U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:24 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,562,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Similar thread up in exercise daily log threads. Sorry I don't know how to do link to that. I asked question about all this, how to get back some of my lost strength in hands, back, legs. Someone replied that after 60 -65 one cannot get more muscle, if one doesn't have a lot of it by then, it's too late. Was extremely discouraging to me. I'm 67, really feeling my age. Contemplating going to gym down the street, do a little work on their machines. I am too late apparently.

Has anyone here managed to get back any of their strength?

Count me in as someone who has had a real change for the better in the past 12 months. I have been working out at a nearby gym with the help of a personal trainer who has a background in physical therapy. He designed a program for me taking into account that I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 11 years ago.

My balance has improved by leaps and bounds. My leg strength, arm strength and grip strength more than I could have thought possible.

I will turn 69 in January 2017. When I started Jan 2016 I could only balance on one leg for 3 seconds. Today I can stand around on one leg 10 minutes if I want to! I can do squats while balancing on a rocker board. A few months ago I got to the point of being able to do these balance exercises with my eyes closed!

I am 5'6" and 108 pound female. When I first started doing seated leg presses I managed one set of 10 at 25 lbs. Today at the gym I did 1 set of 10 @140 pounds, second set of 10 at 145 pounds, third set of 10 at 150 pounds and a fourth set of 10 @ 155lbs. That would mean my 1rm (1 rep maximum) is around 216 pounds or twice my body weight. To be able to press twice your body weight is considered excellent for a 30 - 39 year old male. For a 60 - 69 year old female a 1rm of 92 pounds is considered excellent. So, yes, it is never too late to get stronger.

When I started doing upper body strength training, my wrists were so thin and weak I was afraid they would snap like a twig. My trainer gave me some simple wrist exercises with a 3 pound weight. I gradually increased to a 5lb weight. Today I can wrist roll a 35 pound kettle bell. Not only do I have strength and flexibility in my wrists, I have a huge improvement in my grip strength.

This is all leading up to my next goal when I turn 69 next month. I asked my trainer ( who I trust to tell me what I should and should not do because of my osteoporosis) if he thought that my balance, leg strength, arm and grip strength might be enough to try climbing the 34' tall indoor rock wall at the gym. His response was "absolutely!". So, on my birthday I have my first indoor rock climbing lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 PM

1,165 posts, read 653,408 times
Thanks! I have some hope that maybe if I work at it really hard I can get some of my strength back. I intend to try. DH is experiencing some of this also, and what's puzzling is that he never had long periods where he quit being active, working hard. I, on the other hand, had months of bad health while they figured out things, and my favorite thing to do was sit and nap. Probably hastened the muscle loss then.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 PM

588 posts, read 345,491 times
Mary! Rock on girlfriend !

Love Love and Love again!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 PM

588 posts, read 345,491 times
Yes, Gabby you are right, I have my last option which is to have the surgery done. To many docs have told me that I have such an advanced condition...the stuff they stick in to you Botilum (?) toxin did not work for me because as they said...it either works or it doesn't. Sorry to say it did not. I appreciate their candor.

I am not willing to go through something that my last doc told me only 50% or less improve and those may have difficulties in speaking as in the treatment and surgery you received and I am so very happy for you. Anybody tell you that! I am looking at the FDA approved ultrasound, but there again it appears to help but insurance does not pay for it so....

I will continue to take my pills and do what I am doing. The first doc told me when he diagnosed me at age 32 by happenstance that I would never die from it but you will wish you were dead.

He was not so much on bed side manner but he finally found what I was and still am. A VERY strong person.

And from time to time...he is (almost) right. It is what it is. It has not stopped me one whit. Well, maybe a whit or two. I am still here. Living a life on the edge but if this is what I got...OK I am ready for more. Love Love

Old 12-05-2016, 08:50 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,562,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Thanks! I have some hope that maybe if I work at it really hard I can get some of my strength back. I intend to try. DH is experiencing some of this also, and what's puzzling is that he never had long periods where he quit being active, working hard. I, on the other hand, had months of bad health while they figured out things, and my favorite thing to do was sit and nap. Probably hastened the muscle loss then.

The big difference in my progress this past 12 months is having a personal trainer who has a background in physical therapy. Because I have osteoporosis there are specific exercises that I should not do. He designed everything from my warm-up and stretching routine to my balance exercises and strength training. Someone with osteoporosis who has bad knees or a bad lower back would have exercises designed to take those conditions into account.

Based upon your particular issues, it is just as important to learn what exercises you should not be doing as well as exercises you should do with good form. Aim for going to the gym 3 times a week and slow but steady progress. There are no quick fixes. Be sure you work with a trainer who is familiar with your medical conditions and can teach you what exercises to avoid. (For example, because I have osteoporosis all exercises I do I must maintain a neutral spine. That means that any exercise that requires bending forward I should not do.)

I signed up for a package of 20 half hour sessions with my trainer. I used 4 sessions during the first 2 weeks, but, have only used a total of 15 sessions this year. Once I had a basic group of exercises to do I would use another session when I was ready to have more challenging exercises. Now I see him about once every two months to learn a few new exercises.

The money spent has been one of the best investments I have made in my health. Just be sure if you decide to work with a personal trainer that you find someone who is familiar with your specific medical issues and knows what types of exercises you should avoid.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 PM

23,651 posts, read 17,623,979 times
It's interesting to see people improve. We talk about decline frequently on this forum, but I certainly think many seniors who were previously sedentary due to their jobs can certainly gain a lot from regular exercise and seem many years younger.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:21 AM

983 posts, read 763,231 times
SMKSarah - and anyone else with tremor - the success rate for DBS is closer to 90% for noticeable improvement (can't find the link to this information, but it's out there). If you go to a *good* hospital that does a lot of these operations, it really works well.

As for speech side effects - it a patient does experience them, they can easily be removed by adjusting the electrical settings with a small remote. I have a remote, the nurse who adjusts my electricity has a larger, more complicated remote/programmer.

The new guided ultrasound - sounds similar to the other procedure that has been around for longer - ablation or something. I don't think it's adjustable or reversible, which would be concerning. If you have side effects, you are stuck with them. DBS is totally adjustable.

I see many people - especially older people - with tremor, and I *know* how difficult it is. But for most people under age 85, it doesn't have to be difficult. :-)

Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM

625 posts, read 383,138 times
I have never been sick a day in my life and feel younger and smarter every day. Just like my Dad and Grand dad, however they both dropped dead by 52 so maybe not a good indicator.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
I have never been sick a day in my life and feel younger and smarter every day. Just like my Dad and Grand dad, however they both dropped dead by 52 so maybe not a good indicator.
How old are you?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 237 times
I would suggest you try taking some energy boosting vitamins such as NG360 multivitamins. Low energy could be the cause of your state due to sometimes chemical imbalance in the system, nonchalance, poor diet among an array of factors. Increase your daily activities by going to the gym, socializing. and eating right. Just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or