U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times

Advertisements

Inaccurate, maybe. Offensive? Not sure why the poster used that word.

What else is in a portfolio besides stocks and mutual funds? Or, to be more precise, if one invests in these common vehicles of investment, then one is relying on the agencies that are involved, as pensioners might be relying on a company, or Social Security recipients are relying on the government

All I meant was that it seems that any investment is relying on the issuer. The one major answerer seemed to think (with a bit of an edge?) that there are investments that are completely in one's mastery and control, and that people who do something else are stupid enough to deserve poverty.
Or something.
If I am misunderstanding, please clarify. If this is just to be an aggressively unpleasant snark exchange, let us please stop here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why would folks who lived their lives based on someone else's assumptions, lack of vision, or no awareness of reality, deserve to be respected?
Uh, maybe because these people went through the Depression and survived, and many went to war and survived? They had no "lack of vision" - they had a lot more "vision" than people do today, believe me. Just listen to someone who went through those times - go somewhere and meet people who are in their 80's now.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

What else is in a portfolio besides stocks and mutual funds? ...
That is using a very small confining 'box' to define investing.

There exist a great many other possibilities of portfolios outside of stocks.

I do not own any stock.

However I have invested heavily, and my investment portfolio has done very well. I do not put so much into it today as I am retired. Today I am drawing from my portfolio.

I began investing in earnest in 1985. I was working full-time flipping burgers and attending college full-time, scraping what money we could to invest with. In 2001 I retired, took out some capital and bought a farm out in a forest. Today we are able to live largely off the remainder of our portfolio.

There are investments that can do this over a period of 17 years. I am proof.

Then folks want to talk about stocks, which at best are like playing craps. Roll the dice to see if you have gained or lost money.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Default Chill my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

What else is in a portfolio besides stocks and mutual funds? Or, to be more precise, if one invests in these common vehicles of investment, then one is relying on the agencies that are involved, as pensioners might be relying on a company, or Social Security recipients are relying on the government

All I meant was that it seems that any investment is relying on the issuer. The one major answerer seemed to think (with a bit of an edge?) that there are investments that are completely in one's mastery and control, and that people who do something else are stupid enough to deserve poverty.
Or something.
If I am misunderstanding, please clarify. If this is just to be an aggressively unpleasant snark exchange, let us please stop here.
Don't get drawn in. I along with I suspect most folks here understand your basic point. What ever is in their portfolio is in their portfolio. If they don't want to disclose then they don't want to disclose what is in their portfolio. Perhaps it is gold or other commodities. At any rate we both know virtually all investments involve risk and I believe that was your point. Many investors are finding out that even their money market fund is at risk of losing money. If one swears by gold and it has worked out for them great for them. Your basic point as I read it is well taken that there is no such thing as a sure bet investment as there is no such thing as a free lunch.
It is a scary world out there and this election is so key.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Don't get drawn in. I along with I suspect most folks here understand your basic point. What ever is in their portfolio is in their portfolio. If they don't want to disclose then they don't want to disclose what is in their portfolio. Perhaps it is gold or other commodities. At any rate we both know virtually all investments involve risk and I believe that was your point. Many investors are finding out that even their money market fund is at risk of losing money. If one swears by gold and it has worked out for them great for them. Your basic point as I read it is well taken that there is no such thing as a sure bet investment as there is no such thing as a free lunch.
It is a scary world out there and this election is so key.
Oh I am sorry, having discussed it so many times on this forum, I assumed.

I collect apartment buildings.

I buy them with zero-down mortgages, and full of tenants.

Usually run-down slums barely meeting habitability. We live in them and make repairs. Owner-occupied turns building inspectors right around. Inspectors who were once a big threat and coming down as hard as they could on non-resident land-lords, become friendly and full of advise, helping to find resources and how to fix things.

Once all repairs are made and a property is fully up-to-code, they are serious cash-cows for many years to come.

Tax shelters; with depreciation and improvement costs, they routinely run in the red for tax purposes and keep even your salaried income from being taxable.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Personally I don't think the election is key at all. The economy and peoples lifes really are not controlled by who is president. A president only has so much power and the smart ones limit their efforts to two maybe three things they can accomplish in even two terms.The fed has alot more control over the economy and that is very limited.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,180,503 times
Well I can tell you that a lot of people's lives (who are in the middle class) are markedly different from when Clinton was president to today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally I don't think the election is key at all. The economy and peoples lifes really are not controlled by who is president. A president only has so much power and the smart ones limit their efforts to two maybe three things they can accomplish in even two terms.The fed has alot more control over the economy and that is very limited.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Well I can tell you that a lot of people's lives (who are in the middle class) are markedly different from when Clinton was president to today.

Better? or worse?

Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Thank you for the clarification and lack of snark. I do not wish to be ill-informed!
I do understand that one's portfolio can mean many things (and not all of them my business) but I did mean that the degree of control varies with different entities, and that I don't perceive any investment as being free of external circumstances, of course.
That said, I have never considered buying stock. I grew up with a gambling father (racetrack) and have no illusions about my ability to "pick" or "time." I do have very middling mutual funds for my 403b. I will likely buy a fixed annuity with my old-fashioned pension, and will be dependent on the bank issuing it, which is very conservative.
Fortunately, I know I don't have the temperment to be a landlord from my two experiences of buying property I wanted for myself and ended up renting it out. Just don't have what it takes, although it sounds like a go if you do.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,180,503 times
Better then, markedly worse now. And that applies to just about everyone I know including several business owners. Ironically the only person I know who keeps doing better is doing so b/c he knew W was going to get in and had the foresight to change business operations in preparation. So he is fine but otherwise it is awful out there...

quote=forest beekeeper;3040930]Better? or worse?[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or