U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,484,350 times

Advertisements

I guess this query is targeted to those retirees who are more inquisitive, spontaneous, and adventurous; and like to get out there and do 'stuff'.

I purchased my new car fourteen months ago and currently have 35,000 miles on the odometer. That's a lot of miles in just one year, but historically typical for me. I like going places, in addition to commuting to my daily mortgage-paying employment. I only commute solo about half the time and vanpool the other half. Included in this first year's mileage are a winter and a summer trip from SoCal to NID, and back.

I have 1,000 miles left on the manufacturer's new-car warranty and if I elect to do so, need to purchase a manufacturer extended warranty within that 1,000 remaining miles. I retire in almost exactly three months and will be moving to a new area, an area known for it's outdoor recreational opportunities. I expect to have an 'active' retirement, especially in the first few years. Lots of exploring and discovering that new area. Don't really see myself as a 'stay at home' retiree.

Assuming you are now retired, my question is . . .

Has your driving habits changed significantly now that you are retired? Or, do you find yourself driving pretty much the same annual mileage as before you retired?

- - -

Additional background: New car is a Toyota Rav4. Toyotas are known for their mechanical reliability, but these days, there are so much electronics in them that they are not really 'owner friendly' concerning repairs. Extended warranties available are for 5, 6, 7, and 8 years and from 75k, 100k, and 125k miles; prices differ with flavor purchased. It looks like the sweet spot for me, based on my historical driving habits, might be the 5yr/125k version for $850.00. That would give me 25k miles a year. These warranties are through Toyota, not a 3rd-party provider. I tend to keep my autos until the 'wheels fall off'. Fully expect to do some 'car camping' with this one.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:23 PM

71,820 posts, read 71,919,037 times
i am driving more miles than ever being retired .

Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 PM

71,820 posts, read 71,919,037 times
i bought the chrysler extended warranty when i bought my 2012 sahara . i took the 100k one rather than lifetime . the 100k was transferable , the lifetime isn't . we will likely get something new next year .

the dealer wanted a lot of money for the extended warranty . i ended up buying it from an on line dealer for 600 bucks less . i used about 1/2 of what i paid at this point . but those electronics are brutal if they go . the radio/nav is 1800 books to replace .

Old 12-02-2016, 01:36 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,171,427 times
Yes, it's Up 48%

Old 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM

34,708 posts, read 33,729,968 times
My mileage has significantly decreased because, besides no longer commuting 5 days a week - 32 miles a day, when I retired and relocated I moved to a place where almost all of my regular activities are within a 3 mile radius of where I live. In fact, what I do most is around the corner from where I live and what I do second most is at the end of my long street.

Once or twice a year I do an out of state, usually 2 week, road trip where I drive significantly every day while I am away since wherever I'm going, I move around that state daily.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:52 PM

3,701 posts, read 1,879,781 times
We've downsized to just one vehicle (CRV) and I imagine we will drive very little when I retire.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,355,967 times
I drive much less! But in my working world, my commute was 100 miles a day. There are months when we make it on 1 tank of fuel!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:11 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,920,160 times
I drive a lot less. I moved to a place where everything I want is a few minutes away. There are day trips that would be further but not necessarily interested in them unless I have someone to go with. I did drive quite a bit exploring when I first got here. Now I'm happy to stay home and not do as much. It helps the budget too.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 PM

6,974 posts, read 12,504,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I guess this query is targeted to those retirees who are more inquisitive, spontaneous, and adventurous; and like to get out there and do 'stuff'.

I purchased my new car fourteen months ago and currently have 35,000 miles on the odometer. That's a lot of miles in just one year, but historically typical for me. I like going places, in addition to commuting to my daily mortgage-paying employment. I only commute solo about half the time and vanpool the other half. Included in this first year's mileage are a winter and a summer trip from SoCal to NID, and back.

I have 1,000 miles left on the manufacturer's new-car warranty and if I elect to do so, need to purchase a manufacturer extended warranty within that 1,000 remaining miles. I retire in almost exactly three months and will be moving to a new area, an area known for it's outdoor recreational opportunities. I expect to have an 'active' retirement, especially in the first few years. Lots of exploring and discovering that new area. Don't really see myself as a 'stay at home' retiree.

Assuming you are now retired, my question is . . .

Has your driving habits changed significantly now that you are retired? Or, do you find yourself driving pretty much the same annual mileage as before you retired?

- - -

Additional background: New car is a Toyota Rav4. Toyotas are known for their mechanical reliability, but these days, there are so much electronics in them that they are not really 'owner friendly' concerning repairs. Extended warranties available are for 5, 6, 7, and 8 years and from 75k, 100k, and 125k miles; prices differ with flavor purchased. It looks like the sweet spot for me, based on my historical driving habits, might be the 5yr/125k version for $850.00. That would give me 25k miles a year. These warranties are through Toyota, not a 3rd-party provider. I tend to keep my autos until the 'wheels fall off'. Fully expect to do some 'car camping' with this one.

I'm always asked by the insurance company, how many miles I will drive in a year. Seems like the premium goes up and up, if I say more than 7500 miles. How do you work it with your?. Where you put so many miles on. Do you just say you don't know how many miles will be driven?

Last edited by volosong; 12-02-2016 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 12-02-2016, 02:35 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,562,702 times
Prior to retirement I drove about 8,000 miles per year - mostly to work and back.. I do not drive at night due to poor night vision. So, that also impacts the amount of driving both pre and post retirement.

Since retiring 3 yrs ago I average about 5500 miles per year and about 50% of that driving is for volunteer work. I now live in an area where biking, walking and bus transportation is available, so it is easy to reduce the amount of driving I do.

Once I was under 7,500 miles per year, my insurance cost dropped by 40%. Since I drive a Prius and get 50 miles per gallon, my gas costs are very low. I need to remember to stop and get gas about once a month.

I do walk 3 -5 miles a day - so I need to buy good athletic shoes more often than prior to my retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or