U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,152,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I recently bought several pairs of progressives from EyeBuyDirect. No problems at all. I have ordered from Zenni and a few others in the past. Shop around for who is offering the best coupon for "first time buyers."
I have ordered from EyeBuyDirect as well since they make bifocal with prism for my husband and Zenni doesn't. Their glasses work fine too. I order mostly from Zenni for wider selections at lower frame prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,503,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have ordered from EyeBuyDirect as well since they make bifocal with prism for my husband and Zenni doesn't. Their glasses work fine too. I order mostly from Zenni for wider selections at lower frame prices.
Interesting! I just got a different prescription from another eye doctor. Turns out my p.d. was accurate but that I need a prism on my reading portion. Are they bifocals with prism for the whole prescription or just one part like the reading part?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,152,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Interesting! I just got a different prescription from another eye doctor. Turns out my p.d. was accurate but that I need a prism on my reading portion. Are they bifocals with prism for the whole prescription or just one part like the reading part?
All I know is that my husband prescription has number for prism corrections. We just enter the prescription information as is to the order + the PD to order bifocal glasses.

You could send an email to the manufacturer to get clarification.

I also want to clarify that Zenni does not make bifocal with prism glasses but they do make single focal glasses (reading or computer glasses) with prism. I don't remember whether they make progressive with prism or not.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Thanks. Sounds like you have a good eye doctor. I'm trying a new one and I got three prescriptions from her. In the progressive one she first wrote in a prism and then crossed it out for putting in the progressive add. The second is a reading prescription but the numbers are scribbled in and then crossed out and changed in one field. It does not follow the formula I learned for going from distance to reading. But it does have a prism. Then computer with a note scribbled on the end. She then shoved me out of the office to take her next patient while I was trying to ask her questions and said if I had any questions to ask the receptionist. So I asked the receptionist who said she couldn't read the note either. I then had to hang out through several cycles of patients to first clarify the number in the progressive. And to ask about a prism for the reading portion because she could only be bothered to answer a question in between other patients. I had to wait a half hour between each question.

I don't yet know if I order just distance should I order the scribbled out prism that was changed for progressive? What distance the adds are for. They are very different than the ones before. And what the note says.

I had alerted the receptionist when I made the appt. that I likely needed a prism so I would think she should have allocated enough time for the exam but instead I get bustled out with what feels like half baked prescriptions. However I need to hold off judgement until I get the glasses. Maybe these numbers, cross outs and all, are somehow just the right ones for my eyes. But I'm going to be really ticked off if they are wrong because she couldn't take the time to verify which ones to write down. Who was the next patient anyways, the Queen of England?

For the pleasure of this I plunked down $95.

On the good side Costco reordered the two pairs I bought from them for free under a Drs change order so if the prescription is messed up then I presume they will fix it again.

I went ahead and ordered a distance pair and a progressive pair from Zenni. I didn't order the crossed out prism with either. I currently love the Zenni progressives so much that if the progressives work out I will probably seldom wear the distance.

I figure the only way to verify these numbers was to order glasses with them so I might as well do it. But having gone through this cycle with the first Dr. I would have felt a whole lot better if she figure out the numbers and then dialed them into her machine or her test pair to double check before writing them into the prescriptions.

Interestingly enough for P.D. she said the machine measured 28 and 28. She said to order 2 mm less in each eye for reading and 1.5mm less in each eye for computer.

How in the world do you find a decent eye doctor anyways? Obviously the reviews are no help.

Last edited by mic111; 12-16-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,402,413 times
Why glasses are so expensive

There is a lot of talk about Zenni in this thread. Maybe someone there can help.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 PM

This thread is so long that I don't know if anyone will ever get this far but I'm pleased to say I finally had success!

After 4 rounds of prescriptions I finally have one that works. But I had to be really persistent with the Dr. to get here.

Zenni, I must say has been excellent! They took back 3 pairs for full credit and then another 2 pairs. They are now my go-to glasses provider.

Here are my tips for ordering glasses when you are new to needing reading glasses and are nearsighted.

1.) For distance, order a very shallow pair that you can look underneath when you need to read.
2.) For readers, order a large lens pair so you aren't moving your head all around.
3.) For computer get the blue blocking lenses.
4.) For reading with progressives get a +1.25 for the progressive part.
4.) For computer with progressives get a +1 for the progressive part and blue blocker lenses.

When the Dr. had me try +2.25 for the progressive it was a disaster. There is too much difference between near and far which made me nauseous. So if you have problems with your progressives try a smaller delta like +1.25 or +1.

I am finding that the blue blocker lenses and Zenni progressives are my go-to glasses. They are so cheap that I am ordering them in fun colors with slight tweaks. I just placed an order for a purple pair but am paying the big bucks for the blue blocker high index lenses so $93 for the pair. My plain lens progressives were $43 and the lowest level of blue blocker were $60. The plain lenses were +1.25 which makes reading a book easier. The low level blue blockers were +1 which is great at the computer. This next pair I'm trying +1.25 again because the plain lenses are a little thick at the edges and the mid-index blue blockers are alot thinner. However the plain lenses are better for reading (seem to magnify the words just a bit better) and I don't know if it is the plastic material or the difference in +1 vs +1.25. Zenni says high index blue blockers have superior optics so I will see if that is true.

In terms of lens height for progressives from Zenni I find 32, 33 and 34 mm work just fine. However I have to adjust the nose pads so they sit lower on my face than I normally would wear glasses because Zenni puts the distance end/progressive start 5 mm above the center line for the glasses. When I tried 30 mm lens height I found I could not get the glasses low enough. Also buying a lens shape that dips at the bottom helps alot because it lowers the mid point.

The cost of my distance glasses at Zenni (including shipping) was $16.85. This allowed me to cheaply try the new prescription before ordering the progressives. The pair before that which was not the right prescription was also $16.85. I didn't bother sending this pair back because the shipping was $4.95 and they had been so great at giving full credit (minus shipping) for the previous 5 pairs with wrong prescriptions. I LOVE Zenni!

I find I am not using the dedicated computer glasses I bought from Costco at all. They were very expensive but with the +1 progressives they are perfect for the computer and I can see far away when I glance up. I also can read when I glance down. Perfect!

I am seldom using the dedicated readers the Dr. prescribed for me also from Costco. They are great for really find detail super close up but because the rest of my vision is so blurred I take them off when I've done the close up item like threading a bead or something else fine detail. With the Zenni progressives in +1 and +1.25 I don't really need dedicated reading or computer glasses. I'm also not using the distance only pair. The progressives work great for driving, especially the +1 pair that I also use at the computer.

EDIT: I also want to add that the last 4 or 5 eye Drs. I've tried, including the two this go round have told me that I would never have great vision again. It just can't be corrected to be perfectly clear. So I've suffered with not quite right glasses for years now. After this go round with the first eye Dr. who twice gave me wrong prescriptions and the next one who also twice gave me wrong prescriptions I finally have great eye sight! So don't give up. Order a test distance only pair from Zenni and then continue to make them correct the prescription in each eye until it is right. Wear your test pair in and have them manually hold a lens one increment up and down for each of the three numbers and see what it does to your eye sight.

Last edited by mic111; 03-14-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 AM

8,945 posts, read 7,721,438 times
I may have posted on this but I get an eye exam from an Opthamologist. I take the prescription and I and order my glasses from Zenni. I have been very satisfied.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 AM

2,215 posts, read 2,032,891 times
How do you get the frames adjusted to fit right?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 AM

Very easy. I just followed the tips in their on-line tutorial.
How to Adjust Your Eyeglasses Infographic | Zenni Optical

I have one ear higher than the other so have to make that adjustment. I just gently bend the frame with my hands.

I have to adjust the nose pads to be more oriented flatter to each other due to my nose shape. I also adjust the nose pads to be farther apart to lower them for the progressive. I also just do this with my hands although I do have jewelry pliers I can use if need be. They have no ridges on them so they won't damage the metal.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM

2,215 posts, read 2,032,891 times
Useful site, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement