U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:32 AM

2,448 posts, read 3,668,587 times

Advertisements

Continuing medications after retirement?

Shoot, my wife and I are rapidly approaching retirement and neither of us is taking any medications. Not because we refuse to see a Doctor or refuse to take medications when necessary. We simply do not need any of the maintenance meds - yet.

We definitely get the fish-eye from all health care professionals when we answer "None'' on the Medications List that is often required before receiving any services. They then go through the list verbally with us, very slowly (as if we are half-wits), and ask specifically about cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, etc.

Obviously we are part of a very small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:37 AM

15,250 posts, read 8,543,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
They may be talking to you because no one else wants to hear it. The biggest complaint I hear is people talking about their health. Quick way to lose friends.

I don't take any medications.
The lesson is to only talk to sympathetic people!

Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 AM

37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
I've taken a blood pressure pill for many years now, and imagine it will be forever. Also take something for joint pain, and an antacid, but those are OTC.

When we get together with friends our age, the first subject of conversation is ailments, treatments, and meds. I think we all like to compare and contrast to make sure we haven't missed out on a better treatment option.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:50 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The lesson is to only talk to sympathetic people!
Sure there are plenty of people who will discuss health issues and are "sympathetic". In my experience most of them are looking for an excuse to unload their medical stories and health concerns.

Instead, I look for people who, regardless of physical issues, are doing interesting things, learning and making achievements in life. I would rather discuss those and avoid the people who have little else to say beyond their complaints.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:51 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Vitamin D. I'm low on Vitamin D.
Go outside.

I have had a long history of bursitis in both elbows. NSAIDs helped but, the symptoms would come and go. After a few years it got to where I was going to be using NSAIDs long-term. So I began taking fish-oil. With fish-oil, I have been able to stop the NSAIDs completely.

In terms of taking a daily 'maintenance' dose of something I prefer something that has no side effects.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 961,036 times
Default BIG PHARMA at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you are retired or fast approaching that point in life, it would not be unusual at all that you may be on some medications to help you along for one or more health conditions. What medications are you on that you consider to be life-saving that you will probably be on for the foreseeable future?
You don't HAVE to be on any of those meds. You CHOOSE to sit there, like a sheep, and allow your MD/PCP to put you on all those meds and most of the time they are just putting you on them for you to return every 3 months for another check.
My own PCP AND a cardiology MD almost killed me recently by doubling the doseage of a beta blocker that they put me on for something called SCAD (Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection). I've always had very LOW BP, as do most of my family members. But with the SCAD diagnosis, which is rare and only found in women (90%) they have developed a medication 'protocol' to use as a 'one size fits all' SCADsters. Suddenly I had PVCS and a BP of 140/90 so they kept doubling the dose of the beta blocker. My BP in 3 months climbed to 188/122 and I am a RN who, thankfully, knows my body and can look things up, too. I stopped the beta blocker, called my cardiology MD and told him to change the med to one I took 25 yrs ago for migraines that lowered my BP too much and had to stop, and he did so but with much 'it won't work as well' comments. Now my BP is 109/60, the PVCs have stopped 100% and thank God I didn't sit there allowing my other med to either kill me or stroke me out.
You need to be your OWN advocate and do your due diligence and QUESTION your MDs. Mine told me on my 1st post SCAD office visit, "I'm a numbers guy....I don't do red herrings." Well, I have lived 63 yrs knowing that I AM one of those 'red herrings' and listen to my body when it SCREAMS that something is not a 'numbers thing', as this is not my first time at this medical rodeo. I have been told, "We've never seen it before", "This is the 1% of what could happen to someone" ETC my whole life. I lost one eye to an Ophthamology MD who wouldn't listen to me and went on his vacation and the meds he put me on KILLED MY RETINA....and all he could say was, "I'm so sorry bout that".
If you are not medical, hire someone to take a look-see at all the meds your multitude of MDs have you on and get off ALL that you can. I refused that STATIN drugs from the minute they put 3 stents in my heart to open up the clean vessel that was tearing. WHY? Because the cardiology 'numbers guy' couldn't give me a good reason to be on it. At 5 months out, I am still taking the beta blocker and one aspirin a day but stopped all the other meds as the side effects were too horrible to deal with. I will take my chances at death vs permanent injury from these drugs that we are asked to take as a 'protocol' for a rare diagnosis by a 'numbers guy' MD. I bet I will still be here in my 80s, too....my Dad is still alive and kicking well.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:44 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,466,693 times
Red wine.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,174,073 times
Thyroid,various insulin products, Atenolol, Plavix, Respiradone,Lisinapril, Atvorstatin, B 12, Folic acid, Gabapentin, Nitro patches, Meclizine, Melotonin, Asprin.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:43 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you are retired or fast approaching that point in life, it would not be unusual at all that you may be on some medications to help you along for one or more health conditions. What medications are you on that you consider to be life-saving that you will probably be on for the foreseeable future?
Anticonvulsants. Staying conscious while driving is a big plus

Old 11-25-2016, 12:13 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,873,794 times
I am 61, husband is 70. Neither one of us take any meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or