U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 PM

12,709 posts, read 14,089,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
.... I'm 74, really not old by any stretch of the imagination, but really feeling like I am old. I do have a lot of arthritis, the damp weather (we've had a real snow storm over past few days and now it's just cold -- 30'ish degrees). So it's generic Tylenol and heating pad.

Has anyone else experienced these changes? What have you done to get back to normal?

Or is this the new normal and I'm just whining?
Not old? Even if the normal life span were age 100, which it isn't, your life would be three quarters over. That's old...at least chronologically.

I am almost seventy-nine and have some of your problems, and a few more.

Other people your age and mine are in far better health, but they are still chronologically old. Your body and mine are having lots of problems, but not terribly unusual ones from what I see. Other people are luckier, but most not for long.

No, I don't think you are whining. You are taken aback, upset with the adjustments you seem to have to be making. There really is nothing wrong with a one hour nap. The only advice I would presume to give you - as I have severe walking problems from arthritis and another condition - is to try to walk every other day for about forty or forty-five minutes. It make a difference for me, though it is not always what I want to do. But the regularity of it matters.

It may be your new normal, but see what you can do to make this new normal less painful and don't beat yourself up about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:28 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,250,875 times
I have read some very helpful posts here and I want to thank you all. Was able to rep some of you but as most of us know, we can't rep everyone (reason unknown to me).

I forgot to mention about six or eight weeks ago I decided to cut back on the antidepressant I take. It was 1/3 of the dose I take. I'm not missing it and would love to cut it all off but know that to stay safe, it has to be a gradual thing. Even if I was able to cut back to only 1/3 dose for the rest of my life, I would consider it a success.

You have all given me some great ideas regarding medicines we take and I will start my own research on the meds I currently use. Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:30 PM

33,908 posts, read 42,154,529 times
Hmm. I noticed my up close vision going about 15 or so years ago in my mid-40s. Distance is still 20/20.

I definitely can't do an 8 hour day of intense physical labor, 2 or 3 is more like it and less if it's hot (in fact my "cardiac event" happened a couple years ago when I was clearing a big tree off a house on a 95 degree day. It needed done, dammit, leave me alone.

I'm still getting up most days between 4 and 5 but I'm beat by 10 at night, so no 11 o'clock news for me.

I'm getting more and more intolerant of stupid from adults and people I deal with who should know better.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:38 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Not old? Even if the normal life span were age 100, which it isn't, your life would be three quarters over. That's old...at least chronologically.

I am almost seventy-nine and have some of your problems, and a few more.

Other people your age and mine are in far better health, but they are still chronologically old. Your body and mine are having lots of problems, but not terribly unusual ones from what I see. Other people are luckier, but most not for long.

No, I don't think you are whining. You are taken aback, upset with the adjustments you seem to have to be making. There really is nothing wrong with a one hour nap. The only advice I would presume to give you - as I have severe walking problems from arthritis and another condition - is to try to walk every other day for about forty or forty-five minutes. It make a difference for me, though it is not always what I want to do. But the regularity of it matters.

It may be your new normal, but see what you can do to make this new normal less painful and don't beat yourself up about it.

I think when I refer to myself as not being old, it is because in my mind I'm not!

I have had too many accidents. Several automobile and one very bad snowmobile. I've had x-rays of my back and the report read I had a lot of arthritis in my back. Sometimes LS area, other times mid-back to waist, neck/shoulders. Not fun at all. Used to go to chiropractor where I got good relief but did not last very long. I do take pain pills, too. Had to cut out the chiro visits, even tho insurance covered most of it, I still would have a hard time coming up with the rest, especially if I had to go 2-3 times a week. Which was my normal schedule.

I used to do a lot of walking, could do a reasonable distance. And walked fast. Now? I walk a lot slower and not nearly as fast.

Now I have to go lift my mattress and box springs to re-adjust a slat that keeps moving (I don't make the bed move, I have cats that go under and play, play, play.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:37 PM

12,278 posts, read 12,516,106 times
I'm 70, and in very good health. I limit my exertion to short periods. There's no way I could swing a splitting maul for 4 hours like I used to. Fortunately, I'm retired and can get my yard work done an hour or two at a time. I can still climb 3 flights of stairs without getting out of breath, but would never try to walk up the Washington Monument any more.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:45 PM

21,906 posts, read 14,397,959 times
When I started going to the gym over 3 years ago, my knees were mushy and my left knee hurt a lot. My shoulder hurt at night, and I had back spasms. After three years of walking, using a recumbent elliptical and weight machines, my knees feel firm, my legs are much stronger, my back hurts not so much and I feel better in general.

This past year I had bad leg and knee pain, and I found that when I went back to the original arch supports in my athletic shoes, the pain went away.

All this to say--I feel pretty good. A shopping trip does not wipe me out any more. But--I do find that I need lots of breaks when I do chores. And, working outside makes me tired more than I would like to admit. When I do things, I need space around the activity. I absolutely hate cramming multiple activities into a short period of time. Other changes I have noted are my taste, and my difficulty pulling up name and some words. The latter problem is worse on days when I haven't had good rest. My taster is off all the time though. Things do not taste the same as they used to.

This aging thing is sort of interesting but it isn't a whole lot of fun.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:02 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
I'm getting lazier as I'm getting older. I used to have a long list of things to do. Not anymore.
I told myself one of these days, I will read the Wall Street Journal from start to finish, like I used to do. I have not been able to. These damn iPads keep getting in my way.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:52 PM

9,172 posts, read 3,012,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Two years ago I started stumbling around and falling (at age 66) and my legs seemed weak. I could go up steps only one at a time. My doctor traced it back to a statin drug reaction. My health insurance switched me to a cheaper generic some months before...thank you very much. Still having leg problems with no statins for two years. Turns out I didn't need them in the first place...my former doctor was a zealot cardiologist who thought everyone needed statins. He died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I don't need any of that. I'm a vegan(for the last 12 years) who doesn't eat sugar(anything in food packages with sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, malto dextrins) or wheat. I have dark chocolate powder twice a day, and take plenty of vitamins. Last time a doctor tested my BP it was normal, and that was in the middle of a 103 degree fever for a tick borne disease. My Cholesterol is very very low.

You can have a diet that prevents the need for these drugs, and all their amazingly bad side effects.
Your mention of high-fructose corn syrup, which is one of the most disruptive things to your energy level you can ingest, leads me to tell about this: There is an increasing use of "concentrated pear nectar", as a sweetener in canned fruit and other kinds of foods, that are labeled as having "no sugar added". This is an end-run, to be able to give products a superficial appearance of being low-sugar. In fact, the pear nectar is very loaded with simple carbohydrates.

Several years ago, I was eating a can of fruit cocktail every day, that was labeled as "no sugar added", but contained plenty of pear nectar. After several days, it began making me sick and feeling low on energy. I have no laboratory evidence for this, but I suspect that the process of concentrating the pear juice may put the carbohydrates through a process that results in a form of sugar similar to that in high-fructose corn syrup. There may be a use of this nectar in other types of foods and I would avoid them, myself.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:46 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,672,610 times
Early sixties here, and I haven't noticed much change in my physical abilities, but my immune system is not working as well or the germs/viruses are more virulent now. I used to get over colds/respiratory illnesses much easier, but recovering is taking noticeably longer now. I see my young grandkids three to five afternoons after school each week. They are walking germ incubators and I pick up most of the illnesses they contract. I always used to get a flu shot each year in early October and since moving here, I have picked up whatever respiratory illness is making the rounds in school and am lucky if I can get the flu shot in late November.

I don't know if it's a new-to-me area with a variation in germs/viruses or the stress of moving and being retired kicking my immune system. Or damn it, just being older. The path to being in good physical shape is clear with exercise and diet but beefing up my immune system isn't as clear and not something I can see if it's better or not.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:46 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,431,784 times
Of course, at seventy one is not 21 anymore. I have been a weightlifter all of my life. I hate to use the moniker bodybuilder because of the negative connotations. However it is much the same thing. ENtirely.
Energy levels are still good. Can't work out like I used to, weight or repetitions. The wind isn't there
anymore for running either.
However I still look pretty good and still wear the same waist size etc. as years ago- as another poster entered here earlier on. Still get around quite well.
I would suggest to the original poster that it is- never too late to begin training. Diminished strength
will return after a time as will flexibility and more stamina. As long as you haven't any ailments or heart conditions that would make exercise detrimental to your health I would highly recommend beginning. The
longer you wait the more quickly you will deteriorate and the longer it will be for your vigor to regenerate.
Eat well, take vitamins (insurance) and the body will take care of itself, not forever but strive to
care of it.
Begin with tiny weights, merely 5 lbs. and it will be easy. Proceed from bodypart to bodypart with tiny
steps and small increments you may just be amazed. Lots of sources on the internet for exercises. Be cautious but persist and the rewards will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or