Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
In Canada, my mom had to wait two months from the onset of her initial symptoms to get the cat scan that showed she had a malignant brain tumor. The radiology techs were on strike.

I have a friend in Canada whose father was diagnosed with prostate cancer, but was put on a looooong waiting list for treatment because his was a "low-priority cancer".

If you are in immediate danger of dying (like in the next few minutes), you go to the top of the list for treatment. That's socialized medicine...bare bones. It works just fine as long as you're healthy.
Bless you, I tell people and they just don't believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
To 'convert' rental property only requires 181 days.

I have done so a few times.

Also there is a 1995 law that a conversion will wipe away for you.

Also you can refinance a rental, use the money for purchasing a retirement home and then sell the property at a loss, and Ooops not pay taxes.
What do you mean by convert? I understand that tax loss or not paying taxes doesn't mean it benifit you in the long run. can you elaborate?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Another option with Rental Property is a tax deferred 1031 Exchange.

I've used it several times to exchange a single family home into apartment buildings or even better for me... commercial property.

With a properly executed 1031 Exchange, all of the profit or gain is not taxable at the time of the exchange and is deferred. I know some that have deferred taxes indefinitely... leaving the property to their estate with no taxes due because of the estate tax exemption rules.

As an aside... the benefits of commercial property are many... especially with well executed triple net leases.

Commercial Rentals are not subject to the same Consumer Protection Laws as Residential Rentals.

Many I know no longer own any residential rentals... only commercial. When the roof leaks on a commercial building with a NNN lease, it's the tenant that has to repair it. The Tenant often has to pay all the property taxes and pay the owner's property insurance premium...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
What do you mean by convert? I understand that tax loss or not paying taxes doesn't mean it benifit you in the long run. can you elaborate?
A residential rental property is a business, and you use a schedule 'E' to file taxes.

Whereas a house [a single-family dwelling primary residence] is simply a house, and is not a business. It does not depreciate, and is not expected to earn a profit.

To 'convert' a rental property to a house requires that the owner live in that structure as his primary dwelling for 181 days ['greater than six months'].

If you sell a business, and you do not wish to pay taxes on the profit, then you must roll that profit into another 'like business' within plus or minus three years. If that business is a residential rental, than it's profit must go into another residential rental. But if you 'converted' it to a house first. Then different rules apply.

If you had built up a great deal of equity in residential rentals, and you desired to transfer that capital into a farm, which is a completely different type of property. One method might be to convert each residential rental first before you sold them. Then you could use that money to buy the farm.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
What do you successfully retired people do about health insurance? My employer insurance ends the moment I retire and it is becoming almost impossible to find a doctor that will accept Medicare. Private health insurance is prohibitively costly at my age (if they would even accept me). How are you managing it?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What do you successfully retired people do about health insurance? My employer insurance ends the moment I retire and it is becoming almost impossible to find a doctor that will accept Medicare. Private health insurance is prohibitively costly at my age (if they would even accept me). How are you managing it?
I have medical coverage from my employer.

My 'pension' is a retainer fee, if they ever truly needed my services again, I would be obligated to return to work. Since I was forced into retirement due to old age, I seriously doubt that I will ever be recalled. But in either case, they still provide my medical coverage group policy.

I pay an enrollment fee, and co-pays.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
What about COBRA? I know several that opted for early retirement and made sure they were still covered till Medicare kicked in by paying for continuing coverage through COBRA.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What about COBRA?
They can charge whatever they want for COBRA. It isn't necessarily only twice what I pay now. I won't know until I resign and request it. As it is, even with my employers contribution, I'm paying $500 a month for the insurance. Also, COBRA won't cover my wife. I'm almost to Medicare age and don't plan to retire until then, but most doctors are refusing new Medicare patients so it's like being un-insured. I am finding that most people who are doing OK in retirement have some assistance for health insurance through their former employer or the government (VA for example and Civil Service). Ordinary working folks have a dilema.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
They can charge whatever they want for COBRA.
It is my understanding that COBRA is priced (by law) as the employee premium plus the the employer premium plus 10% to cover administrative overhead. It is limited to 18 months of coverage.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the tip-I'll check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement