Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM

813 posts, read 1,131,088 times

Advertisements

If I can't walk or bus, I Uber which typically cost's a few bucks each way. In country trips, we hire a Van and driver International trips I rent a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 03:02 PM

6,346 posts, read 7,722,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm always asked by the insurance company, how many miles I will drive in a year. Seems like the premium goes up and up, if I say more than 7500 miles. How do you work it with your?. Where you put so many miles on. Do you just say you don't know how many miles will be driven?
Same system where I live, (SoCal). Needless to say, I pay a lot for auto insurance. But, I also have a clean record. Last moving violation must have been 20-25 years ago - maybe, can't recollect.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-02-2016, 03:36 PM

9,355 posts, read 14,014,289 times
My driving has probably doubled. I live in a pretty area and love seeing more and more of it.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:27 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,871,119 times
In general I find that I have more time to go places and do things since retirement. But I had a fairly short commute when working full time, so that affects the comparison. I haven't done as many over-night road trips as I thought I would, but I just did one up to the wine country in Northern California - about a 6 hour drive each way. Was gone three days and two nights and enjoyed visiting a cousin, a high school friend, and the Jack London State Historical Park.

My volunteer commuting is about the same weekly mileage as my full time work commuting used to be - the former is only three days a week versus five when full time, but the distances are somewhat greater.

The received wisdom that people save driving expenses when they retire does not apply to me. Whether that is so depends on a number of variables including whether one paid for parking at work (I did not) and of course the distance of the commute (mine was a short 13 miles daily round trip).

Old 12-02-2016, 05:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,552,752 times
We have purchased three new vehicles since we retired in 2014. The cumulative total for the three is just under 55,000 miles. We put over 15,000 miles on other vehicles between the time we retired and when we sold them. So, over 70,000 miles since we retired in June 2014.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:25 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,200,363 times
I am well past normal retirement age.I live in a resort area and work in a seasonal hotel driving back and forth to work. During the off season I may not move the car for days. My dogs love it as we may walk for hours,

Old 12-02-2016, 07:38 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,176,369 times
I used to drive about 18k miles before retirement and drive more in retirement as I occasionally drive cross country.

I am driving my "daily driver" less as I have access to very inexpensive car rentals which I utilize on trips out of the county.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
When I am in USA (seldom) My driving increased a LOT, (my 'career' commute was short), retired... it is nothing to head off on a 2500 mile jaunt.

I have many more vehicles and unique purposes for them. (from hauling around my bulldozer, to mini RV, and plenty of evil 50mpg WVO burning VW's) I am making 3 more cars at the moment. I plan to take one to Europe, one to Australia and use for a season, then sell as collector car (Very hot market for USA vintage muscle cars and bikes overseas).

I locate my MH to a cheap airport hub, and fly back and forth and elsewhere.

I love to drive (child of a truckdriver) and I love to fly. I just like to GO!

Shuttling new Semi trucks, fire trucks and school buses would be a good PT job for me. 800 mile / day is a pretty typical trip. (my 'evil' car can go 1200 miles between fills)

I 'fly-drive' quite often, and even rent cars at home, cuz they are so CHEAP ($9.95 / day (Enterprise) , sometimes less on Hotwire) I got a $5.95/ day car out of Denver Airport, so went to Indiana while I was so close. Event at Studebaker Museum

Old 12-02-2016, 09:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
I drive much less than I used to, because I had pretty long commute to work. So did DH. So, our daily driving is definitely lessened. I also suggested that DH tell our insurer that we no longer worked, so we could get a discount on our car insurance.

If you have a short commute now, then your driving might not change that much. Or, perhaps if you do a lot of car travel, it might increase.

We did buy a car for touring a few years ago. We do car travel, but not as much as I wished we had done earlier in our retirement. Do travel as much as you can afford early on, before you get too old to enjoy doing it.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:52 AM

196 posts, read 208,257 times
Well, OP, we also have a RAV4, but we drive much less now that we're retired. We bought it new in 2007 and it just turned 69,000 miles. We've put absolutely nothing into it except tires, brakes, and one battery. I wouldn't even purchase an extended warranty, if I were you. And this is my 6th Toyota, so I know whereof I speak.

We now drive only about 3K miles/year, mostly because we live downtown. I've driven across the country numerous times, when younger, and, guess what? I'll choose a flight any day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement