U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:55 PM

134 posts, read 207,466 times

Advertisements

Great input , thank you everyone. I am learning a lot.

Maybe I am not cut out for a hearing aid. My twin brother has a hearing aid ..lives in Europe and loves his
Hearing Aid, has the same hearing issues I have .
I think I will asked for a new test, I read that more than 40% of Hearing Aids are not correctly calibrated.
Maybe that will help.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:06 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,763,062 times
They will take them back after 60 days or maybe even 90 and the 2 year guarantee is wonderful. New puppy ate one within 4 months and I accidently threw one away . They should work with you. They sell different kinds. Insist on being happy. Too expensive to eat.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 PM

15,233 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Can't you try working with a different person to see if they are more knowledgeable? If that doesn't work try a different brand or model.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:48 AM

134 posts, read 207,466 times
Yes, I like to stay with Costco if at all possible. However, I have my doubts about his competence. He is a nice enough guy but prefers to talk about other things and not my hearing aid issues. When I quoted the instruction booklet that came with the aid he states: " most of the stuff in there you do not need to know".
He recommended using alcohol wipes to clean the aid as all his clients do, I read NOT to use alcohol.

Enough....thanks so much for all your help.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 141 times
I have had their hearing aids for 3 years and I also bought the TV device so that the TV would go directly to my ears. It's perfect and works perfectly and it's even stereo. So now I hear the TV with no trouble whatsoever. I can even mute the TV and my wife doesn't have to hear it but I still hear it in my hearing aids. That to me is worth it all. I suggest you get a TV device that pairs your ears to the TV it's not very expensive at all but well worth the small price to hear every word on the TV.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM

7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
OP, are you using closed captioning on the TV while wearing your aids? That should help you retrain your brain into correctly interpreting sounds from the TV.

I use the captioning while wearing mine. It really helps me.

Of course, if you've been dispensed with aids that aren't appropriate for your type of hearing loss, that's a separate and more troubling issue.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:24 AM

34 posts, read 9,332 times
I have trouble distinguishing speech too. My loss, like most older peoples' is in the high frequencies. I have the Costco Resound with bluetooth. Even WITH the hearing aids I have to use the app on my phone to turn on "speech boost" to hear speech clearly.

I second the person upthread who suggests turning on closed caption on the tv when available. That helps me too, especially with accents like British.

Don't give up. Your condition cannot be so unique that nothing will work. It's worth it to persist but if I were you I would try to change up everything so you don't have to keep going back - maybe a new technician and a new brand of aids. The technician could be competent but not the right "fit" for you as far as listening to you.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:41 AM

1,169 posts, read 971,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatlamp View Post
I have trouble distinguishing speech too. My loss, like most older peoples' is in the high frequencies. I have the Costco Resound with bluetooth. Even WITH the hearing aids I have to use the app on my phone to turn on "speech boost" to hear speech clearly.

I second the person upthread who suggests turning on closed caption on the tv when available. That helps me too, especially with accents like British.

Don't give up. Your condition cannot be so unique that nothing will work. It's worth it to persist but if I were you I would try to change up everything so you don't have to keep going back - maybe a new technician and a new brand of aids. The technician could be competent but not the right "fit" for you as far as listening to you.

What type of phone do you have? I don't see an option for "speech boost" on my Android when I use the app.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,014,518 times
I got mine from the VA and go back once in a while for adjustments. I don't believe they will ever be the same as good natural hearing. The folks at the VA are very nice.

If I am sitting at my desk (at home, I'm retired) I use my speaker phone, which works very better.
I never get calls on my cell phone, don't want them.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM

8,495 posts, read 12,457,684 times
Here's the problem with all behind the ear hearing aid.....they wont help when on the phone as the mic is behind the ear and not in the ear canal.

I recently wondered why my older Resound HA sounded better when I also had headphone's on than my new KS 8.0. The Resound was in my ear canal so the speakers was getting the sound directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or