U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,504,493 times

Advertisements

Here is my comparison of the three pairs of zenni progressives with different lens types and prices.

Pair #1 - Plain plastic lenses. This is the lowest price option. Optics are excellent. I always ask for polished edges. Lenses are the thickest of the 3. I ignored the recommended lens and got the cheapest. I've always found that the uncompressed plastic provides the best optics although you do trade off thickness for better optics. I got these with add on of +1.25 for good reading in addition to distance. The extra .25 makes a slight blurring around the edges due to the larger lens size than the other two pairs.
FRAME PRICE - $9.95
LENS 1.50 Digital Free Form Progressive (No-line multi-focal) - $27.95
AR ANTI-REFLECTION COATING Standard anti-reflective coating - $4.95
UNIT PRICE $42.85

Pair #2 - I wanted to try the blue blocker lenses so went for the cheapest blue blocker option. Lenses have a slight yellow cast due to blue blocking. Optics are very good. I had gotten these in +1 for the add on to my prescription for computer use and they are perfect. They have less lens at the edge and are excellent for no distortion around the edges. Great for computer and distance.
FRAME PRICE
$15.95
LENS Beyond UV 1.57 Mid-Index Progressive (No-line Multifocal) - $43.95
AR ANTI-REFLECTION COATING Standard blue Anti-Reflective Coating - FREE
UNIT PRICE $59.90

Pair #3 - Since I has such good luck I decided to buy the recommended option for the blue blocker lenses. They said these 1.61 high index progressives are recommended for optics. But they are the same thickness as pair #2 and the yellow color is the same. I chose +1.25 to have a pair of reading with the blue blocker lenses. The optics are not quite as good as the cheap plain plastic or the mid-index blue blockers. Very disappointed because this is the highest priced pair and it has the worst optics.
FRAME PRICE - $19.00
LENS Beyond UV 1.61 High-Index Progressive (No-line Multifocal) - $73.95
AR ANTI-REFLECTION COATING Standard blue Anti-Reflective Coating - FREE
UNIT PRICE - $92.95

So my recommendation is that if you want the best optics go for the cheapest plastic lenses. If you really want the blue blocker go for the cheapest option. The more they compress the lenses for mid or high index the poorer the optics are. They are still OK but when you can compare them side by side you see the difference.

I like the frames on pair #3 the best and am sorry I did not order it in a cheaper, better optics lens. However I would have always wondered if the "recommended" lens were the way to go. Now I know they are not.

Zenni has an excellent return policy and I got full credit less shipping back on 5 pairs before buying these. Thus I paid $0 for another pure distance pair, $0 for pair #1, $41.57 for pair #2 and $31.15 for pair #3. I like the frames on pair #3 so much I just might go back and order the same frame with the cheaper lenses. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times
What do you mean when you say the optics are not as good? Several months ago I got a pair of higher index lenses, 1.65 I think. And I'm wondering what I might have given up for thinner lenses.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 PM

I have a map with little tiny print on it. The print is both vertical and horizontal. I tested all three lenses with this map. The plain plastic sees the micro text perfectly clear whereas the high index lenses don't resolve the text as well. The mid index is in between.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,011,971 times
I stay with the same lense thickness as I tried switching and could not see properly. My lenses are fairly thick. Saving a bundle with Zenni, I like to "treat" myself to the thinner lenses and just whatever little extra I desire.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:11 PM

I wanted to mention to those fighting to get good eye prescriptions that I abandoned the prism modification that the Dr. recommended. One I got her to change the cylinder in one eye by holding up changes to the power by 1/4 unit in each direction and changes to the cylinder by 1/4 unit in each direction I found it wasn't the power or lack or prism that was the problem. It was that they had the cylinder wrong. All my eye strain and discomfort disappeared with that one change.

But their machines never detected it and at least the last 4 or 5 eye drs I've had never suspected it.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:17 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I wanted to mention to those fighting to get good eye prescriptions that I abandoned the prism modification that the Dr. recommended. One I got her to change the cylinder in one eye by holding up changes to the power by 1/4 unit in each direction and changes to the cylinder by 1/4 unit in each direction I found it wasn't the power or lack or prism that was the problem. It was that they had the cylinder wrong. All my eye strain and discomfort disappeared with that one change.

But their machines never detected it and at least the last 4 or 5 eye drs I've had never suspected it.
Were all the doctors you saw optometrists or ophthalmologists?

Old 06-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Were all the doctors you saw optometrists or ophthalmologists?
2 were opthalmologist and the other 3 were optometrists. The 1 opthalmologist was not very good at prescriptions because they did not do as many. This was per his own assistant as she was refunding me my money. He did well treating my eye infection however. The other opthalmologist I didn't bother going back to, I just switched to an optometrist so I don't know if he could have worked out a good prescription. One optometrist was lens crafters and based on his response when I reported I couldn't see my guess he has alot of clients who can't see with his prescriptions. One Costco optometrist I probably should have gone back to but he was the one before this set so instead I went to see a different Costco optometrist because she had great reviews and she really didn't know what she was doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement