U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2016, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,688 posts, read 2,059,266 times
Reputation: 2132

Advertisements

Prilosec for chronic heartburn/GERD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2016, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,365 posts, read 548,404 times
Reputation: 1102
I just found out the diabetes medicine I am taking is not covered by Medicaid. The market price for 3-month prescription ranges between $2,150--2,400 as quoted by Walgreen, CVS and Safeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,698 posts, read 8,494,355 times
Reputation: 29408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I just found out the diabetes medicine I am taking is not covered by Medicaid. The market price for 3-month prescription ranges between $2,150--2,400 as quoted by Walgreen, CVS and Safeway.
Look into online US pharmacies or buying through an online Canadian pharmacy. Buying through your neighborhood pharmacy is not always the best value, even when using your insurance. When checking the prices of my various prescription drugs for next year on my Medicare Advantage plan, I was dismayed to discover that one of my prescription drugs jumped from $16/30 pills to $109/30 pills! There was no logical explanation for it. The drug is a 50 year old generic antihistamine, very safe and effective (though rarely used because of its age) and has always been dirt cheap. So I asked the insurance company what to do. The representative suggested I bypass using my insurance "benefits" completely and just pay for the drug out of pocket at the pharmacy.

So I called the pharmacy and asked about the out of pocket price. The pharmacist told me the cash price would be $18/30 pills. So I went one step further and checked with the online pharmacy I use occasionally (HealthWarehouse in Ohio). They were far cheaper than that even! 120 pills would cost me $12.00 Maybe that will help you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Miraflores
786 posts, read 894,992 times
Reputation: 1531
I don't take anything, but as my Father is almost 99 and my wife is 30 years younger than me, I suspect Viagra will be in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,249 posts, read 8,543,297 times
Reputation: 35677
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The lesson is to only talk to sympathetic people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sure there are plenty of people who will discuss health issues and are "sympathetic". In my experience most of them are looking for an excuse to unload their medical stories and health concerns.


Instead, I look for people who, regardless of physical issues, are doing interesting things, learning and making achievements in life. I would rather discuss those and avoid the people who have little else to say beyond their complaints.
Yes...by that I mean that people who are healthy tend to not have a lot of sympathy toward the unhealthy so if you have health issues don't pick a healthy person to share with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,365 posts, read 548,404 times
Reputation: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Look into online US pharmacies or buying through an online Canadian pharmacy. Buying through your neighborhood pharmacy is not always the best value, even when using your insurance. When checking the prices of my various prescription drugs for next year on my Medicare Advantage plan, I was dismayed to discover that one of my prescription drugs jumped from $16/30 pills to $109/30 pills! There was no logical explanation for it. The drug is a 50 year old generic antihistamine, very safe and effective (though rarely used because of its age) and has always been dirt cheap. So I asked the insurance company what to do. The representative suggested I bypass using my insurance "benefits" completely and just pay for the drug out of pocket at the pharmacy.

So I called the pharmacy and asked about the out of pocket price. The pharmacist told me the cash price would be $18/30 pills. So I went one step further and checked with the online pharmacy I use occasionally (HealthWarehouse in Ohio). They were far cheaper than that even! 120 pills would cost me $12.00 Maybe that will help you too.
Thanks. I am still three years from enrolling in Medicaid. It seems their drug plan is quite restrictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Backwoods of Maine
7,116 posts, read 8,160,025 times
Reputation: 18774
At age 69, I take no meds. At age 67, my wife takes no meds. It's not because we never go to the doctor. We do when we need to, but otherwise stay away.

There are many older adults who are obese, who smoke, drink, have a history of recreational drug use, and who choose not to eat even half sensibly, or to get any exercise at all. They are up late at night, sleep poorly, spend the day in front of the TV and run to some doctor when they get a hangnail. They don't say who they are and I'm not asking. It's their choice.

Those of us who live cleanly and have no history of obesity, smoking, or excessive alcohol or drug abuse, don't usually need any/many meds.

Another thing that stymies me, is all the psychtropic drugs people are on. Anxiety, nervousness, boredom, depression, whatever it is, they take whatever some doc or psyche-type prescribes, and just take it for life.

Periodically, anyone on meds should get together with their doc and go over every prescription, and honestly evaluate whether it is still needed. Chances are, the doc won't want to change anything, unless substituting one drug for another.

The idea that you are not on your meds for life, is apparently a novel concept to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Reputation: 51920
Do not post about pain medication unless you are asking to be robbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,903 posts, read 4,585,415 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Thanks. I am still three years from enrolling in Medicaid. It seems their drug plan is quite restrictive.
Medicaid or Medicare? Two totally different programs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2016, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
Reputation: 61818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I just found out the diabetes medicine I am taking is not covered by Medicaid. The market price for 3-month prescription ranges between $2,150--2,400 as quoted by Walgreen, CVS and Safeway.
Try pricing it from a Canadian pharmacy. We use one (Northwest Pharmacy) for an expensive drug my husband takes, which is not available in generic in this country, but is in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top