Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:54 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,276,349 times

Advertisements

If DH and I move to Las Vegas for retirement, we probably would need to escape to cooler climates for the summer months. Last year we tried (escaping from Dallas) the summer citizen program at USU in Logan, UT. It was ok, but we did not like the housing and want a place we could bring a dog. So, thinking perhaps we could buy a condo somewhere North for the summer months. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 05:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times
Surprised you never got a response
The couple who have the house behind oursin FL go to Maine for the summer
Not sure what their living arrangements are...
And we know people in Dallas and Austin who go to Colorado mountains and to Ruidoso/ Cloudcroft in NM respectively...

Old 12-07-2016, 05:53 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,346,547 times
We exist between Cape Cod and Florida.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:23 AM

10,336 posts, read 7,926,344 times
You might get more suggestions if you gave us a bit more info to work with. How far from Las Vegas are you willing to travel to get to your summer place? Do you want to be by a particular type of scenery (mountains, ocean, forests, etc)? Are you looking for something in the country, or do you want an urban experience? Right now, all I can suggest is "buy something north of Interstate 90" which isn't very helpful.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:27 PM

7,750 posts, read 6,323,455 times
Get an RV and travel summers?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,732,068 times
What climate / area do you desire?
What is your pricepoint?
Do you desire to sublease while you are gone?
Will you fly or drive? (We keep CHEAP cars at our summer and winter homes and fly for $100) we only insure them when driving.
Do you like crowds / people / services at your destination? (ski areas can be VERY quiet in off season). EXCEPT Jackson Hole!!!

If you like Northern UTAH, did you check out Bear Lake, or nearby Hot Lava Springs, ID, or Star Valley WY?

If you like Mtns, then get a place near ski areas (for ez sublease / stable values)
If coastal, PNW is grand during summer and has many 'storm seekers' renting during winter. (Income tax free WA, WY, SD, NH would be a good match for a NV domicile, no additional state taxes on rents / income / ...)

I like to keep my 'sunbird' locations (and home) near International airport (nice and smaller Airports with good services, cheap - direct flights and EZ access) SLC will work!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,276,349 times
Best place for us would be a condo during the summer months somewhere quite cool. We love to hike and we love to be in walkable areas to shops/restaurants. Near airport; we would likely fly and keep a car there. Budget approx max $250K, less would be better. No RV's for us; my DH has a bit of a road rage problem at times and it makes too much driving anxiety producing for me.

We will be in Las Vegas next week looking for a house to lease to try out for a year. But I am afraid the summers will be too unbearable for us.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times
We went to Lad Vegas one yr in the fall and spent the weekend in Zion
Stayed at resort in the river there --notat the park hotel itself
Was a great trip
You love hiking and outdoor activities
Consider a condo in the area there
It is high enough that the summers are likely pretty nice

It snowed the time we went--early--and caught us going over the mountains
Was little scary--no chains on car we were in but was heavy full sz rental

It is close to Vegas
McCarren airport has flights all over which is strong point in its favor
Colorado mts would be cooler
Idaho
East coast seems long way to go for just cool summers

Old 12-09-2016, 10:46 AM

10,336 posts, read 7,926,344 times
Given your preferences (especially the fact that you'd like to fly between your summer and winter homes), I'd start by looking up the airports in Idaho, western Montana, western Wyoming, Colorado, northern Utah, northern Arizona, and northern New Mexico and then start researching the associated towns and surrounding areas. See which (if any) tickle your fancy! (I'm partial to Bozeman, MT myself.)

Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,915,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We went to Lad Vegas one yr in the fall and spent the weekend in Zion
Stayed at resort in the river there --notat the park hotel itself
Was a great trip
You love hiking and outdoor activities
Consider a condo in the area there
It is high enough that the summers are likely pretty nice

It snowed the time we went--early--and caught us going over the mountains
Was little scary--no chains on car we were in but was heavy full sz rental

It is close to Vegas
McCarren airport has flights all over which is strong point in its favor
Colorado mts would be cooler
Idaho
East coast seems long way to go for just cool summers

You definitely won't find any cool summers on the East coast either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement