Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,271,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think it is more an issue of not being able to safely place gold or platinum banded dishes in the dishwasher than the microwave ...
I worked for several years in the bridal registry of a major department store chain. I had training from a lot of the manufacturers of upscale home products.

Then metallic trim on fine china can survive fine in the dishwasher. The only caveat is you have to let them cool off before you handle them. If the metal softens from the heat of a drying cycle it can smear. Antique china might not survive a dishwasher for other reasons, but the metal banding isn't usually an issue.

A bigger problem in the dishwasher is fine glassware. The process and the harsh chemicals can etch glassware. Best to run them on a gentle cycle with a small amount of soap. Stemware is also problematic. Stemless wine glasses are now very popular as a result and millennials usually appreciate them as a gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,851,723 times
Quote:
Noritake Monteleone
Very nice. If I'd run into this thread a number of years ago, I might have said "SOLD!"

Old 12-05-2016, 05:13 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,107,878 times
I didn't know China was for sale. I'm betting that no one could afford the cost.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,894,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I worked for several years in the bridal registry of a major department store chain. I had training from a lot of the manufacturers of upscale home products.

Then metallic trim on fine china can survive fine in the dishwasher. The only caveat is you have to let them cool off before you handle them. If the metal softens from the heat of a drying cycle it can smear. Antique china might not survive a dishwasher for other reasons, but the metal banding isn't usually an issue.

A bigger problem in the dishwasher is fine glassware. The process and the harsh chemicals can etch glassware. Best to run them on a gentle cycle with a small amount of soap. Stemware is also problematic. Stemless wine glasses are now very popular as a result and millennials usually appreciate them as a gift.
Thank you very much for this added and valuable information. If my Monteleone doesn't sell I will start using it myself. I love it now as much as I did 40 years ago when I picked it out.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:46 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,851,723 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for this added and valuable information. If my Monteleone doesn't sell I will start using it myself. I love it now as much as I did 40 years ago when I picked it out.
I just love it. How much of it do you have?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:10 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,542,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I definitely agree with this approach. Why have something taking up space if you don't use it? But, I can't use my china in the microwave, so it is kind of impractical for everyday.
I just keep a couple of microwaveable plates in the cupboard too, but I don't actally heat my food on the plate I eat from very often.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I just love it. How much of it do you have?
8 of the 5 pieces in a place setting plus 15 extra salad/dessert and loads of serving pieces.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:52 PM

249 posts, read 265,945 times
I have Lenox China and wash it in the dishwasher.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
I have Lenox China and wash it in the dishwasher.
Does it have metalic band? And how long have you been doing this? How is it holding up? How often is it put in the dishwasher? I imagine once or twice a year (and not touching it until it has cooled ass was suggested) would do no harm but I'm wondering about everyday use.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,317,692 times
This thread saddens me.

I've always wanted my own China set since I was little. One of my few good childhood memories was of going to my maternal Grandmothers house for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Oh my! She had the most beautiful special occasion dinners. All the China settings, actual silver flatware and crystal glassware.

We would go over and help her get things ready a day or so before. I got to help clean the silver. I think that's when my love of taking something ugly and dirty then shining it up and making it beautiful started.

I never did get my own set. I could never justify spending that kind of money on what essentially is a frivolous purchase. Then my beloved (and dearly missed) S'mom knew in her heart she didn't have much longer for this earth. My last visit, she insisted that if I truly wanted her China, I should box it and ship it to my house. So I did. I knew in my saddened heart that she was right.

She passed two months later. I got there before she died but she wasn't alert. I do think that she knew I was with her though. Two days later I was still at her bedside when she crossed over to be with my Dad and Brother.

I will forever cherish her China. It's only a service for 8 but she had bought it during her marriage to Dad. I've used it twice now. I do use it when I want a meal to feel a bit more special. It will be a year in January since she left us.

My daughter has the same sentimental feelings towards heritage pieces as I. When I pass, she wants the China. Hopefully, one of her kids will feel the same sentimental pull.

My son wanted mom's wall mounted grandfather type clock. I was happy that he expressed desire for anything. . My daughter got mom's Hummel. She's loved those pieces since she was a little girl.

I've looked for more pieces of the China on websites but have never found that same pattern. I wish I could dig out the China to look to see if it matched any of the ones listed. Unfortunately, it was one of the first that I boxed in preparation of moving into the new place. It won't get inboxed until probably next month.

Oh My God! I think I will inbox it on the year anniversary of her passing. My way of paying tribute to a very special lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement