U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM

738 posts, read 643,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In fact, I'll take it one step further. If you're facing hardship in life, it may very well be because of the political choices you've made at the ballot box.

Amen!

Don't like that oil prices are as high as a cat's back?

Hmmm, I'm a 48 year old Southerner and have never heard that one!

In other words, we've made our own bed by the political decisions we've made. Now, over the next 40 years, we're going to lie in it unless we have the political courage to do something about it.
You've hit the nail squarely on the head! Too many people are irresponsible and want to whine about their "lack of luck" and vote for someone who will take it away from the "evil rich" and give them what they deserve.

I've always found that the harder I work, the luckier I become!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
The problem is that all those who they vote for are those that have gotten rich.I agree;the harder you work the more that things happen for you.The rich( which I am not) work harder and longer for their money and take big risk.Whiners just stay whiners all their life.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 AM

11,985 posts, read 17,495,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
You've hit the nail squarely on the head! Too many people are irresponsible and want to whine about their "lack of luck" and vote for someone who will take it away from the "evil rich" and give them what they deserve.

I've always found that the harder I work, the luckier I become!
You both should run for office, except that you would have to compromise your common sense.

Anyway, one of my finance profs used to say it over and over- "Anyone- anyone, despite their income level, can save."

What kills me about those who fail to plan for retirement is that they have probably had over 40 years at least to plan for it. Its not like it sneaks up on you, unless you let it.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,579,200 times
Sadly with the candidates that are before us, it looks like wealth will be redistributed, irregardless who wins the W.H. The more younger people we meet, the more I am amazed at what they are expecting someone else to pick up the tab for. These people cross both political parties. My father was a Los Angeles police officer. We lived a simple life and later on, he taught college for retirement funds. He was not wealthy, but he had enough to enjoy life and get off the planet with change.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You both should run for office, except that you would have to compromise your common sense.

Anyway, one of my finance profs used to say it over and over- "Anyone- anyone, despite their income level, can save."

What kills me about those who fail to plan for retirement is that they have probably had over 40 years at least to plan for it. Its not like it sneaks up on you, unless you let it.
Yup. My first job paid a salary barely over the poverty line. I had to work a second job at night to make ends meet. Yet, somehow or another, I always managed to save $100 a month.

It's really easy. You save first, THEN pay your monthly expenses. Because after the rent, car, power, food, beer, movies, clothes, gas, fast food, and whatever else, there's never anything left over.

Hey, it's not fun. I too am into immediate gratification. But you don't get everything you want in life, and those things you want take sacrifice.

But, then again, I learned early that the only person who would take care of me was me. The last thing I want to do is pay for other people's basic inability to save.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,424 times
You people are ruthless!

I wouldn't want to run into you guys in a dark alley. I'm glad you're all so comfortable, and I am, too, for the most part, but what about our fellow Americans? You really think that ALL people have themselves to blame if they're not comfortable, no matter what has happened to them?

You haven't convinced me, that's for sure.

Last edited by cousinsal; 02-29-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM

5,438 posts, read 10,520,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
You people are ruthless!

I wouldn't want to run into you guys in a dark alley. I'm glad you're all so comfortable, and I am, too, for the most part, but what about our fellow Americans? You really think that ALL people have themselves to blame if they're not comfortable, no matter what has happened to them?

Cousinsal, I wouldn't call them ruthless they are giving you their personal experiences, I myself have worked two seperate jobs for over 30 years and I'm in my 50's. My wife has also worked for 25 years, full time. Have we had hurdles to jump in life you betcha, deaths, suicides, close brushes with death yes. Can I retire, yes, do I want to retire, no. Do I feel bad about someone that couldn't save to retire it depends on each particular person and their situation. Will I say I can, why can't you? No. Are you to blame that you can't retire, I don't know, I think your the only one that can answer that question honestly. Anyways good luck, it's a dog eat dog world that we live in. JM

Old 02-29-2008, 12:34 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Cousinsal, I wouldn't call them ruthless they are giving you their personal experiences, I myself have worked two seperate jobs for over 30 years and I'm in my 50's. My wife has also worked for 25 years, full time. Have we had hurdles to jump in life you betcha, deaths, suicides, close brushes with death yes. Can I retire, yes, do I want to retire, no. Do I feel bad about someone that couldn't save to retire it depends on each particular person and their situation. Will I say I can, why can't you? No. Are you to blame that you can't retire, I don't know, I think your the only one that can answer that question honestly. Anyways good luck, it's a dog eat dog world that we live in. JM
I'm not talking about personal experiences - I'm talking about our fellow Americans. I'm not even talking about ME at this point and what I'm going to do. I'm better off than some, and worse off than others, like everybody else.

Doesn't seem anyone has any compassion (except a couple of us) - it's all about "me, me, me - I can retire - why can't everyone else"? Tell that to the elderly woman who has to decide between eating and prescriptions. And, tell her it's her own fault. Jeepers, creepers people - I couldn't do it. Maybe you can.

I just can't think that way.

And Jersey Man, you seem to be saying that it depends on the situation. That's all I'm saying. Some people are to blame, of course, but not everyone, as people seem to be saying.

Or did I misunderstand? Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:13 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
You people are ruthless!

Of course we haven't convinced you, because rationalizing about the unfairness of the system is much, much easier than actually changing your habits and making tough decisions about your lifestyle or professional life. So when we point out the obvious truths to contradict the original poster on this thread, we're suddenly a bunch of heartless bastages (to quote George Costanza), even though we've all been in the same predicament.

Nothing ruthless about it. This is just been the prevailing wisdom since the dawn of time: Save your money for a rainy day. It holds true for everybody on the planet, and always has since the first agrarian community started planting wheat. Heck, you act like somebody just penned this expression last month. Aesop was saying it 2,500 years ago.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,443,611 times
Some folks play monopoly by watching others.

They refuse to read the rules, and so they will make a few mistakes along the way. Will their first game be played at the most optimal? No, I think not. Their learning curve is slow as they must learn from watching others, and many of those others may or may not have solid winning strategies themselves.

Other folks play monopoly by first reading the rules. Trying to gain an understanding of the theory behind it, and establsihing a solid winning strategy.

So it could be said about personal economics.

If you know nothing about our society's tax theory, then you will pay the highest rate of income taxes. Before you can have any opportunity of wasting that money, a third of it wil be taken from you to support the bread-lines.

But if you study our tax system a bit, then you will begin to itemize and avoid paying income taxes. Nothing will come out of your pay. It will all remain in your pocket for you to spend.

If you live life for the experience, and are slow to catch on that debt is a bad thing, then years will go by before you ever stop to consider. To eventually to climb out of debt.

If on the other hand, you study from the beginning, to learn how to budget yourself, how to live frugally, how to invest, then you are considering each expenditure.

Two people can each live side-by-side, they could both have identical salaries, and both support large families.

One could easily live half his life in debt and luxury, to wake-up one day at 60 without a penny to his name.

The other could easily live frugally, itemize his taxes to stop the siphoning of his money to the government, and invest. He could raise a family via a frugal path, and be able to afford to retire when he is ready to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or