U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:46 PM

7,292 posts, read 4,145,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I am always entertained by the perpetual hand wringing trade off discussions:

Cold (and more sunny) inland winters versus less cold but rainy coastal.
In fairness to the OP, she's struggling with the decision because she's never experienced either. How can you predict how you'll respond to cold, snowy winters if you've never lived in an area that gets significant snow? Or weeks of gloom when you've always lived in an area that's sunny most of the time?

It's a lot easier to choose after you have experienced both. (For me, I'll take snow over perpetual clouds any day of the week - but that's because I know how both affect me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
I would imagine there's a possibly significant difference between the Oregon and Northern Idaho political and religious environments. From those I know in Oregon, many of the small cities are not overly religious, which is fine for many but not others, and politically they lean more liberal, also fine for liberals but not others. I know nothing of Idaho, but in checking out final picks for a move I wouldn't overlook this aspect. You could end up a fish out of water if one place is overwhelmingly "this" vs "that."

Old 12-08-2016, 07:44 PM

14,255 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I would imagine there's a possibly significant difference between the Oregon and Northern Idaho political and religious environments. From those I know in Oregon, many of the small cities are not overly religious, which is fine for many but not others, and politically they lean more liberal, also fine for liberals but not others. I know nothing of Idaho, but in checking out final picks for a move I wouldn't overlook this aspect. You could end up a fish out of water if one place is overwhelmingly "this" vs "that."

For a lot of people, the politics of an area does not really matter. Many of us are perfectly capable of living around people who may not agree with us politically or religiously.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM

143 posts, read 132,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
IDAHO far outweighs Oregon!
mainly due to the massive NW earthquake that is waaay overdue.
Last one was in 1700 and they estimate that it was a 9.3 OMG
It is now about 75 years over due
on average one has happened every 250 years for the past 10,000 years
The panhandle of Idaho will be safe and it is ssoo pretty!
And Idaho awaits the eruption of the Yellowstone super-volcano, which is also overdue and will bury the panhandle in boulders and ash..... or an astroid impact, which can happen anywhere.... pick your location and pick your doomsday scenario.

The truth is that you need to find a location with a community that suits your likes and needs. Let everything else take care of itself. Enjoy your life wherever you are. You may be hit by a bus tomorrow!

Last edited by northwesty; 12-08-2016 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 12-08-2016, 08:14 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,456,526 times
East of the Cascades and the southern part of Oregon, (basically everything outside the Willamette Valley), are pretty attuned with the political attitudes in Idaho. Same with Washington east of the Cascades. The area has a more libertarian philosophy. They don't care what others do or think, they just don't want ideas shoved down their throats. They really don't care to which political party one has an affiliation.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-08-2016, 08:31 PM

143 posts, read 132,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
East of the Cascades and the southern part of Oregon, (basically everything outside the Willamette Valley), are pretty attuned with the political attitudes in Idaho. Same with Washington east of the Cascades. The area has a more libertarian philosophy. They don't care what others do or think, they just don't want ideas shoved down their throats. They really don't care to which political party one has an affiliation.

I have lots of friends in eastern and southern Oregon.... and they DO care which political party you belong to. Several friends in Grant County, Oregon are rabid anti-federal government zealots... but the largest employer in the county is.....the federal government. Lot's of contradictions.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:39 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Sorry, I spoke out of turn. In Idaho, especially north Idaho of which I know, they don't really care. OR and WA I couldn't say with any authority. My apologies.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 PM

325 posts, read 292,583 times
I am excited to check out Coeur d'Alene area next month.. We are going in Jan since that should be a snowy cold month to really gage just how cold, COLD is... lol
We are very easy going and get along with both sides, but I would tend to say I am a bit more conservative ..
Aredhel, thank you.. It is huge change.. One we will be happy with either way I am sure..

My husband and daughter are leaning more towards CDA... I guess I will not know for sure till I see it in the winter time ♥

Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesty View Post
I have lots of friends in eastern and southern Oregon.... and they DO care which political party you belong to. Several friends in Grant County, Oregon are rabid anti-federal government zealots... but the largest employer in the county is.....the federal government. Lot's of contradictions.
Oregon is "Group Think", so join the crowd or stay silent and appear to agree. WA and ID allow / accept free thinkers. Most of PNW is 'free' (think and act appropriately). My most radical friends are the well armed LDS, but we get along fine and they haven't shot me, yet (tho we disagree on a lot of issues).

JMHO working, teaching, living in PNW (OR/WA border) for 34+ usually in OR and WA a few times each / week. Daily working with people from both sides as well as co-workers / friends from ID (have factories / schools I work in Idaho as well).

Oregon was deemed a political 'battleground' state, that results in very damaging and divisive influence from out of state interests, eventually being populated by the same. Lot at what it has done / is doing to previously sane Colorado. The increased youth gun violence and social contention is a result. Gated subdivisions were not necessary or desired 30 yrs ago. People on party line telephones seemed to get along just fine. (with occasional spat, but no guns!)

Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 AM

491 posts, read 597,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesty View Post
I view myself as pretty non political, I have NEVER started a conversation about my political beliefs EVER and I am very very sure of that. I am very introverted and don't like conflict.

I moved here 11years ago, and I don't know if it the place or just how the whole political climate has changed, but I am rarely out with friends when the topic doesn't turn to politics. I actually seat myself on the outside edge of coffee group and when it starts I say "I have a lot errands to run today. Best be going" and sometimes that is really shortly after I get there. For me it is a quality of life issue. If I had it to do over, it would be a deciding factor. It gets very old to have your political values bashed pretty much every time you are out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or