U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 06:54 AM

34 posts, read 9,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
What type of phone do you have? I don't see an option for "speech boost" on my Android when I use the app.
I have an iPhone. The technician lit up when she saw it and recommended the ReSound Forte because it has bluetooth and works well with the iPhone. When the phone rings the hearing aids automatically connect via bluetooth and the call is fine. Anything playing on the phone like podcasts also goes thru bluetooth. The rest of the time the aids are not on bluetooth. They are just listening to ambient sound. I do not have a bluetooth connection to my tv, just listen via the aids normally. The ReSound app lets you adjust some normal listening parameters like the Speech Boost.

I don't know if this setup works with Android. Sorry if I led you astray but I still hope you won't give up out of frustration. Even with having to get used to the aids I am glad that I got them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM

1,163 posts, read 970,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatlamp View Post
I have an iPhone. The technician lit up when she saw it and recommended the ReSound Forte because it has bluetooth and works well with the iPhone. When the phone rings the hearing aids automatically connect via bluetooth and the call is fine. Anything playing on the phone like podcasts also goes thru bluetooth. The rest of the time the aids are not on bluetooth. They are just listening to ambient sound. I do not have a bluetooth connection to my tv, just listen via the aids normally. The ReSound app lets you adjust some normal listening parameters like the Speech Boost.

I don't know if this setup works with Android. Sorry if I led you astray but I still hope you won't give up out of frustration. Even with having to get used to the aids I am glad that I got them.

Thank you! Perhaps the app for the ReSound Forte has more features than the app for the Kirkland 8, then. Still not sure if iOs would give me more features as well. I still need to have a good chat with the staff at Costco; perhaps they need to do some readjustments. Unfortunately, the certified hearing aide staff at my local Costco aren't particularly pleasant, and I find them less than professional. I think they are overwhelmed there.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 AM

34 posts, read 9,268 times
<< at my local Costco >>

Isn't that the one that's 2 hours away? You poor thing. I hate going to mine and it's only 20 minutes away. I have only had to go once since the followup appointment, for a free cleaning.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,478,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatlamp View Post
I have trouble distinguishing speech too. My loss, like most older peoples' is in the high frequencies. I have the Costco Resound with bluetooth. Even WITH the hearing aids I have to use the app on my phone to turn on "speech boost" to hear speech clearly.

I second the person upthread who suggests turning on closed caption on the tv when available. That helps me too, especially with accents like British.

Don't give up. Your condition cannot be so unique that nothing will work. It's worth it to persist but if I were you I would try to change up everything so you don't have to keep going back - maybe a new technician and a new brand of aids. The technician could be competent but not the right "fit" for you as far as listening to you.
So much wisdom packed in this post! I have worn HAs for the last 25 years or so. My loss is in the higher frequencies too, and unfortunately is getting worse. Without my hearing aids, I have trouble distinguishing normal speech now. When I pop my HAs back in, the difference is amazing!

Having said that, HAs are not perfect. I usually take one HA out when I am on the phone, even though there is a phone setting. I use my speaker phone for calls at work, but generally have to turn the volume up. I find that what works best is a headset. In some situations, it is just harder to hear. Meetings can be that way, where many people are speaking. Some people are simply more difficult to hear.

The secret is to mitigate your hearing loss (thats what aids are doing after all). You will never restore your hearing back to normal. I live and breathe closed captions (British accents are hard for me too). In group settings, I try to be as close to the front as possible, or in the center of the conversation, so Im in closer proximity to ALL speakers. Im not afraid to ask people to repeat themselves, and I do a LOT of contextual listening.

See if you can get the technician to increase the volume on your aids. You may just need a little more juice. Just realize that as the volume is increased sound could become more distorted l (or just uncomfortable to hear). Good luck getting something that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or