U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times

Advertisements

Yes. I find I have lost the ability to tolerate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:37 AM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm getting lazier as I'm getting older. I used to have a long list of things to do. Not anymore.
I told myself one of these days, I will read the Wall Street Journal from start to finish, like I used to do. I have not been able to. These damn iPads keep getting in my way.
Oh, yes! Yes! This is me exactly. But we didn't have time to sit down with anything like this before retirement, no? So, now we have, and enjoy, having the time.

The IPad came along at just the right time for me.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Your mention of high-fructose corn syrup, which is one of the most disruptive things to your energy level you can ingest, leads me to tell about this: There is an increasing use of "concentrated pear nectar", as a sweetener in canned fruit and other kinds of foods, that are labeled as having "no sugar added". This is an end-run, to be able to give products a superficial appearance of being low-sugar. In fact, the pear nectar is very loaded with simple carbohydrates.

Several years ago, I was eating a can of fruit cocktail every day, that was labeled as "no sugar added", but contained plenty of pear nectar. After several days, it began making me sick and feeling low on energy. I have no laboratory evidence for this, but I suspect that the process of concentrating the pear juice may put the carbohydrates through a process that results in a form of sugar similar to that in high-fructose corn syrup. There may be a use of this nectar in other types of foods and I would avoid them, myself.
I read labels to see carb levels. I don't think canned fruit is a good food. Better to eat fresh, or at least as fresh as you can get during the winter months.

If the carb number is the same on a pear concentrate sweetened fruit, as it is on a high fructose sweetened fruit, then there is no advantage to eating the former.

I think your experience is a good indicator that highly sweetened fruit is not a good choice for you.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:48 AM

37,088 posts, read 45,584,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I read labels to see carb levels. I don't think canned fruit is a good food. Better to eat fresh, or at least as fresh as you can get during the winter months.

If the carb number is the same on a pear concentrate sweetened fruit, as it is on a high fructose sweetened fruit, then there is no advantage to eating the former.

I think your experience is a good indicator that highly sweetened fruit is not a good choice for you.
Oh yes, those simple carbs make me sluggish. I do not even eat much fresh fruit because of the sugar.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Well, that was pretty dang true for Jack LaLaine! Runners, dancers, swimmers, and cyclists often are in amazing shape, mentally and physically well in to their late 70s and even 80s. It depends on the sport and what it does to your body. I doubt any aggressive team sport or say, golf or bowling qualifies for life enhancement due to improved physical condition. Mental, yes.

Supplements are of little or no use once the damage is done. They don't grow cartilage or replace synovial fluid. Their value lies in preventing the damage in the first place, by allowing your body to make the compounds it would ordinarily if the building blocks were there. Taking them well before you need them is what counts.
In the 17 years since I've been taking glucosamine hydrochloride (Schick brand, more effective than the cheaper glucosamine sulfate of most other brands) and MSM (from Kala Health, endorsed by Dr. Stanley Jacob, the researcher who discovered its function), my joints have not just been maintained, but have been restored to a point where they're as good as when I was 17. My height has regained 1/2-inch, that it had lost previously. This could indicate a thickening of cartilage all along the length of the body. Studies on rabbits showed that administration of glucosamine greatly helped them heal cartilage that had been surgically cut open. The test group without glucosamine supplements, did not heal very much. Take that information or leave it-----they're your joints. Several of my friends have reported similar benefits. One has recently told me of a distinct improvement a few months after switching to Schick glucosamine hydrochloride, from the sulfate version.

I've had damage to the cartilage of both shoulders, a couple of times in recent years, from weight-lifting mishaps. There was popping and pain. But over the period of a year or so, both times it has healed. One shoulder seems as good as new, 18 months after a serious injury and the other is mostly healed after 15 months and getting better every day, with continued, but careful exercise. I take 2,000 mg daily of both MSM and glucosamine hydrochloride. My body functions as though I was a young athlete, although chronologically I'm much older. When people see me in street clothes, they regard me as an old man, but when I'm in running shorts and have a summer tan, their reaction to me is completely different. Many people have refused to recognize my clothed, pale, winter self, as the same person as my summer self in shorts. I've had to show my driver's license to convince some of them.

My following a disciplined diet has helped a lot. I eat nothing other than the most healthy foods. I consume no grain, no sugar, very little animal fat, but plenty of fresh fruit & vegetables, lean chicken breasts, sardines & non-fat, plain, natural yogurt, natural almond and peanut butter, pinto and great northern beans (never any black, soy or kidney beans) and an avocado every day. I have eliminated canned tuna, as unfortunately it contains soy oil or soy broth in the water-pack version. Read about the estrogenic effect flavonoids in soy beans have on the body and the anti-nutritional properties that the phenolic resin pigments in black and kidney beans have on the assimilation of proteins.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 11-24-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh yes, those simple carbs make me sluggish. I do not even eat much fresh fruit because of the sugar.
Technically the carbs in fresh fruit should be complex carbs because of the fiber in them. That's why I seldom drink orange juice, preferring an actual orange from time to time.

I do know that fruit needs to be eaten with discretion though, because of the natural sugars.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:41 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,737,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes. I find I have lost the ability to tolerate stupid people.

Amen to that.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:58 PM

761 posts, read 637,263 times
Yup!
Now when I skip rope, I really skip rope and leave it on the shelf for the kids to play with!

Old 11-24-2016, 06:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Technically the carbs in fresh fruit should be complex carbs because of the fiber in them. That's why I seldom drink orange juice, preferring an actual orange from time to time.

I do know that fruit needs to be eaten with discretion though, because of the natural sugars.
This is very true. If you gulp a big glass of fruit juice, you get a lot of calories and little of the pulp, which contains good vitamins and fiber. By eating and chewing fruit, your saliva neutralizes much of the acid.
I mostly eat fruit like apples, pears, cherries, berries, peaches, and plums. They have a low glycemic-index number, at about 27 to 29, indicating that their sugars take longer to convert to blood sugar. This reduces the disruption to blood sugar levels and doesn't contribute to the development of Type II diabetes, nor to as much storage of excess sugar as body-fat. I wouldn't worry about eating too much of this type of fruit, unless you do have a diabetic condition. For 5 months of the year, I get a lot of wild-growing fruit from trees, vines and bushes in the surrounding hills and some from my own yard.

Some other fruits, such as bananas, pineapple, mangoes and papayas, have moderately high glycemic-index numbers, around 57 to 70 and I avoid them. Bananas also have a large amount of carbohydrate, that is not like that of other fruit, as they are a member of the grass family, the same as grains. In the past, I often ate several large bananas per day. When I ended that, keeping my weight down became much easier. The very worst sugar is that of dates, which rates off the top of the 0 to 100 index, at 103. For reference, table sugar, refined white flour and white, baked potatoes rate at 100. A steamed or boiled potato and winter squash will have a lower glycemic number, because the lower temperature of boiling won't reduce the sugars to as low a level as baking temperature will do and they take longer to digest and convert to blood sugar.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 11-24-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 07:09 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
At 72 I was fine until I had cataract surgery this past summer. It caused "glare" at night which means big long rays of light stream out from street lights and any other light alongside the road. So driving at night is really difficult because of all the blinding lights. It has also disrupted my day time vision, and another thing: a film has developed over both of the new lenses.

In a few weeks I get to have more cataract surgery, something called a yag. Quick laser surgery to remove the film that has grown. After that there may be some improvement. The whole thing has been a big let down because this surgeon was supposed to be really good and he even told me I'd never need glasses again. Ha! I already had to pay $200 (Medicare pays the first $200) for new progressive lens glasses that I can't see though. After this "yag" correction, I will try again with different glasses from a different optician, probably at Costo for under $400.

This surgery is really limiting my enjoyment of life and has negatively affected my ability to function on my own, especially in the realm of driving.
^^^^^ your cataract surgery is exactly like my surgery. Been back for the quick laser surgery to get rid of the film over the lens. Still have to wear glasses.

Never would have gone for the surgery if I knew it would turn out like it has.

BTW best price on progressive lens eyewear is Walmart in my area $150 total including titanium metal frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or