Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 04:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times

Advertisements

One thing I find interesting in reading all these posts is that people who have noticed changes have been noticing them at various ages. I wonder how much things like genetics, diet, location and other conditions play a role in just when people first begin to find their abilities diminishing.

Looks like we have as young as 50 all the way on up to the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 05:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I have diagnosed dry eye. For several years I have used Restasis, which has helped. It is however awfully expensive, and there is no generic version. I am surprised that an ophthalmologist has not prescribed it for NYgal.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have diagnosed dry eye. For several years I have used Restasis, which has helped. It is however awfully expensive, and there is no generic version. I am surprised that an ophthalmologist has not prescribed it for NYgal.

Been down that road. I asked him about it and he said no. Do not use it. I have glaucoma, as several people I know do. We all see the same ophthalmologist. None of us use it.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
When I started going to the gym over 3 years ago, my knees were mushy and my left knee hurt a lot. My shoulder hurt at night, and I had back spasms. After three years of walking, using a recumbent elliptical and weight machines, my knees feel firm, my legs are much stronger, my back hurts not so much and I feel better in general.

This past year I had bad leg and knee pain, and I found that when I went back to the original arch supports in my athletic shoes, the pain went away.

All this to say--I feel pretty good. A shopping trip does not wipe me out any more. But--I do find that I need lots of breaks when I do chores. And, working outside makes me tired more than I would like to admit. When I do things, I need space around the activity. I absolutely hate cramming multiple activities into a short period of time. Other changes I have noted are my taste, and my difficulty pulling up name and some words. The latter problem is worse on days when I haven't had good rest. My taster is off all the time though. Things do not taste the same as they used to.

This aging thing is sort of interesting but it isn't a whole lot of fun.

But it's better than the alternative, perhaps? I heard an expression onetime about being surprised at the infirmities of old age creeping up on us, and it went so something like "being a very surprised 20 year old in a 70 year old body", and I can identify with that. In our minds we're the same people we were at age 20, so it can come as a surprise when at age 70 (or whatever age), we discover we aren't as agile, we don't have the stamina that we had as youngsters, and things break down sometimes or don't work as well as they did then.

I've always been mostly a "glass half full" kind of person, so tend to look at things as I can from a positive, or at least a hopeful perspective, and figure there that while things may take longer to get done now (and they sure do for me), most of the time there is no reason for any hurry, and I can finish something tomorrow, stop and rest or take that nap if I need to. I remember so many years of time constraints when I was working a job and a half, raising a family, and had to fit multiple tasks into a short time on a day off, and I always overscheduled and never could get all done either. Now I don't have to do that and what a relief that is!

I also started on a relatively vigorous exercise program and more or less healthy diet about a year ago after an attack of afib. We have a combination elliptical/recumbant bike at home (takes up too much room in our spare bedroom but it's important so it will stay there), and I do about 45-50 minutes on that machine 5 days a week, have adjusted the settings upwards as I got used to it. That has helped immensely with my joints, mobility, stamina, weight loss, and though I don't love doing it, it is worth it and I feel so good when I am done.

I'll say that helps-doesn't totally alleviate those vicissitudes of advancing age, but I will take it.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:53 AM

888 posts, read 889,591 times
Hopefully for most of us, a net positive gain in our abilities as we age should be our wisdom. Mine seems to get better with age. And if that's not true, then what gets better with age is my ability to give myself an "attaboy".

Old 11-28-2016, 12:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Hopefully for most of us, a net positive gain in our abilities as we age should be our wisdom. Mine seems to get better with age. And if that's not true, then what gets better with age is my ability to give myself an "attaboy".
It's funny but I feel no wiser and have no more self confidence than I ever did. I do feel that I know a lot more than I used to though. You know? When you see those articles with "helpful hints" and they turn out to be things you already know. There's one on facebook about helpful hacks or something--duh, I already know those too. And when you look up a recipe just to make sure of one measurement and it's written in the language of a first grader complete with video!

So I feel as though I know all the practical stuff I need to know. It's the newer, trail blazing things that leave me out in the cold. Like, what do I do now? (Re: moving, health issues, decisions.)

Old 11-28-2016, 12:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's funny but I feel no wiser and have no more self confidence than I ever did. I do feel that I know a lot more than I used to though. You know? When you see those articles with "helpful hints" and they turn out to be things you already know. There's one on facebook about helpful hacks or something--duh, I already know those too. And when you look up a recipe just to make sure of one measurement and it's written in the language of a first grader complete with video!

So I feel as though I know all the practical stuff I need to know. It's the newer, trail blazing things that leave me out in the cold. Like, what do I do now? (Re: moving, health issues, decisions.)
We never give ourselves credit for what we know. We "pick" things up as we go along in life. It pleases me when I do something that reminds me of how my mother did things and I'm doing them same way.

I have been lucky in that my confidence level is much higher than it ever was. Now when something happens, I no longer stew about it. I know that I am not responsible for everything that happens. Not required to fix everything that is "broken" (relationships). I am not afraid to speak up for myself. I'm not the quiet mouse I once was. It feels terrific.

Some relatives have resented me for not doing what they thought I should be doing. All the time I was going through some hard stuff of my own and did not look to anyone to help me. I do not feel bad anymore. If those relatives want to continue thinking I failed, well, too bad for them.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Well, I've been lurking around this thread so I guess it's time I 'came out'. LOL

I have noticed quite a bit of deterioration in my hand strength.
Most times I now have to use a flat rubber thingie to open jars.

That really annoys me, because I used to have great strength in my hands.

More than once, when I'm trying to do something and my hands aren't cooperating, I've said aloud "c'mon hands, you gotta work!'

I'm 65.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Quote:
I use Flaxseed oil pills. BH does, too.
Amazing difference, but took two months
to notice the change from sandpaper eyes.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:49 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
My arthritis gets a bit more noticeable.
I get tired easily.
But I shall persevere and continue
my regimen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement