U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 PM

17,371 posts, read 21,218,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You sure you aren't missing a zero on each????? I highly doubt any of these houses are decent or in a decent area. My nephew just sold his starter house in the KC burbs - $180K.
Google ReeceNichols.com, one of the suggested RE sites for homes in KC, and put in parameters of $30k-$60k. Many of these homes are located in the older districts adjacent to downtown, with those huge porches they had back then, and I firmly believe inner city neighborhoods are the best long-term investments, as more and more people move back to the city, and gentrify these old neighborhoods. I have a Mexican handyman that's been renting a room from me for 15 years, and he'd be following me over there, and he'd just love to tackle a remodel of one of these houses!

You may have to wait awhile and use lots of patience. It worked for me when I bought an inner city home in Phoenix, as 6 months later the whole area I lived was declared an historic district, and prices took off! I've never lived in a suburb, and have no desire to do so!

I opened up a thread on the KC forum, and there's been lots of feedback, and my greatest hesitation is not the cold, the snow, but how I'd adjust to higher humidity levels in the summer and insects. You get so spoiled here, living 20 years with the absence of mosquito's, gnats, and even flies are rare, which only appear in, in small numbers, in the Spring. Summer time, they're in cemeteries! Too dry here with 4 inches of precip. a year!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-02-2016 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:21 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
I can easily make a decision but then I have a long obligatory period of procrastination. By the time I'm ready to act I can't remember what the decision was.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
Yeah, like nap now or go to bed early? Mind boggling! Oh, the pressure!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:31 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
I highly doubt any of these houses are decent or in a decent area.
Nope... those are real numbers in a LOT of places.
But those places won't have the hot job market that NorCal has.
At retirement... that isn't so important. Is it?

Granted any specific house on any specific block at the lowest end of that scale
is likely to be problematic in one way or another ... but as regards the houses themselves
few will need more than the ~$20,000 or so in updating that any older home needs.

Shop carefully and it's not hard to keep it all at under $100,000.
The irony is that RENT rates in these areas are a bit high (relative to price).

Old 12-02-2016, 09:23 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
Quote:
You sure you aren't missing a zero on each????? I highly doubt any of these houses are decent or in a decent area. My nephew just sold his starter house in the KC burbs - $180K.
My neice just bought a really nice 3b-3b house on a good-sized lot in Spartansburg, SC (near the medical center for her cancer) for $29K. Not missing any zeroes.

Housing really is stupid expen$ive in California. That's offset by Prop 13 limits on property taxes so we don't need to worry about that costing us our houses.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:34 AM

17,371 posts, read 21,218,356 times
I showed my Mexican handyman roommate the lowest price house on Reecenichols.com this morning, at $10k, which needs a total overhaul, and he lit up like a Xmas Tree! To him, to rehab something like that would put a constant smile on his face. Knowing him for 15 years, typical reaction:

"That wouldn't be a lot work, it really only needs this and that and this and that!"

But knowing him, his history, like: I should finish this project in 2 weeks, and? 2 weeks goes to 3, to 4, sometimes 5. At 61, he's slowing down.

So, no thanks! Living in a reconstruction zone for 2 years or more!

But moving on up, at $30k you can find a place that only needs a partial rehab. A far better idea!

I also got on Long Realty's Tucson site, and every time I look. the prices outpace the price rises in Las Vegas! And, stubbornly, I'll only go cash for cash!

Old 12-02-2016, 09:53 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,241,974 times
I suggest OP run the addresses of these homes on this website:

https://spotcrime.com/mo/kansas+city

Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
Yes, that's always the negative with these cheap homes, isn't it?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM

3,341 posts, read 3,044,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Google ReeceNichols.com, one of the suggested RE sites for homes in KC, and put in parameters of $30k-$60k. Many of these homes are located in the older districts adjacent to downtown, with those huge porches they had back then, and I firmly believe inner city neighborhoods are the best long-term investments, as more and more people move back to the city, and gentrify these old neighborhoods.
I did look at it. Most of these are actually not in Kansas City. Many of them are in places like Topeka which is 50 or 60 miles away.

And no, I would never ever move back there. Born and raised in Kansas and got out.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM

3,341 posts, read 3,044,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
My neice just bought a really nice 3b-3b house on a good-sized lot in Spartansburg, SC (near the medical center for her cancer) for $29K. Not missing any zeroes.

Housing really is stupid expen$ive in California. That's offset by Prop 13 limits on property taxes so we don't need to worry about that costing us our houses.
He was talking about KC not South Carolina. I am well aware that there are many places in the country where the houses are cheap. Go to any small town in the South or Midwest. And i no longer live in NorCal (at least for now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or