U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,934,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If all goes as planned, ...
But my co-workers (and often patients, too) are from all over the world. There is time and space for conversation at night. I have met and conversed with people from all over, from so many countries and am so much richer for it. It makes the world seem less lonely.

• as soon as you settle in:Join 2-3 hospitality guest home directories, you will likely get 3 visitors from each per yr, usually international if you tailor your membership as such.
  • In your 'free time' Use the Guest home directory to travel the world (free to $20/ night)
  • Venture to Jr College and take some courses
  • Travel and stay with Hostels (Ft Mason in SF has LOTS of older international travelers)
  • Join up with a monthly travel club in your SW CO region, very rich to learn of others journeys
Many Guest home directory people have chosen to STAY HOME and 'adventure' from the reports of their guests (Perfect if you are stuck with animals / livestock / obligations / health)

Majority of hosts are Teachers, librarians, profs, and very interesting (in their travels, probably due to loneliness of profession and seeking to adventure). All sites list a profile of host and their interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 AM

14,374 posts, read 7,916,313 times
Dear one. Everything has a beginning, a middle, and an end. The beginning and the end seems to be the hardest part. In the middle we are comfortable in our routine, even if it's not our ideal. Some people can't move on from that.

You know in your heart exactly what you want to do, but you are also giving up something that you value. The question is which do you value most? An opportunity to change for what could be the better, or staying in your comfort zone?

Either way, there will be an end to your job at some point, so maybe it's a timing issue?

From my experience as someone who made an impulsive decision to retire early, I'd say go for it if you're ready financially. I have the best of both worlds now. I can talk to and see anyone I want to on Facebook. Those that were important to me are still in my life but in a different way. I also have the freedom to do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it. It's almost like being a kid again, only with your own big piggy bank. Life is good, no great without confines and chains.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:41 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
So much kind wisdom in this discussion. I hope I'm not the only on to read, learn and benefit!

Old 12-03-2016, 01:51 PM

711 posts, read 442,217 times
My husband set the bar for me. He retired from an industry he had been in for over 40 years. He was retired for a couple years but went back to work and will finish his 10th year there in 2017 and will retire again then (there is an age gap with us so I wasn't able to retire when he did the first time).

During his initital retirement he was busier than he was while working. He was a museum docent, volunteered at a local winery, made some trips that really weren't things I wanted to do and added to his hobby list. He has time to do things he had always enjoyed but hadn't had time for before retirement. And he also found new things that he really enjoyed.

We'll be retiring together in 2017 and I'm looking forward to following his first lead!

Old 12-03-2016, 04:26 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
This is not in line with the OP's subject, just want to comment that any of us moving somewhere at age 65+ and thinking it's permanent should/could think of what's there for facilities when we can no longer live alone due to frailty or declining health. (I'll bet you'll live longer there, though!)
While this happens to some, it doesn't happen to all (or even most). To be blunt, most people die before they get to that point-my past life as an adult services showed me as much. Plus there are in home services for those who need help. Some of it free as State run programs. Cost effective: $1000 in tax $$$ a month to allow someone to stay in their own home v's $6000 to be in a facility.

Live your dream and don't worry about some "what if" that may never come to pass!

Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,896,154 times
You never know for sure how things turn out, all you can do is to give it a try!

Old 12-04-2016, 12:59 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
It is always normal to second guess ourselves as we are on the verge of big change.
From all you shared I have no doubt that you will be just fine.
There are things you will unexpectedly miss and things you unexpectedly will not care for as a result of the move, but you will adjust in the long run.
Overall it sounds like you have planned it all out and it's not like you are moving into the ''totally unknown''.
I can't imagine having the means and choices in life that you do. It must be something.
Like others I am envious in a way, yet ready to end my days in surroundings where I have made my home for the past 25 years. I am not a joiner, spent my life serving others in very stressful jobs. I just seek solitude and a small place up in a wood somewhere with a buckstove in the winter and a front porch in the summer. I don't care if I ever see another soul, really. LOL
Anyway, am happy for anyone who pursues their dreams. Best wishes to you and your doggies!

Old 12-04-2016, 02:28 AM

Thank you so much.
I have gotten the means by working myself into the ground on night shifts pretty much since 1987 (and certainly since my return to current job/pension in 1999). If something happened so I couldn't move (injury, illness, etc.) I wouldn't be devastated but I think I'd be disappointed that I haven't gotten to try my last hurrah.
Regarding means, of course I worry that I am pulling the trigger too early, a few more years of work would mean a lot financially, but there's that health/time/wealth matrix.

Just looking at my 2017 calendar and deciding where to write the countdown to Dec. 31. I am so grateful to have this forum to discuss these things. It seems kind of rude to bring it up among co-workers who are either much younger, (and much lower paid!) or otherwise just not in my position. Someone did ask me, what will you do when you retire, and I said, a long time ago, "I just won't come to ____ Hospital every night!"

Old 12-04-2016, 02:55 AM

6,559 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Thirteen months is a long time - I wish you were closer. Stay healthy, You will love retirement. Take some time and see all of that stuff in Boston that you never got around to seeing....as a pretend retiree. Make a list and check things off... that will make the time go by and help you see movement forward.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:41 AM

Ha. If there's anything I've missed in Boston, it's probably OK with me! Went to my last Springsteen concern last February, most clubs have closed, and I don't have a regular buddy for conversation/dinner/music. I have become a homebody with the dogs in the woods and the internet. I mean, I haven't been to the MFA since the first Monet exhibit! Obviously, it's not that important to me. I lived in Cambridge for almost 20 years and did all the urban things that used to be there. Well, maybe I'd like to hear some bigger name music people down at Berklee but it's already such a hassle getting there (I live 30 miles from Boston).

I do remember once when I made a rash move to Santa Fe (nothing worked out right) in my last week there, I did some tourist things. It was kind of funny.

I do plan to love retirement. Just got the third cluster**** in a row of weekend sick calls and possible mandated overtime. This is getting *very old*, and my work commitment is every weekend (work two shifts, get paid for three, pro-rated benefits). Every foolish weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement