U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:30 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
We were 99% sure we were moving to Eugene area.. Or Cottage Grove... right up until last week when a bunch of our friends were saying that Oregon is considered to be a bad place to retire, with taxes and all..
I always thought OR was a great place to retire, with legal Marijuana and assisted suicide. After all, you never know what old age is going to bring you.

Seriously - you should look carefully at any claims about taxes. What matters is the total tax burden: sales tax, income tax, property tax, vehicle taxes, etc. It pretty much evens out between states. They all cost money to run. Yes OR has an income tax but it has no sales tax.

I would put a higher premium on quality of life issues. It would be awful to live somewhere you didn't particularly like just so you can save a few dollars on taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 10:39 AM

491 posts, read 597,769 times
Two by four, I think that is a good point. I moved here from a no sales tax state, but a state income tax state. It is interesting to me that retired I pay almost exactly the same amount in sales tax monthly, as I paid monthly in income tax. If I still lived in the no sales tax state my taxable income would be low enough to not pay any state tax.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
Two by four, I think that is a good point. ...If I still lived in the no sales tax state my taxable income would be low enough to not pay any state tax.
I hope your income is REALLY low,

Oregon has a threshhold starting at $3,350, @ only 7% income tax. Doesn't jump to 9% tax until you get to $8400/ yr income.

Of course each state / scenario / spending / federal offset is different, so run the numbers. My FIL moved from 'fair taxed' Colorado to Oregon in his late 70's. Taxes are killing him, and he now eats a lot of Ramen, instead of great Colorado BEEF. (he is very frugal and low earnings). He will migrate 2 minutes north as soon as the wicked step mother croaks.

"No Sales tax" is not a huge winner unless you are spending a LOT on accumulation of STUFF. many retirees are selling a lot! (of stuff).

Both states have pretty high property taxes, but you just need to be careful what, and where you buy. (a barn with a NICE apartment in a low tax district is ideal for retiree, our county ranges from $14/ thousand to $8/ Thousand. Thus I have homes virtually across the street that are taxed at 60% of the other.

Best situation for many is to live on WA side and venture 2 - 20 minutes to Oregon if they absolutely MUST save the sales tax. Since I have WA commercial tenants, I prefer to purchase from WA businesses (cost of admission). as mentioned,,, I am BUYING very little these days. Having PDX nearby really is nice for shipping all the eBay items I sell! I can schedule the trip so I get a $.99 hot breakfast at Ikea. I can then stand by the freeway on-ramp with my cardboard sign and sad dog, and collect enough dough for MANY trips and plenty of food.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
..."No Sales tax" is not a huge winner unless you are spending a LOT on accumulation of STUFF. many retirees are selling a lot! (of stuff).
So true. In researching my retirement home, MT was a possibility. Like OR, they do not have a state sales tax. However, it turns out that the overall tax burden is high. Everything else is higher to make up for the lost revenues of not having a sales tax. Despite the natural beauty of the place, it is not know as a retiree-friendly destination.

Knowing that I'm no longer in the accumulation phase of my life, I understand that not having a sales tax really isn't the big draw one would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Best situation for many is to live on WA side and venture 2 - 20 minutes to Oregon if they absolutely MUST save the sales tax....I can schedule the trip so I get a $.99 hot breakfast at Ikea. I can then stand by the freeway on-ramp with my cardboard sign and sad dog, and collect enough dough for MANY trips and plenty of food.
This is what my brother did. He lived in the Portland area and the taxes were 'killing' him, even without the sales tax. He moved himself and his family across the river to Vancouver and commutes in for his employment. (I will admit that he also moved for the better schools and because of having a different political philosophy.) When he purchases 'big' stuff, he'll go over to Portland and get it, otherwise their home is in WA.

p.s. I've heard that freeway beggars actually make a decent income. Some, if they are honest with you, will admit that they make more doing that than working at a 'real' job. Can't blame 'em, but it has desensitized me to to where I only give to organizations that work directly with the downtrodden and truly needy.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-10-2016, 04:12 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,066 times
My state income tax in Oregon will not be that much more that it would be in New Mexico. Oregon does not tax social security and you can deduct about $5-6K in federal income tax paid. You can also deduct the amount of your federal pension, including TSP (401k) withdrawals, for credit earned before Oct 1991. So only about 1/2 of my income gets taxed. And that could go down more once I buy a home and have property tax to deduct. It is a high income tax rate on a smaller value. And then no sales tax. New Mexico taxes social security, mimics the feds for deductions but otherwise offers very few deductions unless you are low income. Then there is a gross receipts tax in the 7% range depending on county that includes both goods and services (except grocery foods and prescription meds).

Last edited by ABQ2015; 12-10-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 07:18 PM

325 posts, read 292,583 times
TwobyFour
We are looking at either Eugene area or Coeur d"Alene area in Idaho..
BOTH are beautiful ... My husband said that Lake Coeur d'Alene was the most amazing lake he has ever seen and that was JUST from the photos and videos ... ha ha
Honestly I would love to live either place... ♥

Old 12-10-2016, 08:45 PM

6,743 posts, read 3,851,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I always wonder about people that move to a remote area when they retire. When you are young that's fine but when you get old you need people and services.
Yes.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 566 times
Planning a move to NID, CDA from northern Cali. I really do not mind the Cold. Here we get the concrete snow. One day hotter than anything, the next day is freezing. It would be nice to experience some constant seasons. Not looking for work, planning to retire. My question is: what is a good time of the year to travel and relocate?

Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrijl View Post
Planning a move to NID, CDA from northern Cali. I really do not mind the Cold. Here we get the concrete snow. One day hotter than anything, the next day is freezing. It would be nice to experience some constant seasons. Not looking for work, planning to retire. My question is: what is a good time of the year to travel and relocate?
fall season and Mid winter to search and buy property(offerings may be few, but I seldom buy something that is advertised for sale, I dig up places to purchase BEFORE they get listed FS) (you should be looking 2- 3 yrs in advance and know what you want, where, how much) Once I know my areas... I visit during terrible weather to check access, drainage, (snow drifts... / washed out roads...) I find it best to solicit my offers to buy about the time property tax notices go out. Then offer to close BEFORE taxes are due.

Late spring to travel / move (Mud might be gone from the spring thaw)

Gives you enough time to put up firewood for NEXT winter!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Before making a decision, take a serious look at the weather. The winters are long, cold with lots of snow and even worse minimal sunshine with months where almost every day is cloudy.

You want to move there because of the cost of living and the beauty in the summer time. Summer is short. Think about what other types of things you want to do in retirement. This little town is isolated and not exactly a haven for artistic or intellectual pursuits in case any of those interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or