U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: WA
5,393 posts, read 21,385,099 times
Reputation: 5884

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Yes, don't bother being loyal to your company. Of course, way back when, in my father's day, he worked for the same place for 30 years, and I remember that it was a "contract" between employer/employee that they would always do their best for each other - not one-sided, as it is today. There would have been a huge uproar if any jobs were outsourced or anything like that. That would be a big no-no - part of it had to do with patriotism, of which there is not much left as far as companies go. They no longer care about their own communities and their own citizens.

Some of you say that's ok - "that's inevitable globalism" - I say, NO - nothing is inevitable - it is manmade. And, most of it has to do with GREED.
The world is always changing and it is difficult to adjust rapidly and impossible for some to change at all.

Sometimes humans focus too much on recent history and make the mistake of expecting that experience to repeat into the future. Jobs and finances were very different 100 years ago and will be 100 years from now. Much of the public and the media think the fifty years after WWII are the normal and expected environment on an ongoing basis but that is very naive. We are seeing changes in the world that will continue and individuals, as always, must look out for themselves.

Taking a longer view of the inevitable is not very popular but may help put things into perspective. This country has not always been the dominate world power (economically and otherwise) and probably will not be in the future. And looking at even a larger picture, the climate of this planet has not always been hospitable for humans and won’t be at some time in the future, regardless of actions taken by us.

We can have compassion for those that were unable to adjust, be it their own fault or not, but stopping change is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 3,023,912 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The world is always changing and it is difficult to adjust rapidly and impossible for some to change at all.

Sometimes humans focus too much on recent history and make the mistake of expecting that experience to repeat into the future. Jobs and finances were very different 100 years ago and will be 100 years from now. Much of the public and the media think the fifty years after WWII are the normal and expected environment on an ongoing basis but that is very naive. We are seeing changes in the world that will continue and individuals, as always, must look out for themselves.

Taking a longer view of the inevitable is not very popular but may help put things into perspective. This country has not always been the dominate world power (economically and otherwise) and probably will not be in the future. And looking at even a larger picture, the climate of this planet has not always been hospitable for humans and won’t be at some time in the future, regardless of actions taken by us.

We can have compassion for those that were unable to adjust, be it their own fault or not, but stopping change is not an option.
But, I believe it DOES have to do with how people handle themselves. Things obviously don't change unless people do. WE are the humans who build the society that we supposedly want. If most people want to focus on materialism, then that's what we do. Again, I think it's "manmade". If we had gone another way, maybe we would have focused on something else, like being kind to others and helping everyone out. Could have happened.

So, why can't we change what will happen in the future? Won't it depend on what values we hold dear? And, isn't that up to us? No one is telling us that we have to act in a certain way - we, as a species, decide for ourselves how we want to live. It seems you're saying that the world changes, and we have to adapt.

But, who changes that world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Reputation: 19129
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Investing one's money means relying on the stock purchases or mutual fund companies. ...
That is highly offensive and inaccurate.

Investing money does not mean stock purchases.

I invest a good portion of my income, I have never bought stock.

I once owned stock, it was bought in my name when I was a child. My father bought GTE. He spent my entire college-savings of $700 on purchasing that stock when I started highschool. That stock sat that for years, I looked at it when I graduated from highschool. He was so proud of what he had done. He had put my college-savings into stock and I would be able to attend college because of his forethought and wisdom. Eventually I sold it in my twenties. After paying the fees and taxes I walked away with around $650.

I have never bought stock.

My investment portfolio has done fairly well over the years. When I was 42 I retired, and at I was able to purchase my retirement farm using earnings from my investment portfolio. My farm was purchased with cash and has no mortgage.

Again I invest, and I own no stock.

To say that: "Investing one's money means relying on the stock purchases or mutual fund companies" is wrong. It is not true. It is not an accurate look at investing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
5,081 posts, read 12,967,345 times
Reputation: 10648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

In the post WWII period until the mid 1980's it was generally assumed that the way to have a nice life was to join a good company and advance up the career ladder....folks who adhered to that philosophy certainly deserve to be respected...
Why would folks who lived their lives based on someone else's assumptions, lack of vision, or no awareness of reality, deserve to be respected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
b75
 
950 posts, read 3,179,303 times
Reputation: 329
Because hard work & loyalty are values, which these people were demonstrating, to be respected and not disparaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why would folks who lived their lives based on someone else's assumptions, lack of vision, or no awareness of reality, deserve to be respected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Waterville
332 posts, read 427,973 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why would folks who lived their lives based on someone else's assumptions, lack of vision, or no awareness of reality, deserve to be respected?
Do you imagine that you live independent of unexamined assumptions? Is lack of vision the inability to predict 40 -50 years into the future?

Reality? We're trying to tell you, you flaming egoist, that 50 years ago, reality was staying with a company, devoting your worklife to that company and then being rewarded. Are you so all-knowing that you can see what changes will be wrought in society 30 years from now? I'd wager, that given the accelerated rate of change, that you can't accurately predict what will happen in 2 years.

I can't believe I deigned to even respond to your arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Reputation: 19129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why would folks who lived their lives based on someone Else's assumptions, lack of vision, or no awareness of reality, deserve to be respected?
Everyone everywhere 'deserve' some level of respect and dignity.

That does not mean that you have to mimic them. Some people may have knowingly made a ruin of their lives, they are still humans and deserve our respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
5,081 posts, read 12,967,345 times
Reputation: 10648
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post

...50 years ago, reality was staying with a company, devoting your worklife to that company and then being rewarded. Are you so all-knowing that you can see what changes will be wrought in society 30 years from now?
50 years ago, when Tennessee Ernie Ford sang "16 Tons", all I had to do was look around me and see that it was as true then as it had been 50 years before and would be 50 years in the future.

If people chose not to see reality and take control of their own lives and are instead content to shop at the company store, then they must accept whatever The Company gives them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Waterville
332 posts, read 427,973 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
50 years ago, when Tennessee Ernie Ford sang "16 Tons", all I had to do was look around me and see that it was as true then as it had been 50 years before and would be 50 years in the future.

If people chose not to see reality and take control of their own lives and are instead content to shop at the company store, then they must accept whatever The Company gives them.
Aargh, you are infuriating. And referring to one of my favorite old songs to boot! Control? Control is an illusion. Life must be so easy when you have all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
5,081 posts, read 12,967,345 times
Reputation: 10648
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post

Life must be so easy when you have all the answers.
Why yes, yes it is.

The Answers are out there.

Asking the right question seems to be where most folks have difficulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top