U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,820,852 times

Advertisements

Another big reason why people don't register for china, dishes and cooking utensils these days has to do with their dining out habits. They are more likely to blow money eating at restaurants with friends; dinner parties at home are a thing of the past. My husband and I have them, but our friends all like dining out instead. They seem disappointed when we invite them over for dinner, versus meeting up at a restaurant. Then they wonder why they are broke all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:31 AM

1,186 posts, read 662,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I applaud you for purchasing quality stoneware. I doubt, however, that future generations will embrace formal entertaining like our parents did. I just don't think it will happen. Our lives get more and more casual with each decade.

When formal entertaining was in vogue, most women did not work outside the home and it was not unusual for a man's progress up the career ladder to somewhat depend on how well his wife could entertain. Sad but true.

And people are used to going to public restaurants to celebrate or for special dinner parties. Even in the area of children's birthday parties it is unusual to find somebody having a party at home. Nobody has the time to shop for, prepare the food, serve and clean up after a party to say nothing of the pre party clean up. There will always be those of us who like to have pretty china in a special cabinet or for display but nobody wants 12 place settings and every serving piece.

When I got married in 1976 my mother insisted on buying me enough formal china and silver to "Properly entertain just another couple or two". I didn't really even think about it but it seemed important to her. She was going by what was popular in her generation. I'm trying to be more in tune with the values and wishes of my kids' generations ( we have two sets of kids 19 years apart!) instead of my own so I understand why nobody wants my china, crystal , linen tablecloths and matching napkins, bridge table sets, etc.
I totally agree. I was also married in the 70s and had dinner parties with all my fine china, sterling, and crystal and always used it on holidays. A set of sterling flatware was a common wedding gift in my family from parents to their daughters. Dinner parties were a lot of work with the preparation of food and linens plus cleaning your house for company! I remember my mother ironing the heavy linen tablecloths which took forever.

Now we meet friends at restaurants and enjoy our time there. Gourmet dinner clubs were big for awhile but I don't hear much about those anymore. I just think women are just "over" the amount of work involved. On some holidays we ate in the early afternoon, then spent hours washing and drying all the formal tableware and then set the table, prepared a later supper and did it all again. We were in the kitchen all day! I have to say I do remember those special times spent with my mom, sister and grandmother, though.

I don't think this generation will ever go back to formal dining. Many new homes no longer even have a formal dining room which would sit empty. Casual lifestyles are here to stay. Even some top cruise lines are going for less formal dress for dining as people are objecting.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:53 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,820,852 times
Yes, formal dinner parties are a thing of the past, but we don't do overly formal dinner parties. Ours are casual. Which we need dishes for and cookware. I think it's kind of tacky to serve friends on paper plates, unless it's an outdoor BBQ.

We did the Dave Ramsey course and he mentioned the fact that many people have no retirement funds because they ate them all. In restaurants.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 AM

37,096 posts, read 45,613,761 times
When my sister and I got married in the 60s, we had a registry at a store that carried fine china and silver and we got quite a bit. Fast forward to the 90s when our daughters got married. The girls still wanted separate dinnerware for special occasions, but only if it could be microwaved, dishwashered. They only wanted stainless flatware, and nothing like Waterford crystal, but glassware that could be easily replaced. It makes sense.
Nowadays, if I had it to over, I would get stainless, glassware that is easily replaced, and probably a bunch of quirky mismatched pottery. I like mixing and matching a table.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 AM

3,758 posts, read 10,634,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I sold 12 place settings of Lennox china for only $200. That was about each place setting cost back in 1971 when I received them as wedding gifts. Some plates were still in original packaging.
Really sad. Sold on Craigslist. I tried selling them on Ebay and other places for a few years. When I finally got that offer, I took it. Practically gave away my Sterling silver flatware, too.
I'm not surprised on the China.

I am surprised on the Sterling Flatware. The sterling I've seen selling on Ebay (granted, I last looked maybe a year ago) was selling in the low thousands.

If nothing else, the sterling has melt value which puts a floor to how low the prices should drop.

China is routinely sold here at consignment type shops. Maybe $300+ for a better set (occasionally see Wedgewood, etc.. in the $400ish range) or $200ish for a middle of the road set. Less than $100 for very ordinary sets (Homer Laughlin, etc..).

I have numerous sets of my mothers. I don't use it, it lives in boxes. If I ever finish my kitchen, I'd like to have several different sets out on display and use them. If we break a dish each night, I should run out of china in a year (or two!).

I'd rather use it (even if it runs the risk of damage) than totally give it away. (Mom's wedding china was Lennox (one of the Rose patterns) and looks dated by todays standards. Even though compared to some of the rose patterns I've seen on vintage china, hers is quite understated and decent looking, I think the pattern would hurt it and I'd be lucky to get $250.

The ones that sell for the most are just banded or geometric patterns in the banding. The floral patterns tend to be very dated and end up selling for less.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What is the brand name of the china? Is it Rosenthal? If so, do you know which pattern? (If you don't know the name, perhaps you could describe it.)
Yes I have

Rosenthal Florabunda
Noritake Gold Croft
Noritake Royal Hunt
Noritake Monteleone
Salem Christmas Eve
Winterling Bavaria- can't find the name but Replacements calls it WIG 39

Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,739,984 times
I have the 12 place setting with accessories Sterling that my grandmother gave my parents 60 yrs ago. I have been lugging this stuff around for years and want to get rid of it. It is crazy how heavy one piece is. Can't imagine ever using it but remember as a kid on those "special" occasions having to eat with it. At this point in my life the connection has faded quite a bit.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 AM

1,186 posts, read 662,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My mother had and used individual butter knives, shrimp cocktail forks, luncheon size and dinner sized silverware,ice tea spoons, demitasse spoons, soup spoons, individual salt and pepper for each place setting, and every serving piece you can imagine including jelly, cranberry sauce, meat forks, cake cutters, slotted spoons, pie server, etc. I have several of those big wooden boxes lined in felt with the sections for each kind of piece. I guess I could sell some of it to melt down for cash. or make wind chimes. I also have plated set my father got from saving box tops from cereal boxes.
Yes, I have most of these and don't forget the lemon and pickle forks! My daughter thought those were hysterical.

Also, new babies were given sterling infant feeding spoons (long handle) and then child-size sterling forks and spoons. Truly I think those days are over.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 AM

6,784 posts, read 3,857,072 times
I use my China every day. It's lighter than my old stoneware, and takes up less space in the cupboard. I just wash it in the dishwasher since it is essentially worthless now anyway. We use the luncheon size plates. I really enjoy using it!

Old 12-05-2016, 02:48 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,930,892 times
I have my mother's fine china from when she was married in 1956 and I treasure it. But I know it's probably not worth anything to anybody else. I also have a set of my grandmother's luncheon plates that she used for her women's club lunches (probably in the 40s and 50s). It's a dinner-sized plate with a ring to hold a teacup in it. I guess they had little tea sandwiches and they could use the same plate to hold their coffee. It was definitely another era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or