Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:46 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times

Advertisements

I am preparing to retire early in the next few years. I have a question for those who have successfully transitioned into retirement. How do you make that transition psychologically?

If I have a long weekend with no structure/plans, I am irritated at the wasted time and do not feel relaxed afterwards.

I have a good job and find hard work rewarding in itself. My work is meaningful but I don't get a giant sense of accomplishment from it. I'm not unhappy with my job, but my point is, it's not my whole life or anything. It is just what gives my time structure.

I feel concerned that, despite adding activities to my day, I will get depressed without the high level of demands that are on me right now. I do not tend to have depression, but I feel this situation might get me there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Life after retirement can take on a higher pace, depending on activities and the ability healthwise to do them. Most of my healthy friends are going 24/7.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 AM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I guess the simple answer is: if you're not ready to retire, don't.

For me, the stress, physical, mental and emotional, made it easy.

If 'no structure' bothers you, give yourself structure. Requires self-discipline but assign yourself projects and time limits to do them. May be physical (build the porch before the end of summer) or mental (learn to speak a foreign language fluently within a year).

If you enjoy, need and can do hard work, all the better. There's various charities that help seniors, vets, lower income, and animal shelters with construction/remodeling. Farmers can use help baling hay or harvesting grain. Lots more-just look around.

The best thing about retirement is you can design your life. It actually becomes your life.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:40 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post

If I have a long weekend with no structure/plans, I am irritated at the wasted time and do not feel relaxed afterwards.

I feel concerned that, despite adding activities to my day, I will get depressed without the high level of demands that are on me right now. I do not tend to have depression, but I feel this situation might get me there.

IMO, the vast majority of people are in the same situation when they retire. At least you see the change and risks coming. Most don't. Retirement is a huge change and can lead to stress, unhappiness, depression and worse. Death rates are quite high immediately after beginning retirement.

Retirement was easy and enjoyable for me. I had lots of things I wanted to do, but did not have time when I worked. In addition I planned for my new photography interest and for travel. Immediately before retirement, my wife and I sold the house and moved into a truck camper. For the next 2 years I traveled, hiked and explored, and photographed the national parks and scenic areas of the American West. Eventually we settled again, first when a rental apartment and then in a house we share with my daughter and her family.

Both my wife and I have endless things we do and want to do. Both of us still do photography. We live near a major university with an OLLI program and both of us take lots of courses in photography, arts, literature and other areas. My wife is a poet and is also applying for a grant to be mentored in a book writing project. It seems she will be accepted. I am doing archery at a high level and hope to begin serious competition shooting. I also started expanding my visual arts achievements and have been working on charcoal and pastel drawings. Both of us have work currently on display in local galleries. We have some trips planned including the month of February visiting a relative in Hawaii. Later in the year we will take off again for a major RV trip.

During our working years many of us are immersed in raising kids, our careers and just plain trying to get by financially. Retirement means new opportunities. I recommend rethinking your life and beyond activities and hobbies, consider what you want to learn and accomplish with the rest of your life.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:59 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Maybe you shouldn't retire?

Do you have a wife, husband, significant other? Having the right companion really helps.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:02 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Start the day you retire with an extended vacation, and just transition to the pace. It worked well for me!

Old 11-25-2016, 08:48 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe you shouldn't retire?

Do you have a wife, husband, significant other? Having the right companion really helps.
Did you notice the OP said he did not receive a sense of accomplishment from work?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Did you notice the OP said he did not receive a sense of accomplishment from work?
yes, but he doesn't hate it.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:12 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Some people (not me) continue life at a pretty high pace. I have a friend (almost 80) that manages part of a local charity and spends 1 to 4 hours a day there (and sometimes evening work for board meetings or lobbying for grants), he goes to the gym almost every day, he personally does much of the landscaping work at his house, he is a financial adviser to his extended family, and he takes many international trips every year.

Not all slow down but often channel their efforts differently.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:30 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I feel before retirement I was always forced to go at a faster pace than was natural for me. Now that I am retired, I can set whatever pace I want and that's much slower.

OP, the only way you will be able to determine what pace is right for you is to see how you feel after retirement. If you find you have too much time on your hands and that's not a good thing, find things to do. There are lots of them. The point is, when you're retired, you're in the driver's seat for the most part and can pick and choose as to how to spend your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement