U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:10 PM

4,699 posts, read 2,547,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are downsizing significantly and I'm finally getting rid of several boxes of beautiful but never used china. Some was purchased in Germany in the 50s by my mother and never used.
What is the brand name of the china? Is it Rosenthal? If so, do you know which pattern? (If you don't know the name, perhaps you could describe it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:36 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
You can try Replacements. You can also check with high end consignment shops. There isn't a lot of demand for old china though.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 PM

996 posts, read 863,490 times
Replacements will send you an offer via email within about an hour of your inquiry. At least get that so you can make an informed decision about whether or not to deal with them. It is definitely true that their offer is much lower than the selling price on their site.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:49 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
They certainly aren't in demand, I had a beautiful set of Bavarian china from 1932 & the most I was offered was $200. There was no way I would sell it for that so I gave it to my daughter-in-law, she loves it!

Old 12-03-2016, 12:54 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,780,290 times
I used to collect bone china teacups & saucers, and deco teapots and had the best luck selling them at local consignment stores. My daughter had no interest in them, even though we had some fun tea parties when she was a child.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:10 AM

12,260 posts, read 12,507,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I sold 12 place settings of Lennox china for only $200. That was about each place setting cost back in 1971 when I received them as wedding gifts. Some plates were still in original packaging.
Really sad. Sold on Craigslist. I tried selling them on Ebay and other places for a few years. When I finally got that offer, I took it. Practically gave away my Sterling silver flatware, too.
I gave away six sets of silver plate flatware in excellent condition, and turned one set into wind chimes. The sterling still hangs around, getting used once in a while. I figure it will always be worth the silver content. I also have a massive silver service that was cast out of coin silver in the days when coins were cheaper than silver. I have no idea what to do with that. Maybe carve some dies and counterfeit valuable coins?

As for china, I gave away a bunch of that too. I tried selling some, but nobody wanted it. We kept one set that is a 19th century service for 12. It hasn't been used in 50 years. We keep it because it belonged to my wife's grandmother. The last thing I want to do is wash dishes by hand after Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I still have mine and I hope one of my nieces will want it.

As people have already said, there isn't much of a demand anymore. They don't want antiques, silver, china--all the things we cherished, the things we inherited or received as wedding gifts. It's kind of sad. No appreciation for quality.

If I were to get rid of my china it would go on a facebook yardsale group. (You type in the town or city's name to find one.)That way you meet in person, they get to see it, there is no shipping angst, and you get cash. Craigs List is also good. I meet the people in the parking lot of CVS so that they don't come to my house.
Our local police department encourages sales meetings in their parking lot and will even provide a nearby uniformed officer to be present for the protection of everybody.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:42 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,058,509 times
I brought mine to a consignment shop. It sold right away but I didn't get much but I was glad to be rid of it.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:31 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,936,550 times
I absolutely love old china, and as a mosaic artist, purchase lots of it to use in my work. The pieces I don't cut, I either keep or sell. I've purchased more than my share of sets and pieces on Ebay, and sold a lot, as well.

While the shabby chic craze is pretty much passŤ, there are still folks out there who would love a set of old (antique) china, if it is pretty. The 50's stuff is popular as well - think mid-century modern designs.

Since you have a set of never used German china that is over 75 years old, there will be a market for it.

I would recommend selling on Ebay and see what kind of response you get.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 AM

4,884 posts, read 6,339,279 times
My sister buys a lot of items on OfferUp. Going to try it myself to try to sell some things that have to go.

I wouldn't discount Replacements, especially since you are so close. You can search their website and see if they need your style set, or if they have an over abundance of it. Maybe get a feel, or maybe they can give you a quote, for what you have. I have some pieces from sets I use to sell on Ebay many moons ago. I go by replacements once a year and plan on taking them there at some point.

I never registered for China when I got married (early 80's). It was something I knew I wouldn't use. Years down the line I came across a set at a garage sale for $10. I liked it, thought maybe one day I'd use it. I can only tell you it's white, maybe has a silver ring around the rim, but it's still in the same box I bought it in and has only been touched to move it to my current home 6 years ago. Easily can say I purchased it 10 years ago, if not more. I doubt I will ever use it. Easier just to grab my every day white set to serve friends on. I think "china" is a little too fancy for me, I'm not the china kinda gal. They have yet to make a dedicated china popcorn bowl that goes with a set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or