U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:55 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
OH yeah that too.Although I'd leave the ugly out.
People live for when the chiefs and Royals are in town. Oh and if you went to MU or KU those games also.
But as far as national parks close, no not like Vegas. Or interesting things to do, not in great numbers.

jrkliny - did you live in Prairie Village?
Yes. I had an old Cape remodeled by the owner. It was one of the few houses in the neighborhood without a basement. The basement issue was massive. Basements had been built with cinder block walls that were being pushed inwards. Lots of houses were jacked up to totally rebuild the basements with poured concrete. Others had buttresses and other makeshift repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,473,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have lived in both places and would agree with the people in Portland. Seven years in Cleveland was way, way, way too long.
I was raised in NE Ohio and do miss the way it was then. Today, I'm not sure I would feel safe in many areas which is why I moved on after the Cleveland riots. Portland does have its share of rain and flooding but not so much snow. I have only visited Portland once and it does seem like a wonderful place but I just can't find my Grandma's pierogi there. For me, the humid SE and hot S were not something I wanted to deal with in my old age, which makes me a coast hugger.

Moving in retirement is something to carefully consider as it was more stressful and took longer than I expected. If someone doesn't have indecision or worry, at times, they don't understand the impact of what they are doing but don't let it paralyze you into inaction.

Remember that old song, Simple Gifts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWTDgc96bg8

Old 12-03-2016, 05:50 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sometimes cheap homes have problems that eventually are no longer a problem...

At one time homes near the docks were very undesirable... a friend's father bought one because it was all that he could afford... today the family is quite well off because the property is paid for and worth a small fortune because all around the piers have been redeveloped with shops, restaurants... the old industrial waterfront has multimillion dollar yachts...

Might not make for a good move for someone retired... but buying at the bottom of an up and coming market is always a smart move.
That's very true regarding Portland, OR. Neighborhoods that were once considered undesirable changed almost overnight to trendy. Anyone who bought a house during the time those areas not being sought after made out like a bandit in a fairly short period of time.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's very true regarding Portland, OR. Neighborhoods that were once considered undesirable changed almost overnight to trendy. Anyone who bought a house during the time those areas not being sought after made out like a bandit in a fairly short period of time.
Huge HAUL as long as they were LEAVING Portland. Staying mean paying too much for housing (rent or ownership)

a HUGE windfall for the property tax man !! but he never gets enough...

Old 12-04-2016, 05:00 AM

1,321 posts, read 835,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
... and my greatest hesitation is not the cold, the snow, but how I'd adjust to higher humidity levels in the summer and insects. You get so spoiled here, living 20 years with the absence of mosquito's, gnats, and even flies are rare, which only appear in, in small numbers, in the Spring. Summer time, they're in cemeteries! Too dry here with 4 inches of precip. a year!
I've only seen you mention big cities: Tuscon, Phoenix, Vegas, and KC. Have you every considered looking at a smaller city? Thought I should mention Sierra Vista which is about an hour southeast from Tuscon and has quite a few big box stores with little to no big city traffic. It is cooler than Tuscon, but the snowfall here is light and gone within a few hours.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oakland, San Francisco and Berkeley all have similar stories.

Old empty warehouse space that is redeveloped into Live-Work space meeting all modern codes but still has that rough edge...

I know I guy that bought several and is not set for life... they had been vacant for years... by the time he had finished they units created with were many times his best projections.

Another friend bought property in Portland's Pearl District...

Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
I would have to say my retirement decision didn't bother me, other than I knew financially I would be a lot poorer than I would have liked. Life happened and there was no way to make changes. I guess I could have looked harder for a rich man, but I must not have been that interested.

Two decisions I made before retirement were the worst. The first was marrying the man I married and staying with him for 21 years.

The second was leaving my Carrier job in Syracuse and going to a non-existent Carrier job in TX.

Thus the finance problem at retirement time.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:56 AM

My regret would be giving up being self employed after 10 years...

I received an unsolicited job offer to step in as Engineering Director for a Hospital... with all corporate perks that self-employed people always marvel...

Over the years the perks have all but disappeared with the 401k match being the first casualty and then it was 100% employer paid family Health Insurance, profit sharing, bonus, etc...

Thankfully I kept most of my Real Estate Holdings which was the smartest thing financially... without it... and no pension/401k match things would be much different...

The downside is Residential Real Estate is still very much a job... not at all like getting a pension check deposit each month.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland, San Francisco and Berkeley all have similar stories.

Old empty warehouse space that is redeveloped into Live-Work space meeting all modern codes but still has that rough edge...

I know I guy that bought several and is not set for life... they had been vacant for years... by the time he had finished they units created with were many times his best projections.

Another friend bought property in Portland's Pearl District...

Is he a millionaire now? I remember when that area was full of old warehouses, most empty and some really ramshackle houses.

Now of course it's ritzy, rich condos and upscale shops.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:06 AM

He has done amazing... and amazing is not a word I use.

Grew up in Pleasanton CA and dropped out of school to work Salmon in Alaska... did that for a couple of years and had his fill... moved to Portland and was looking for something cheap... bought an old warehouse and the rest is History...

Wells Fargo offered him a job... which is something no one that knew him would ever believed and he made the transition... real estate and managing the bank's Portland interests have made him well off.

Still remember his mother was quite upset about him sinking his life savings into a decrepit old warehouse... he even lived there for a time and was able to pay the bills renting storage space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or