U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,127,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper johnson View Post
I tried to call and make an appt to visit local office but they won't answer the phone. Glad I am not entirely dependent on check as so many are but off to the office I go.
Oh, this brings back so many bad memories. They don't answer the phone where I am, either. So you truck down to the office, which is crowded and overflowing with all kinds of people. You finally get your turn and ask for a check to replace the one that didn't arrive. They tell you they don't ever, under any circumstances, issue checks. When you tell them the main 800 phone number told you they do issue checks, the cubicle person says, "Well, we here can't be responsible for what someone somewhere else told you."

Yes, it happened to me. Exactly as I described.

This is your typical government institution. The left hand truly has no clue what the right hand is doing. This is your bloated, inept government at work, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:37 PM

49 posts, read 36,330 times
Spent five hours waiting at the office and they did confirm that there was one digit off (could have been their error). I was told that quite a few did not get checks on time so who really knows. The clerk corrected (or said she did) and that it will show up within a week. I'm not holding my breath...

Old 12-01-2016, 01:56 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper johnson View Post
Spent five hours waiting at the office and they did confirm that there was one digit off (could have been their error). I was told that quite a few did not get checks on time so who really knows. The clerk corrected (or said she did) and that it will show up within a week. I'm not holding my breath...
Thank you for telling us the outcome. I was really curious. I hope this did get straightened out and you receive your check soon.

I had my share of troubles with SS when I first relocated to another city. But I was fortunate in that after one of my hanging on the line for 40 minutes I not only got someone who helped me with my SS problem but also did the adjustments over the phone when I told her I would have had to take two buses traveling for an hour to get to the SS office which is what she had at first told me I needed do.

Not all SS clerks are horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or