U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:39 AM

13,324 posts, read 25,582,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Thirteen months is a long time - I wish you were closer. Stay healthy, You will love retirement. Take some time and see all of that stuff in Boston that you never got around to seeing....as a pretend retiree. Make a list and check things off... that will make the time go by and help you see movement forward.
I get the forward feeling from making money towards my new life/house, and the timetable for what to do about getting the house built. Got my FICO up to excellent recently, will apply for the construction loan in March, get the permit then, foundation in during the summer (before first hard freeze), then the external shell and then it'll be time to retire- resting up/packing for a few months while they build the interior, then it's April 2018 and off I go, with whatever senior mutts of mine have made it that far (currently have five, but two are so old!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 AM

4,743 posts, read 4,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Add: I bought a small lot right in town and will be building a small house (800 sq.ft.) I wanted to be right in town and with my dogs, couldn't see renting. There is little available for sale in town and most houses are real old or real big or real outside of town. So I'll get exactly what I want. Last time I went out I interviewed builders and hired the right one.

I do think I'll appreciate the internet a great deal for staying in touch. I love to type and have already re-established far-flung friendships via Facebook. I will stay in touch with a few people from work, who can pass on my "news" to the job people. Yes, most people do have stabilizing influences that keep them here in pricey Mass., be they ball-and-chain types or something more... appealing. I grew up in south Jersey and couldn't wait to leave at 18. I do feel I've become a New Englander but also felt like a Mountain Western person. No other regions appeal to me emotionally (never mind weather, belief-system, etc.) There is a couple who consider me family here in Mass., but they are planning a move to western Mass. for retirement. It's like this is a great area to go to school or have a career job/climbing, but it does seem that people move after that.

I'm amazed at the number of people who make their retirement decision to stay or where to move based on grandkids. I had no idea it was so important to so many people. I suffer the opposite issue- belonging with no one and nowhere, both a tremendous freedom and (on low days) a real sense of isolation. How many people have to pay someone to be their executor?

As I sit here at work and it nears 4am and I so wish I wasn't working, even though the night is quiet. Been doing this long enough. Had a nice conversation with a Pakistani co-worker and then a Haitian co-worker. But they will move on as do most co-workers, for career/family/retirement. I've seen it over the years. It is nice to know that some people will miss me. I think one thing is, I apparently don't look my age, and no one expected me to be retiring in 13 months, never mind moving out West.

I just got weary of making every vacation a trip to ride horses out West and thinking of retirement here, of taking the same vacations. Why not just move there?!

At worse, I'll be a dog-adopting hermit and might be considered a bit odd. Nothing new there!

And while Ridgway, CO, isn't exactly low cost, I'm coming from the Boston area, and COL isn't my main concern. Humidity is, and views of the big mountains, and a horse life and the possibility of learning how to become involved in a community.
Just now saw your thread, doglover. Anyone contemplating such a major change is bound to have second thoughts. However, you have researched your move so carefully, and I happen to know that half the folks on the Colorado Forum, including myself, have met you IRL and already think the world of you. Pretty soon I'm going to have a great reason to go up to Ridgway for visits, so that I can see my good friend, Bright Dog Lover. Remember that Alexander and I are in training to walk to Ridgway if it comes down to it, just to see you. And while my resources are limited, you need only dial my cell and I'll do anything I can to help you out with whatever. I suspect the same goes for a number of other members on the Colorado Forum who I've exchanged DM's with and your name happened to come up. You are not leaving your friends behind, you're coming home to where all your friends can't wait for you to arrive. Remember that, my friend!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Ha. If there's anything I've missed in Boston, it's probably OK with me! ...
I do plan to love retirement. Just got the third cluster**** in a row of weekend sick calls and possible mandated overtime. This is getting *very old*, and my work commitment is every weekend (work two shifts, get paid for three, pro-rated benefits). Every foolish weekend!
You might find that you miss working those extra shifts, and working weekends!!! (especially the OT and shift premiums!) 30+ yrs on nights and weekends created a creature of habit in me... I still seek weekend opportunities to work and get extra dough for my midweek (uncrowded) pleasures. Since I had a weekend PT trucking job I MUST be plying the highways on weekend nights. Don't think I'm up to the CO, WY, SD, NE winter driving anymore, + the State Patrol closes the roads VERY early due to few drivers capable of discerning when they are "in-too-deep". Weekend 'relief' jobs still pay quite well, as the 'new' entitled workers are not keen on working nights and especially expect their weekends off; EVERY WEEKEND!.

I suspect you are gonna get kinda lonely about 2AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings (when you would previously been working and engaging with those 'interesting' people. ) But then the cool mtn air might make you SLEEPY at night! So you are wide awake to enjoy the entire day of sunshine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement