U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:15 PM

890 posts, read 676,459 times

Advertisements

I've been off from work since Monday close of business and have had a real taste of this slower pace stuff. Looking forward going back to work tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 02:59 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
....................... Work is extremely important in my culture--it is what makes you a worthwhile person, no matter what type of work you do, as long as it's honest and you do a good job.

To the OP: First, please ignore the gratuitous nastiness that has been directed your way. I don't know why a different take on things causes some people to be nasty about it. I suppose we should pity them for living with such generalized hostility.

Second, with regard to your sentence which I quoted above, I share your basic attitude.

Over the years here in the City-Data Retirement Forum, I have noticed this difference about basic attitudes toward work. There is the attitude which you and I share, and then there is the attitude that work is a necessary evil (emphasis on the "evil") which is to be jettisoned at the earliest possible moment in order that one can start to live life.

I suppose a certain amount of talking past each other is inevitable in the face of such basic differences in attitude toward work, since work consumes a significant part of most people's lives.

It seems to me that the sentence I quoted is the crux of the discussion in this thread; people who don't share the attitude will find it hard to understand what you're talking about. Fortunately most posters have been civil about their different takes on the matter.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:14 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
Spend more time on the internet. You can spend days on YouTube.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
I always wonder about people who start threads and then vanish without any further participation. Maybe I should wonder about those of us who participate in such threads.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:12 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
The OP did not disappear - she (ImagineAA) has posts at #37 and #43.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:00 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Your words resonate with me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Not convinced volunteering is going to be much better than working. I once established and ran my own charity. It was more stressful than work, partially because I cared a lot more about it. There was some big time BS going on. It was very upsetting.

I will look into becoming a part time adjunct, I think. I could deal with part time work for sure.
Also PM'd you - I first joined City Data back in 2007 or 2008 when I was looking for a 2nd home somewhere.

Married like you - female. 2 adult children (30, 26) but no grandchildren and none on the horizon. (I wish).

My husband has a job he could scale down to part time, no time, full time - some in his line of work do it till the end. Mine is not as flexible but with the election results, work could get slower for me and I'm not really ready for that yet. Haven't exactly met my goals yet and that scares me.

However, when I found CD, I also found this particular forum and I heard people talking about retirement in a positive way - not some of the negative people I come in contact with - where I live we have a lot of over 55's and there is a range - if you are making big bucks in retirement, granted you will have a better retirement unless you have planned.

But, like "borninsac" said, this past week I felt like climbing the walls. I felt bored and that terrified me.

The planning is a big part of the future and I think part of it for me will be that I have always looked forward to something - the next goal, the next challenge. Maybe slowing down scares me because I won't have as much to look forward to - and I know I have to work on that.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM

284 posts, read 259,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
ONe thing I would add is that it is different not working at all and having an extra day here and there when working. I always found those extra days a little hard. They weren't enough time to really get into a project, so what to do with them? NOw when I think of something I want to do I know I will have the time to really dive in. IF it makes a big mess I can work on it the next day...not have the big mess hanging over my head all week until the next block of time.

I have also become more mindful and able to do one task at a time. AT first that was hard. It was hard not to multi task everything. IT took some adjusting, but I really like really focusing on dinner when I am cooking it, or really watching a movie instead of doing forge other things at the same time.
I for one and am soooo looking forward to a slower pace!! I know a lot of you all can relate to working full time and also having lots of family responsibilities. Many of us are or have been in what I've heard called the "Sandwich" phase, caring for aging parents and our own kids at the same time. Right now I work full time, manage the majority of our household responsibilities, look after my 86 year old mom, and play cheerleader for my daughter in college. I've become the queen of multitasking, cramming as much as I can into the weekends, but there's never enough time. Think I've even developed a case of self inflicted ADHD, because I have so much trouble focusing on one thing before I jump off to another. I have all these half finished weekend projects and of course that just make for more stress, so by Sunday afternoon I would find myself feeling really agitated.

So those 10 hours I now spend commuting and at work can be used to handle my ongoing responsibilities, but you know there might just be a little time left over to devote just to myself and what I want to do that day. I may not know exactly what that looks like yet, but I've got a pretty good picture and I'm ready to give it a go! I do think for us and where we live, if I retired now, we'd get pretty bored, so I definitely get what other people are saying. Knowing that, we decided to really shake it up and are moving to a place where lots of recreational and volunteer activities abound. I'm very ready for this transition!

Old 11-28-2016, 04:02 PM

197 posts, read 160,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Uh, no I don't think "we" would be surprised about being "a manager".

Did you say that with a straight face?

My suggestion is: instead of pre-planning your depression and admitting that you require structure from external sources....you learn how to structure your OWN environment outside of work instead.

I also doubt that there's anything more extraordinary about the difficulties in your life than plenty of other people.

In MY CULTURE, we call this the humble-brag.

I don't even understand the problem it sounds like you're going to be at odds with your husband and it's freaking you out. Because nothing is stopping you from loading up your schedule after retirement from this gig.
In "your culture" do you feel the moral imperative to deride what you don't understand?

OP, I appreciate your insightful honesty about your feelings and I believe that many of us understand what you are experiencing.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:08 PM

1,040 posts, read 889,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I also doubt that there's anything more extraordinary about the difficulties in your life than plenty of other people.
ROFL! Where did you get this info? LOL.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 889,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I always wonder about people who start threads and then vanish without any further participation. Maybe I should wonder about those of us who participate in such threads.
LOL. Review the thread again and you will see my multiple comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement