The adults in his family group probably snarled when he wanted to play instead of sleep. That's the closest I've ever come to a home invasion.

Location, location, location.

Stranger: ''I can't find my car keys.''
Local: ''Aren't they in the ignition?''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 01:56 AM

3,356 posts, read 3,063,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
The peace and quiet of nature would be like death to you? Or is there something else about it?
Yes. I would die of boredom. I am a big city girl through and through.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:34 AM

7,433 posts, read 3,068,806 times
What would happen to my gun collection? Or my 60 30-round magazines? California isn't looking so good!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 PM

269 posts, read 155,550 times
I've lived in Northern California my whole life (47 years), ditto my husband. We were burned up in the 2015 Valley Fire, we lost everything (redwood barn, large detached garage, tool shed, fencing, horse, dog, chickens, vehicles, travel trailer, quads, horse trailer, car trailers, etc) except our house. We'd love to leave, but we own a house on 20 acres and we need real estate prices to come up more before we think about selling. If the prices ever come up we are out of here.

I wouldn't recommend living in California to anyone unless you are a marijuana smoking liberal or a tweaker. Taxes are too high, there are too many illegals and too many liberals. Trimigants are everywhere at harvest time and this year several trimigants have killed the people they worked for so they could steal all the weed.

If you are seriously considering moving to California, I recommend joining a scanner group on facebook in the county you are thinking about living in.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 973,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why do you consider that a problem? If you remain in your home in California you will reap the same benefit. At least in California you don't have seniors priced out of their homes.
I don't.

Property taxes are based on value at purchase, which means if you bought 30 years ago, someone moving into a similar house/similar neighborhood would most likely pay a higher (or much higher) property tax rate, as the market in many parts of California has steadily gone up over that time. Yes, there have been blips and bubbles, but for the most part - if you are looking at a long period of time such as 20 or 30 or 40 years (about the time Jarvis pushed for Prop 13) - the housing market has moved up.

When someone is considering moving to California and starts asking about housing and property taxes, that is a relevant piece of information because it is unique. In most places, value and taxes are reassessed on a regular schedule (everywhere I had owned, it occurs annually ... for my current residence, the property taxes for our residence went down 5% for 2017).

Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM

31,206 posts, read 13,692,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I don't.

Property taxes are based on value at purchase, which means if you bought 30 years ago, someone moving into a similar house/similar neighborhood would most likely pay a higher (or much higher) property tax rate, as the market in many parts of California has steadily gone up over that time. Yes, there have been blips and bubbles, but for the most part - if you are looking at a long period of time such as 20 or 30 or 40 years (about the time Jarvis pushed for Prop 13) - the housing market has moved up.

When someone is considering moving to California and starts asking about housing and property taxes, that is a relevant piece of information because it is unique. In most places, value and taxes are reassessed on a regular schedule (everywhere I had owned, it occurs annually ... for my current residence, the property taxes for our residence went down 5% for 2017).
I don't know where you live, I thought housing prices were going up all over the country..I guess not. In Nevada if your home value decreases you still get hit with a 3% increase, the way their plan works is that increases are limited to 3% a year but if a property goes up 12% at reappraisal, then the 3% per year will mean a 3% per year increase spread over 4 years. Prior to the adoption of that plan, the appraiser could double your taxes overnight just by arbitrarily deciding your home was now worth twice what it was, and they didn't solely rely on comparable sales, they added in little things like "view property" Homeowners in Incline Village NV fought them in court and after several years eventually won.

In California if the value of your property decreases, the property is reappraised and your taxes are based on the new, lower value, but it is not adjusted for increases in value. How anyone can hold that as a reason not to move to California is truly baffling.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:22 PM

4,655 posts, read 4,497,582 times
Quote:
In California if the value of your property decreases, the property is reappraised and your taxes are based on the new, lower value, but it is not adjusted for increases in value. How anyone can hold that as a reason not to move to California is truly baffling.
It does increase. After the bust, my taxed dropped. It took a couple of years. They are now back up to where they were before, even though there is no way I can sell for what the market showed before the bust. This next year, my taxes are just shy of $5,000 a year. And it will go up even more the following year because the voters approved every bond measure on the ballot earlier this month. The amount of property taxes is one of the main reasons I'll be moving out of state next March when I retire.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM

26,594 posts, read 52,423,706 times
Quote:
The "Lower" Value is temporary and reviewed annually.

The market value of my home decreased substantially and I filed multiple appeals for several tax years and won all of them... the kicker is the county has two years to hold a hearing and even having won it still took a couple of months to receive my refund...

It also cost $50 to file an appeal and ALL taxes as billed must be paid... truly baffling...

My 1725 square foot 1957 home is just shy of 11k...

Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM

31,206 posts, read 13,692,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It does increase. After the bust, my taxed dropped. It took a couple of years. They are now back up to where they were before, even though there is no way I can sell for what the market showed before the bust. This next year, my taxes are just shy of $5,000 a year. And it will go up even more the following year because the voters approved every bond measure on the ballot earlier this month. The amount of property taxes is one of the main reasons I'll be moving out of state next March when I retire.
Have you considered appealing? Should You Challenge Your Property Tax Assessment in California? | Nolo.com

Old 11-21-2016, 04:03 PM

30,732 posts, read 49,546,472 times
Quote:
I don't know where you live, I thought housing prices were going up all over the country.
Travel around and you can easily see that home prices vary over a very wide range. My in-laws live in an area where homes start at $500k. Yet in my area 3bdrm homes go on the market all the time asking $25k.

Property taxes levels vary just as much. In my state, two homes valued the same amount, but set in different towns may have mil-rates so different that one annual tax bill could be $400 in one town and $6,000 in a different town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement