Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Breaking news, 20 MM dispensary licenses have just been announced in Mass. I have a MIL suffering from a botched back operation and several senior friends who all have chronic pain from MS and other disease. They are all reluctant to talk with their doctors about the possibility that MM could help them. I think they're "old school" and still stigmatized by illegal "pot."

I wonder if anyone here has any experience with MM treatment and if it is/was positive or negative or mixed. How does it work in your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
It's illegal in my state but my niece's husband is a 47-year-old former firefighter with MS. He uses it for symptom relief. Unlike prescription meds, he's experienced no problems with tolerance build-up, been using it for several years now.

And 60+ y.o. sister-in-law used it to effectively control her nausea while doing chemo.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
I use it & have for years to deal with arthritis pain and to assist with getting a good night's sleep. If you have no experience with it, I would suggest starting out with low dosage edibles rather than smoking. Mints, cookies, gums, soft drinks, tinctures, etc are all available here in Colorado. Can't speak for Massachusetts though.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
I use it & have for years to deal with arthritis pain and to assist with getting a good night's sleep. If you have no experience with it, I would suggest starting out with low dosage edibles rather than smoking. Mints, cookies, gums, soft drinks, tinctures, etc are all available here in Colorado. Can't speak for Massachusetts though.
My MIL would not smoke it. Is it just as effective if you bake it into something? How do you know how much to use for one dose, is an M.D. going to even know?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My MIL would not smoke it. Is it just as effective if you bake it into something? How do you know how much to use for one dose, is an M.D. going to even know?
Speaking from experience (some people have a checkered past. I have a paisley past ), yes it is very effective when baked into brownies. Back in the day we would mix an ounce of shake* into a pound of brownies. Cut the pan into 16 squares and just eat one. Takes about 45 minutes for it to reach 100% effect. One plus is that a dose lasts much longer than smoking.

Start your MIL off slow. Taking too much of a dose can induce panic.

I remember the time when one of my friends came upon a tray of magic brownies. Not realizing their true nature he ate half the pan. If I recall he was pretty stoned for the better part of a week.
For the record, I haven't smoke dope for 23 years and have no desire to do so agian.

*bud trimmings

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-31-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 03:38 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
I definitely would if I was in extreme pain.
If I could tolerate smoking

Old 01-31-2014, 03:39 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Medical marijuana is not prescribed in any dosage. Physicians give written approval or recommendation for the patient to use it. State laws regulate the quantity and forms in which it can be purchased.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Medical marijuana is not prescribed in any dosage. Physicians give written approval or recommendation for the patient to use it. State laws regulate the quantity and forms in which it can be purchased.
So how would anyone know how much to use, say in brownies. I don't want her to OD and get sick.

Does any health insurance cover it? (I imagine not)

What's the deal with getting the "card"–is that from her M.D.?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I would definitely use it as long as I didn't have to smoke it. I believe you'd get some of the same adverse effects as smoking tobacco and I don't want that.

When we baked the marijuana into brownies it still worked.

The only thing I worry about with the legalization, besides abuse, is that people might drive under the influence. I did once, unknowingly. It can wear off and then come back again. Not a good thing when you're behind the wheel of a car. Luckily I had gotten off the highway and was in my hometown when it hit me again. But I couldn't find my way around in my hometown. They'd better warn people about that effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The only thing I worry about with the legalization, besides abuse, is that people might drive under the influence. I did once, unknowingly. It can wear off and then come back again. Not a good thing when you're behind the wheel of a car. Luckily I had gotten off the highway and was in my hometown when it hit me again. But I couldn't find my way around in my hometown. They'd better warn people about that effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never thought of that. MIL still drives. Maybe it's not such a good idea after all. But she cannot take codeine and other painkillers and she is miserable.

How long does it take for the effects to wear off so driving is safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement