Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:18 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Beautiful view,
Too much snow for me.

I don't see much of view. Just a lot of snow and a tree... covered in snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I just re-looked at Cookeville, TN, which is where I am looking for my move. They have a high quality medical center. Haven't checked out the new patient rules & will do that when I visit. I'll also check at the Chamber of Commerce & the senior center for information.

Looking at the photos posted on the Cookeville forum made me homesick for a place I've never seen.
Cookeville is a nice little college town. There is not a lot in Cookeville proper, but if you're used to a small town, it's probably fine. It's also within a little over an hour to Nashville if you need a bigger city. It's certainly a lot less isolated than Johnson City is.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:39 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Cookeville is a nice little college town. There is not a lot in Cookeville proper, but if you're used to a small town, it's probably fine. It's also within a little over an hour to Nashville if you need a bigger city. It's certainly a lot less isolated than Johnson City is.
That is why Coookeville fills the bill for us. Gives us the small town vibe that we want while at the same time being large enough to give us pretty much everything else that we want/need.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:33 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
That is why Coookeville fills the bill for us. Gives us the small town vibe that we want while at the same time being large enough to give us pretty much everything else that we want/need.
Same here. I was first looking at Johnson City but saw photos of Cookeville & fell in love. It's also a lot closer to my brother & his family in Nashville.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:37 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
City to city, I think Johnson City is a better town. I haven't spent as much time in Cookeville and went to college in Johnson City, so maybe I'm biased, but I think JC has a lot more in the way of shopping and other amenities in town.

With that said, JC is 2.5 hours to Charlotte, 2 hours to Knoxville, and 2 hours to Greenville, SC. With the exception of Charlotte, neither are as big as Nashville, and TN is also a very low tax state. I'm from this area, but lived for most of the past three years in Indianapolis. Moving back to east TN has been a big adjustment, as a lot of shopping, dining, events, etc., are not available at all within reasonable driving distance here. Cookeville is much closer for many things.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:12 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I was set on Johnson City, then read where the healthcare is lacking. So I looked at Asheville, NC as the healthcare is very good there. However it is much more expensive. But today I had one of those epiphany things. Asheville is only an hour away, there is no reason why we can't live in JC and for any serious medical issues go an hour to Asheville.

That was one of the draws I had to Johnson City. Unlike Roanoke, VA and several other possibilities JC is not isolated IMO. Within an hour we can get to Asheville or any of the other tri-cities. Don't really need big city things, I have already seen the Stones thanks, but if we did Knoxville is an option. Cookesville is too far away and too hot for us.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Because this is my view from the kitchen window.
Off-piste heaven. What's the snow like? Is it heavy or more toward powder?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Isn't Mt. Airy outside Philly? Or North Carolina somewhere? Far from powder country, I think.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was set on Johnson City, then read where the healthcare is lacking. So I looked at Asheville, NC as the healthcare is very good there. However it is much more expensive. But today I had one of those epiphany things. Asheville is only an hour away, there is no reason why we can't live in JC and for any serious medical issues go an hour to Asheville.

That was one of the draws I had to Johnson City. Unlike Roanoke, VA and several other possibilities JC is not isolated IMO. Within an hour we can get to Asheville or any of the other tri-cities. Don't really need big city things, I have already seen the Stones thanks, but if we did Knoxville is an option. Cookesville is too far away and too hot for us.
How is that drive in the winter?

Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Isn't Mt. Airy outside Philly? Or North Carolina somewhere? Far from powder country, I think.
Mt. Airy is on the northern edge of North Carolina, near the Virginia line. It's Andy Griffith's home town and the inspiration for Mayberry. There's a Pilot Mountain nearby, which was probably the inspiration for Mount Pilot on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement