U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:21 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times

Advertisements

It also depends on your retirement location. Where I live in FL, everything I need -- stores, doctors, restaurants, most social activities and the beach for peaceful sunsets -- is within a few miles. And I don't do much driving outside the area for a couple reasons: Mainly, the drivers in FL are crazy. There are sooo many accidents on the interstates, drunken drivers, wrong-way drivers. In the three years I've lived here, I've almost gotten hit on a two-lane road by a wrong-way driver, as well as almost been rammed by a person in a car chase backing up at high speed into my lane of traffic. Many of my neighbors have had their cars hit in parking lots or rear-ended. So, there's that. Also, due to back problems, I just can't take long-distance driving anymore.

So, take Silibran's advice and do it while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It also depends on your retirement location. Where I live in FL, everything I need -- stores, doctors, restaurants, most social activities and the beach for peaceful sunsets -- is within a few miles. And I don't do much driving outside the area for a couple reasons: Mainly, the drivers in FL are crazy. There are sooo many accidents on the interstates, drunken drivers, wrong-way drivers. In the three years I've lived here, I've almost gotten hit on a two-lane road by a wrong-way driver, as well as almost been rammed by a person in a car chase backing up at high speed into my lane of traffic. Many of my neighbors have had their cars hit in parking lots or rear-ended. So, there's that. Also, due to back problems, I just can't take long-distance driving anymore.

So, take Silibran's advice and do it while you can.
I feel the same way. What you describe has really put a damper on my desire to drive here. I've lived in many parts of this world and this country. FLorida has been the worse in regards to driving. I don't like living this way, and would
like to drive around the state more. I just feel very unsafe doing it here. So the car is getting a rest in Florida. I'm tying to find a way to only live in Fla a few months a year. The driving here is definitely a part of my decision to so.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
We are still 3-4 years from retiring but in anticipation have two newer vehicles that will soon be paid off. Then, in addition to the paid off 4x4 truck with 70k miles, we will have two with under $50k. I also plan to buy a classic and do another restoration, since I will have time. Currently my wife woks 1/2 mile away and I only drive 6 miles to the transit center and take a bus. After retiring we expect to drive more. Not only will we take a lot of road trips, but will be downsizing to a less expensive area, so more driving to visit the kids and grandkids.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 AM

13,200 posts, read 6,308,074 times
Yes, it did. We used to commute at least 45-50 miles one way. Now the most we do is 10 miles a week.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:29 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,168,437 times
My husband's commute was 200 miles a day round trip. Now that he is retired he does not drive at all. He has Parkinson's and feels he cannot drive safely so he gave it up. I also gave it up, I have other medical problems.
My son and daughter in law drive us to Dr. visits etc. and most all our needs are close by so they drive maybe 20 miles a day at most.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:31 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,894,156 times
Yes, only one car and not having 2 daily commutes!

Old 12-03-2016, 04:33 PM

8,391 posts, read 9,134,430 times
We live 9 miles from town. I used to commute to work-11 miles each way. Now I find myself sometimes going to town twice a day. Sometimes 3X. So my driving has increased a bit.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I feel the same way. What you describe has really put a damper on my desire to drive here. I've lived in many parts of this world and this country. FLorida has been the worse in regards to driving. I don't like living this way, and would
like to drive around the state more. I just feel very unsafe doing it here. So the car is getting a rest in Florida. I'm tying to find a way to only live in Fla a few months a year. The driving here is definitely a part of my decision to so.
Glad to hear I'm not just being a scaredy-cat in my old age. Seriously, up North I drove anywhere, in the city, to the shore, to the mountains, never a problem even if I was by myself. I was telling a friend up North that I wasn't going to a weekly dance class up in Tampa because it was almost an hour away. She was shocked because back home in the city metro area, we'd routinely drive 45 mins.-1 hour. I told her it is just too scary down here. Remember the family on vacation to Disney a couple months ago who got killed on I-4? Most dangerous interstate in the U.S. And like I said, staying off the interstates can be just as dangerous.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:02 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
We went from 3 cars to 1 in retirement. Bought a new car Dec. 2014....currently after 2 years, we put 9,000 miles on it compared to my work commute average of 25K a year and my partner's business (construction) mileage of 40K a year.

Since retirement we travel incessantly....but not by car. We fly to Europe 2x or 3x a year; and we get away to Mexico or Guatemala every few months. We fill in with flights to cities in US for mostly foodie adventures, or to visit friends/family. We average 40K air miles a year.

We live in a very walkable city and walk nightly to dinner at indy restaurants; we walk from our home along the beach daily, it's a 2 mile RT. Usually we fit in a round of golf or a bike ride most afternoons.

So, yes our total mileage is UP UP UP versus our working days. But very little of it is driving.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:24 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
I never did drive much. The most I ever put on a car was 55,000. It took 9 years.

I have a 5 mile rule. I will not live anywhere where my usual trips for shopping, entertainment, and when I worked was more than 5 miles. I will not waste my life getting there. My neighbors think I am always on the go since they see me coming and going so often but it is a mile or 2 for most trips. My 2010 has 17,000 miles on it. The guys that changed the oil last week were shocked at my odometer reading. Oil change once a year according to the manufacturer since it is the time and not mileage.

Long trip? Rent a car. Airport? Call the van or town car. I think the longest trip in the last 5 years in my car was 18 miles. Millions of people live in a 18 mile radius of me so it's not like I don't have a variety of places to go within a short distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or