U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Thanks. I am still three years from enrolling in Medicaid. It seems their drug plan is quite restrictive.
There are many drug plans out there. You can check them out ahead of time (online) to see if they cover your particular list of drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
At age 69, I take no meds. At age 67, my wife takes no meds. It's not because we never go to the doctor. We do when we need to, but otherwise stay away.

There are many older adults who are obese, who smoke, drink, have a history of recreational drug use, and who choose not to eat even half sensibly, or to get any exercise at all. They are up late at night, sleep poorly, spend the day in front of the TV and run to some doctor when they get a hangnail. They don't say who they are and I'm not asking. It's their choice.

Those of us who live cleanly and have no history of obesity, smoking, or excessive alcohol or drug abuse, don't usually need any/many meds.

Another thing that stymies me, is all the psychtropic drugs people are on. Anxiety, nervousness, boredom, depression, whatever it is, they take whatever some doc or psyche-type prescribes, and just take it for life.

Periodically, anyone on meds should get together with their doc and go over every prescription, and honestly evaluate whether it is still needed. Chances are, the doc won't want to change anything, unless substituting one drug for another.

The idea that you are not on your meds for life, is apparently a novel concept to them.
Maybe it's because you don't need meds that you really have no clue about which you speak.

Clean living, eating healthy foods, and exercise are certainly good for you. But they do not eliminate all medical problems.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am in agreement with you on this point ... generally.

I think that the ONLY exception is within your family. If family members share what their different problems are it often can serve as a call for those younger to take preventative measures years before they get symptoms.

As for publishing all my prescriptions on a public forum, I see no need and have no inclination to do so.
I agree. It's one thing to have this come up in conversation, but just coming right out asking the nature of someone's illnesses to me is rude.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:09 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,443,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That + good sex makes a happy life.
I wish I could. Cancer hit me, the surgeon removed the nerve-bundle from my genitals. Then 4 years later the cancer returned, now I am on meds that block any testosterone.

It is only a 2-year protocol.

But healthy living and organic diet do not prevent cancer.

I do wish I could be doing the sex.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,642,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree. It's one thing to have this come up in conversation, but just coming right out asking the nature of someone's illnesses to me is rude.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
As a retired person, the one thing I avoid talking about is health issues. No one wants hear a bunch of complaints. The complaints only seem to make the complainer feel worse. Nothing is accomplished in the process.

Millions of retirement-aged people are on statins, antihypertensives and insulin. I cannot imagine why anyone would want a list of forum members on those and additional meds.
I see nothing wrong with the topic. If you don't want to post related to the topic, simply ignore.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 PM

1,321 posts, read 646,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In person it would be rude, but not on a message board. If you don`t want to answer, just by pass it.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:34 AM

9,751 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We can always hope sheer hubris will be appropriately rewarded by the fates.
LOL, or that bragging about one's own good health, accompanied or not by such judgemental remarks towards others not as fortunate, will anger the gods of pestilence and they will smite them. Not that I wish this for anyone but karma and all that.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Iím with you fluffy, I find such an attitude appallingly ignorant.
Same here. My family has a bunch of genetically shared illnesses from which there is no escape no matter how much kale I eat.

Other family members have one or two, I inherited them all. It's one reason I never wanted to have kids; the buck stops here.

The "attitude" is appallingly ignorant. It was posted, I believe, to be boastful especially since it had nothing to do with the OP's question which was asking about medications that will be taken and not will you be taking them.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:47 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
Apparently I should take up marijuana, heard it boosts the elderly brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or