U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:15 AM

5,692 posts, read 4,413,829 times

Advertisements

We love the Santa Cruz area and my brother lives there. Each time we consider CA, I back off because of the cost of real estate and the taxes. It especially concerns me that income I get for rental properties would be taxed if I lived in CA. But over time I start thinking perhaps I should reconsider. Soooo....if you left a cheaper State and retired to California I'd love to hear your story and how its going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 06:46 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We love the Santa Cruz area and my brother lives there. Each time we consider CA, I back off because of the cost of real estate and the taxes. It especially concerns me that income I get for rental properties would be taxed if I lived in CA. But over time I start thinking perhaps I should reconsider. Soooo....if you left a cheaper State and retired to California I'd love to hear your story and how its going.
Cost of living is only one aspect to consider in any move. I have not nor do I plan on a move there. However there are a number of very good reasons to move there. You also do not necessarily have to buy property to move there. I am sure that others will weigh in but do not let cost be the only deciding factor.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:13 AM

56,026 posts, read 54,523,130 times
I just read an article yesterday on the 15 worst states for retirement. CA was definitely one of them. My own state, NJ, was No. 2 on the list, and the adjacent state, where I work part-time, is NY, which was No. 1. That last part was a bit disconcerting. I receive a NY State Pension, which isn't taxed in NY but is taxed in NJ, so I have toyed with the idea of moving to NY at some point. Might not be a great idea.

It takes into account taxes, cost of living, health care costs, etc.

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/r...016/index.html

Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM

890 posts, read 676,795 times
Didn't live in a "cheaper" state and then move to California like you have thoughts about doing but did buy a Santa Cruz condo recently that now is/will be vacation/retirement home and let me tell you, I really like Santa Cruz; always have but now more than I ever thought I would even though the time spending there is minimal because I"m still in the "rat race".

If it pencils out, you should follow your passion rather than taxes because one should never let the "tax tail wag the economic dog" or their dreams.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 2,537,158 times
In the recent election the idiots in the Los Angeles area passed 5 tax raising or bonds. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:17 AM

4,622 posts, read 4,460,757 times
I've been a life-long resident of SoCal, as has my father before me. There are a whole lot of advantages to living here, no denying that. Some of the best weather in the country, (if you don't care for precipitation or humidity), and all the activities and amenities associated with a mild climate.

However, the political balance of the state is long gone and whenever one party controls all aspects of a government to such a degree, doesn't matter which political philosophy, no good can come from it. The most dramatic manifestation of the current political climate of the state is the high tax rate and overall cost-of-living.

When I retire in March, I will be leaving the state and returning to the birth state of my dad's mother and father.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-17-2016, 10:18 AM

575 posts, read 637,588 times
We moved to Northern California for retirement and couldn't be happier. We live in Sonoma County wine country in the small town of Windsor, sandwiched between Healdsburg and Santa Rosa. We've lived on the West Coast for nearly 40 years though, so we're accustomed to a higher than average COL and expensive real estate. We were able to sell our Seattle property for a hefty profit, then purchased a smaller home in cash. With the exception of some additional taxes, our COL is very similar to what we were used to. Some things are actually cheaper here.

Our quality of life is exceptional and we feel it's worth every penny. Our weather is beautiful, much of our food is locally sourced and we have an abundance of cultural and recreational opportunities to keep us busy. We've made friends easily and find the people here to be very open to newcomers.

Utilities are on the high side, but we use them less. We barely turn the heat or air conditioning on and everyone here is very water conscious though our county is not in a severe drought anymore due to substantial rain fall - it's very lush and green right now.

I will say we carefully crafted a detailed budget for ourselves before we took this plunge - very essential for anyone considering a retirement relocation, especially in California.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,920,167 times
I would make a list of what you are looking for in a retirement place as it's a very personal decision. If it's being very close to the ocean/family that is the main draw and one can afford it, that adds some weight I would say.

If you are looking for nice weather/getting away from winter largely as the main goal, and prefer a much more sane cost of living across the board, I think there are many other nice areas all around the west (if that's the area you are leaning towards) that are far cheaper, just as nice/nicer in my view, and without what I feel is the baggage of CA politics which I think volosong expressed well above in that post.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:53 AM

575 posts, read 637,588 times
OP,

I won't argue the merits or perils of the current political climate here. You'll have to determine whether it works for you or not (you do have a brother in Santa Cruz ) I will say that we have become friends with a couple, originally, from Houston and they are absolutely thrilled with the social and political values here. Then again, Texas just didn't work for them anymore.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:24 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Living in CA is truly a "you get what you pay for" situation.

One should do some research on what it costs to live here. Most of CA is not that expensive. If you look at the 1% of CA that is greater LA, San Diego, the SF Bay Area and a few other Southern Coastal areas, yea it expensive. I live in a retirement destination part of CA and the median home price is $250K. Not the $1,000,000 of a place like San Jose.

So if the only thing that matters is going cheap, then yea skip CA. Side note; CA has some of the best healthcare in the nation. Think Stanford, Davis in NorCal for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement