U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:53 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,517,388 times

Advertisements

They will cut a check and attempt recovery. You will get your money and you won't be waiting for them to ''recover'' it.
You can check your direct deposit info on the website. It shows a partial routing number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 07:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 2,342,134 times
Agree with others who advised going to your local SS office. I have found the 1-800 SS people to be unfailingly polite, but they aren't able to deal with issues like this as efficiently as the person in your local office. You may have to wait in the SS office waiting room for some time, depending on how busy they are, so take some reading material.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 2,342,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper johnson View Post
I will go to the local office next week and see what they say. Someone else told me that the routing number for direct deposit is slightly different than what is printed on your check so that might be the issue. However, if so, it was never explained by either the bank or SS and probably not common knowledge.
Routing number is the same as the one printed on the check. I have direct deposit for several different things and always enter the routing number by reading it off a check. The nice thing about many places online is that when you enter the routing number, it will say, "First Bank of Smalltown, NJ", which is reassuring that you at least typed the bank part of the routing number correctly. But always double and triple check the numbers you typed in, because correcting it is a pain, as the OP has unfortunately found out.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:32 PM

3,665 posts, read 2,820,463 times
Both my wife and I both signed up for SS at a SS office to make sure that everything was on the up and up.

You have to wait for about an hour unless you call ahead and make an appointment, which apparently you can do. Remember when you visit the office to wear your PJ's or at least sweats. Only take your wallet and your keys. Anything metal will make them stop you and search you, including a watch. I had to take a tiny little pocket knife and put it out on the curb on the road.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,300,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Both my wife and I both signed up for SS at a SS office to make sure that everything was on the up and up.

You have to wait for about an hour unless you call ahead and make an appointment, which apparently you can do. Remember when you visit the office to wear your PJ's or at least sweats. Only take your wallet and your keys. Anything metal will make them stop you and search you, including a watch. I had to take a tiny little pocket knife and put it out on the curb on the road.
That's what I did too. Brought copies of the bank statements and a check.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:28 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
I don't think this is a common problem but things happen. I am sorry it happened to you but there is no easy fix for this. The best way to handle the problem is to do what the person from the SS office told you to do. Go there with the documents they told you they needed. These mistakes can't be corrected over the phone or online. It's understandable because they deal with fraudulent claims every day. They have to make sure everything gets resolved so the right people get the right benefits.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,130,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Oh.. yes 2016 was the first year they did NOT increase it due to adapting the increase to fit inflation..usually about 1.5-2% .. but Not in 2016..
Baloney.

Here's the history, directly on SSA.gov. You'll note there have been 3 times in recent history, all under 0bama. 2010, 2011, 2016. And the increase this year, 0.3, is the smallest increase since 1975. But at least it's an increase.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/cola/

Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 AM

49 posts, read 36,369 times
I tried to call and make an appt to visit local office but they won't answer the phone. Glad I am not entirely dependent on check as so many are but off to the office I go.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:19 PM

7,110 posts, read 3,476,672 times
Happened to my husband on his first SS check...he somehow entered the wrong account number. He called the 800 number and they told him to call back in a few days as normally the bank returns the transaction because their software looks for a match of the name on the account and the account number. if they don't agree, they reverse the deposit.

He called back a few days later and the agent saw that was what had happened, that the deposit bounced back because it couldn't confirm name and account number.

The agent then put through a new deposit with the right account number. I recall it took maybe a week to resolve with new deposit in our bank account.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Perhaps the lesson in all this is that we can't be too careful in verifying the account number and routing number for any and all automatic deposits, whether it be Social Security or something else, when we are entering that information. It's not the time to be in a hurry or to be distracted by something else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or