U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 05:37 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? Maine property tax is higher than the National average. Here's the data from 2013: The statewide median rate is $14.30 for every $1,000 of assessed value. At the median rate, the tax bill on a property assessed at $100,000 would be $1,430.

Towns with rates above the median are shaded in orange, while towns with lower rates are shaded in purple.
From your link:
Quote:
This map shows effective 2013 property tax rates* for 488 Maine cities and towns. The statewide median rate is $14.30 for every $1,000 of assessed value. At the median rate, the tax bill on a property assessed at $100,000 would be $1,430.
Maine has 986 towns.

About 56% of Maine towns are NOT included in your map.

Your map tells a story from a specific political perspective, the urban or metropolitan viewpoint.

Most towns in Maine are rural and are not represented within that political perspective.

If you look closely, most towns are shown as white. There is no hyper-link on those towns to give you the name and data on those towns. My town is one of those towns in the Southern half of the state of Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I would like to hear more...

Also did not realize he separated land tax from improvement tax...

When I posted my 11k property tax on assessed value of 710k it included land and improvements.

My East Oakland city lot is 210k and the Improvements 499k
My property tax bill separates land from dwellings.

I thought you were talking about comparing dwellings to dwellings. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

We own 150 acres of land with a 2400 sq ft house. I know that in some states they separate the school tax from the dwelling tax. But here it is lumped in, so you can not tell from the property tax bill, how much is exactly for public schools.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,303,280 times
No... I should have separated my tax into land and improvements... city lot and 1725 square feet home.

I do find it amusing when I comment from my actual tax bill sitting in front of me how many will say I am mistaken... my only point is to show taxes vary widely even under Prop 13.

Your place sounds like heaven...

I thought Washington State could be a good spot for me but having my property tax increase 80% in one year over the price I paid 18 months prior makes California more attractive... at least I know California taxes are somewhat predictable if expensive.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
No... I should have separated my tax into land and improvements... city lot and 1725 square feet home.

I do find it amusing when I comment from my actual tax bill sitting in front of me how many will say I am mistaken... my only point is to show taxes vary widely even under Prop 13.

Your place sounds like heaven...

I thought Washington State could be a good spot for me but having my property tax increase 80% in one year over the price I paid 18 months prior makes California more attractive... at least I know California taxes are somewhat predictable if expensive.
Property taxes certainly can vary over a wide range. Just within my state, I see many examples of towns where they set their mil-rates to 2x, 3x, 5x, or more compared to our mil-rate.

I was stationed in Washington State for a few years, and we owned an apartment complex there. I would have liked to have retired there. But I had crewmates who had been watching their property taxes climb at an alarming rate. The region was going through growth pains. Hearing their woes was enough to scare me away.

If a person plans on exiting the military with a solid career [pay, insurance, retirement, etc] then you can stay in an expensive or unstable area like that. I have known many crewmen who planned to do that transition [not many were successful though].

My Dw and I wanted a peaceful rural low-cost retirement. Somewhere that my pitiful pension would be enough to support a family. This town does not offer a wide selection of municipal services. Like most of this state, very few services = low taxes. However within a 20-mile radius we still have; 2 hospitals, an international airport, 5 college/universities, and lots of shopping.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:37 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,303,280 times
Have the opposite in Oakland CA... many services and programs but really none that I use... of course basic fire and law enforcement goes without saying although if you home is burglarized or your car stolen the police will not come out... you will be directed to file a police report online.

I would gladly trade services for lower taxes... my brother lives 10 minute away in the county with a full complement of "City" services and my tax rate is 50% higher than his in Castro Valley.

I bought my home from a retired WWII Fighter Ace Naval Commander. They had owned it since new all the back in 1957 and paid $1200 annual property tax... the moment I bought the tax went to $8800...

Another brother farms his 65 acres and his property tax is $30,000... I'm sure the day will come when it all gets subdivided for homes because 30k in farm property tax really is not sustainable... at least to me.

Washington gets me for 12k property tax... this all happened after the Washington version of Prop 13 was struck down... I-747... did all my due diligence so it was a shock when it got struck down and soon after being hit with an 80% tax increase... I have the home rented for $1800 a month with a $1000 of that going for property tax.

Taxes really do matter...

Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Have the opposite in Oakland CA... many services and programs but really none that I use... of course basic fire and law enforcement goes without saying although if you home is burglarized or your car stolen the police will not come out... you will be directed to file a police report online.
Our FD brags they have never lost a stone foundation to house fire.

Quote:
... I bought my home from a retired WWII Fighter Ace Naval Commander. They had owned it since new all the back in 1957 and paid $1200 annual property tax... the moment I bought the tax went to $8800...
I bought my first property just a couple years after California passed prop 13. When we bought that first property, our taxes did not jump nearly as much, but they did jump some. As years and decades pass by that jump will only be worse as time goes by.

Quote:
... Another brother farms his 65 acres and his property tax is $30,000... I'm sure the day will come when it all gets subdivided for homes because 30k in farm property tax really is not sustainable... at least to me.
Farming on 65 acres is a bad spot. At that size your up against the 'get big or get out' mantra. My father fought that equation for years, he share-cropped almonds. Struggled for a long time to 'get big'. The 2007 USDA 'almond rule' put the last nail in that coffin for a lot of almond growers [less than 1000 acres].

I have a sister who farms 400 acres of grapes in California, they are over that hump, they do well with farming.

Around here it is possible to support a family on 5 to 10 acres with vegetable production. But it is only possible because of the lower COL / taxes.

With my small pension, even if I never sold any produce at market, my bills are covered. My property taxes, heat, electric, food are all covered easily with my $1480/month.

What I get at the Farmer's Market is just pocket money. Your brother's property taxes are more than my annual pension income [and WAY more than the average household income here in my little town. People raise big families on less].

Quote:
... Washington gets me for 12k property tax... this all happened after the Washington version of Prop 13 was struck down... I-747... did all my due diligence so it was a shock when it got struck down and soon after being hit with an 80% tax increase... I have the home rented for $1800 a month with a $1000 of that going for property tax.
Ouch

Quote:
... Taxes really do matter...
I have been saying that for years.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:19 AM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
One key point on taxes is that TODAY's taxes may not be what you have to pay 5-10 years from now once you're basically stuck there after making the leap.

For example, a relative of mine considered moving back to his hometown in Illinois but the state is broke and his hometown hasn't kept up with infrastructure costs so there will likely be larger tax burdens in the future if they move there.

Also, if they start spiking your property taxes you can't just easily move away because that's going to lower home values so the minute they go into effect you're essentially faced with immediate diminished tax value not for one year but the go-forward state of taxation in the area.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:24 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
From your link:
Maine has 986 towns.
About 56% of Maine towns are NOT included in your map.
Your map tells a story from a specific political perspective, the urban or metropolitan viewpoint.
Most towns in Maine are rural and are not represented within that political perspective.
If you look closely, most towns are shown as white. There is no hyper-link on those towns to give you the name and data on those towns. My town is one of those towns in the Southern half of the state of Maine.
I understand that and in a later post I linked this: Unorganized Territory - Tax Rates, Property Tax, MRS And yes, the taxes are certainly much cheaper than in a township, but I still didn't see any area with a tax rate of .0250, the lowest is .0447. Do you get some kind of offset, maybe for being a veteran or senior citizen?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I understand that and in a later post I linked this: Unorganized Territory - Tax Rates, Property Tax, MRS And yes, the taxes are certainly much cheaper than in a township, but I still didn't see any area with a tax rate of .0250, the lowest is .0447. Do you get some kind of offset, maybe for being a veteran or senior citizen?
The 'veteran' discount is for 100% disabled vets. I am not old enough for a senior discount.

2bdrm homes here start at $25k.

My home is 'large' [foundation is 2400 sq ft, overall roofed footprint 4900 sq ft] on 150 acres and my total taxes are under $800 [$600 for the house and $157 for the land].

Old 11-25-2016, 08:27 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The 'veteran' discount is for 100% disabled vets. I am not old enough for a senior discount. 2bdrm homes here start at $25k. My home is 'large' [foundation is 2400 sq ft, overall roofed footprint 4900 sq ft] on 150 acres and my total tax es are under $800 [$600 for the house and $157 for the land].
Awesome, maybe the tax rate chart I found was inaccurate because that is less than any other area in Maine however that happened it's excellent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement